update to posting guide: use 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

update to posting guide: use 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

Tony Plate-3
Some changes have been made to the posting guide, based on suggestions
from various R-help contributors over the past year.

The most significant change is the recommendation to use 'sessionInfo()'
  rather than 'version' when asking questions about unexpected behavior
or bugs.  This change was made because 'sessionInfo()' reports the
version and a list of packages currently attached.  As more and more
packages become available, it becomes more likely that unexpected
behavior is due to conflicts between packages, so this is relevant
information.

[Note that sessionInfo() currently does not report all the information
that 'version' does (it omits at least "Status" and "svn rev").  R-core
members are aware of this -- whether or not they change this is up to them.]

-- Tony Plate

Re: update to posting guide: use 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

Seth Falcon-2
I think using sessionInfo() instead of version is a good idea.

On 29 Dec 2005, [hidden email] wrote:
> [Note that sessionInfo() currently does not report all the
> information that 'version' does (it omits at least "Status" and "svn
> rev").  R-core members are aware of this -- whether or not they
> change this is up to them.]

Another thing not currently reported by sessionInfo() is a list of
loaded name spaces.  As more packages use name spaces and importing
dependencies instead of attaching them, this will become useful debug
info.

Loaded name spaces can be listed using loadedNamespaces().

+ seth