using R in a java application

Lothar Rubusch
Dear All,

I'd like to write a little application in java wich should pass some commands and data to R and displays the results (tables and charts) in a java frame. First I wanted to work with Omegahat's SJava but had lots of issues already at the installation.

Then I heard some rumors that SJava generally is not a very active project and runs rather buggy (that's true?). So my question is, are there alternatives to use R in a Java application, like other libraries? What would you recommend me? I appreciate any usefull links on that topic: Java and R.

Thank you in advance,
Lothar Rubusch

Re: using R in a java application

Romain François
Selon Lothar Rubusch <[hidden email]>:

> Dear All,
>
> I'd like to write a little application in java wich should pass some commands
> and data to R and displays the results (tables and charts) in a java frame.
> First I wanted to work with Omegahat's SJava but had lots of issues already
> at the installation.
>
> Then I heard some rumors that SJava generally is not a very active project
> and runs rather buggy (that's true?). So my question is, are there
> alternatives to use R in a Java application, like other libraries? What would
> you recommend me? I appreciate any usefull links on that topic: Java and R.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Lothar Rubusch

Hi,

Give Rserve a shot :
http://stats.math.uni-augsburg.de/Rserve/

Romain

Re: using R in a java application

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 9 April 2006 at 16:49, [hidden email] wrote:
| Selon Lothar Rubusch <[hidden email]>:
| > I'd like to write a little application in java wich should pass some commands
| > and data to R and displays the results (tables and charts) in a java frame.
| > First I wanted to work with Omegahat's SJava but had lots of issues already
| > at the installation.
| >
| > Then I heard some rumors that SJava generally is not a very active project
| > and runs rather buggy (that's true?). So my question is, are there
| > alternatives to use R in a Java application, like other libraries? What would
| > you recommend me? I appreciate any usefull links on that topic: Java and R.
| >
| > Thank you in advance,
| > Lothar Rubusch
|
| Hi,
|
| Give Rserve a shot :
| http://stats.math.uni-augsburg.de/Rserve/

Or maybe even rJava, also by Simon, and now on CRAN too.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison

Re: using R in a java application

Lothar Rubusch

Thank you all for your answers!

I started with the link to Rserve and continued to read about the JRI interface.
The JRI sounds to me slightly simplier than RServe, perhaps I'll give both
a try or would you recommend me rather to one of them?

Concerning RJava - well, I read that it is an interface for R applications,
connecting only from R to Java (?). Thus I haven't read more about it.

Lothar