v3.4.0-2 incompatible with gcc 7.1

Threaded

v3.4.0-2 incompatible with gcc 7.1

Chris Cole-2
I'm on Arch Linux kernel version 4.11.6-1 using gcc version 7.1.1:

gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 7.1.1 20170516

I have installed R through the arch package manager pacman and when I
attempt to initiate it, R crashes stating a missing dependency:

/usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries:
libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I thought that maybe a symlink was improperly placed in the package so I
looked in /usr/lib to try to find the offending library.

ls -halt /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 May 16 03:01 /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.4 ->
libgfortran.so.4.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7.1M May 16 03:01 /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.4.0.0

Simply symlinking libgfortran.so.4.0.0 to libgfortran.so.3 did not work,
and after some questioning on SO (
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44658867/r-v3-4-0-2-unable-to-find-libgfortran-so-3-on-arch)
it seems that gfortran 7 has bumped the .so object to version 4.

It seems that a relatively straightforward workaround for the present would
be to install a legacy version of gcc alongside the current version.

I'm wondering if Rcore or Rdevel are moving towards being able to handle
the new compiler version any time soon, and if there are any other
workarounds than having two versions of the compiler.

Thanks.

Chris

Threaded

Re: v3.4.0-2 incompatible with gcc 7.1

Prof Brian Ripley
R is compatible with GCC 7.1 !  New compiler versions are tested, as
well as those under development for the major compilers.  (A few
packages still fail with GCC 7.1, but that was reported to their
maintainers months ago.)

Just follow the instructions in the R-admin manual to install from sources.

OTOH, ' v3.4.0-2 ' is not an R version number, so I think you are
referring to binary distributions on your Linux distro, which are not
the responsibility of 'Rcore or Rdevel' (whatever they are).

On 23/06/2017 14:40, Chris Cole wrote:

> I'm on Arch Linux kernel version 4.11.6-1 using gcc version 7.1.1:
>
> gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 7.1.1 20170516
>
> I have installed R through the arch package manager pacman and when I
> attempt to initiate it, R crashes stating a missing dependency:
>
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I thought that maybe a symlink was improperly placed in the package so I
> looked in /usr/lib to try to find the offending library.
>
> ls -halt /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 May 16 03:01 /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.4 ->
> libgfortran.so.4.0.0
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7.1M May 16 03:01 /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.4.0.0
>
> Simply symlinking libgfortran.so.4.0.0 to libgfortran.so.3 did not work,
> and after some questioning on SO (
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44658867/r-v3-4-0-2-unable-to-find-libgfortran-so-3-on-arch)
> it seems that gfortran 7 has bumped the .so object to version 4.
>
> It seems that a relatively straightforward workaround for the present would
> be to install a legacy version of gcc alongside the current version.
>
> I'm wondering if Rcore or Rdevel are moving towards being able to handle
> the new compiler version any time soon, and if there are any other
> workarounds than having two versions of the compiler.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chris

Threaded

Re: v3.4.0-2 incompatible with gcc 7.1

Chris Cole-2
Thank you for correcting my misunderstandings, Professor. Compiling from
source did the trick, and I'll be following up with the arch maintainers
about addressing the issue on their end.

Best,

Chris

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 11:02 Prof Brian Ripley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> R is compatible with GCC 7.1 !  New compiler versions are tested, as
> well as those under development for the major compilers.  (A few
> packages still fail with GCC 7.1, but that was reported to their
> maintainers months ago.)
>
> Just follow the instructions in the R-admin manual to install from sources.
>
> OTOH, ' v3.4.0-2 ' is not an R version number, so I think you are
> referring to binary distributions on your Linux distro, which are not
> the responsibility of 'Rcore or Rdevel' (whatever they are).
>
> On 23/06/2017 14:40, Chris Cole wrote:
> > I'm on Arch Linux kernel version 4.11.6-1 using gcc version 7.1.1:
> >
> > gcc --version
> > gcc (GCC) 7.1.1 20170516
> >
> > I have installed R through the arch package manager pacman and when I
> > attempt to initiate it, R crashes stating a missing dependency:
> >
> > /usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries:
> > libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> >
> > I thought that maybe a symlink was improperly placed in the package so I
> > looked in /usr/lib to try to find the offending library.
> >
> > ls -halt /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.*
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 May 16 03:01 /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.4 ->
> > libgfortran.so.4.0.0
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7.1M May 16 03:01 /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.4.0.0
> >
> > Simply symlinking libgfortran.so.4.0.0 to libgfortran.so.3 did not work,
> > and after some questioning on SO (
> >
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44658867/r-v3-4-0-2-unable-to-find-libgfortran-so-3-on-arch
> )
> > it seems that gfortran 7 has bumped the .so object to version 4.
> >
> > It seems that a relatively straightforward workaround for the present
> would
> > be to install a legacy version of gcc alongside the current version.
> >
> > I'm wondering if Rcore or Rdevel are moving towards being able to handle
> > the new compiler version any time soon, and if there are any other
> > workarounds than having two versions of the compiler.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Chris

> Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
> Emeritus Professor of Applied Statistics, University of Oxford

Threaded

Re: v3.4.0-2 incompatible with gcc 7.1

Ista Zahn
FWIW, I don't have any problems with R on Arch Linux.

On Jun 23, 2017 1:32 PM, "Chris Cole" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for correcting my misunderstandings, Professor. Compiling from
> source did the trick, and I'll be following up with the arch maintainers
> about addressing the issue on their end.
>
> Best,
>
> Chris
>
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 11:02 Prof Brian Ripley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > R is compatible with GCC 7.1 !  New compiler versions are tested, as
> > well as those under development for the major compilers.  (A few
> > packages still fail with GCC 7.1, but that was reported to their
> > maintainers months ago.)
> >
> > Just follow the instructions in the R-admin manual to install from
> sources.
> >
> > OTOH, ' v3.4.0-2 ' is not an R version number, so I think you are
> > referring to binary distributions on your Linux distro, which are not
> > the responsibility of 'Rcore or Rdevel' (whatever they are).
> >
> > On 23/06/2017 14:40, Chris Cole wrote:
> > > I'm on Arch Linux kernel version 4.11.6-1 using gcc version 7.1.1:
> > >
> > > gcc --version
> > > gcc (GCC) 7.1.1 20170516
> > >
> > > I have installed R through the arch package manager pacman and when I
> > > attempt to initiate it, R crashes stating a missing dependency:
> > >
> > > /usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries:
> > > libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory
> > >
> > > I thought that maybe a symlink was improperly placed in the package so
> > > looked in /usr/lib to try to find the offending library.
> > >
> > > ls -halt /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.*
> > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 May 16 03:01 /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.4 ->
> > > libgfortran.so.4.0.0
> > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7.1M May 16 03:01 /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.4.0.0
> > >
> > > Simply symlinking libgfortran.so.4.0.0 to libgfortran.so.3 did not
> work,
> > > and after some questioning on SO (
> > >
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44658867/r-v3-4-0-2-
> unable-to-find-libgfortran-so-3-on-arch
> > )
> > > it seems that gfortran 7 has bumped the .so object to version 4.
> > >
> > > It seems that a relatively straightforward workaround for the present
> > would
> > > be to install a legacy version of gcc alongside the current version.
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if Rcore or Rdevel are moving towards being able to
> handle
> > > the new compiler version any time soon, and if there are any other
> > > workarounds than having two versions of the compiler.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >
> > >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> > --
> > Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
> > Emeritus Professor of Applied Statistics, University of Oxford

Threaded

Re: v3.4.0-2 incompatible with gcc 7.1

Chris Cole-2
Thanks Ista, that's good to know. Did you install from pacman?

Chris

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 20:35 Ista Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW, I don't have any problems with R on Arch Linux.
>
> On Jun 23, 2017 1:32 PM, "Chris Cole" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for correcting my misunderstandings, Professor. Compiling from
>> source did the trick, and I'll be following up with the arch maintainers
>> about addressing the issue on their end.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 11:02 Prof Brian Ripley <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > R is compatible with GCC 7.1 !  New compiler versions are tested, as
>> > well as those under development for the major compilers.  (A few
>> > packages still fail with GCC 7.1, but that was reported to their
>> > maintainers months ago.)
>> >
>> > Just follow the instructions in the R-admin manual to install from
>> sources.
>> >
>> > OTOH, ' v3.4.0-2 ' is not an R version number, so I think you are
>> > referring to binary distributions on your Linux distro, which are not
>> > the responsibility of 'Rcore or Rdevel' (whatever they are).

>> > directory

>> so I

>> work,
>> > >

>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44658867/r-v3-4-0-2-unable-to-find-libgfortran-so-3-on-arch
>> > )

>> > would

>> handle

>> > --
>> > Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
>> > Emeritus Professor of Applied Statistics, University of Oxford

Threaded

Re: v3.4.0-2 incompatible with gcc 7.1

Ista Zahn
Yes, regular install from the official repositories, all packages up
to date, works like a charm. I'm happy to follow up with you off-list
if you like, since this probably isn't interesting to a general R-user
audience.

Best,
Ista