Quantcast

weird error: Coercing LHS to a list

Nick Matzke
Hi all!  I'm trying to build a simple class, but I'm getting
a weird error.

E.g. if I do:

==========
gregion = setClass("gregion", contains = "data.frame",
representation(name = "character", poly.x = "numeric",
poly.y = "numeric" ))

gregion$name = "North America"
==========

Then I get this message:

Warning message:
In gregion$name = "North America" : Coercing LHS to a list

...although it appears to work, I'd rather not have
disturbing mysterious error messages (what's LHS?)...

Cheers!
Nick

Nicholas J. Matzke
Ph.D. Candidate, Graduate Student Researcher
Huelsenbeck Lab
Center for Theoretical Evolutionary Genomics
4151 VLSB (Valley Life Sciences Building)
Department of Integrative Biology
University of California, Berkeley

Graduate Student Instructor, IB200A
Principles of Phylogenetics: Systematics
http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses/ib200a/index.shtml

Lab websites:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/lab_detail.php?lab=54
http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/hlab.html
Dept. personal page:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/students/person_detail.php?person=370
Lab personal page:
http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/members/matzke.html
Lab phone: 510-643-6299
Dept. fax: 510-643-6264
Cell phone: 510-301-0179
Email: [hidden email]

Mailing address:
Department of Integrative Biology
3060 VLSB #3140
Berkeley, CA 94720-3140

"[W]hen people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong.
When people thought the earth was spherical, they were
wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical
is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your
view is wronger than both of them put together."

Isaac Asimov (1989). "The Relativity of Wrong." The
Skeptical Inquirer, 14(1), 35-44. Fall 1989.
http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

Re: weird error: Coercing LHS to a list

Nick Matzke
Wow, did I stump everyone with this?  Mostly I'd just like
to build a class without getting the error below.

Cheers!
Nick

Nick Matzke wrote:

> Hi all!  I'm trying to build a simple class, but I'm getting a weird error.
>
> E.g. if I do:
>
> ==========
> gregion = setClass("gregion", contains = "data.frame",
> representation(name = "character", poly.x = "numeric", poly.y =
> "numeric" ))
>
> gregion$name = "North America"
> ==========
>

> Then I get this message:
>
> Warning message:
> In gregion$name = "North America" : Coercing LHS to a list
>
> ...although it appears to work, I'd rather not have disturbing
> mysterious error messages (what's LHS?)...
>
> Cheers!
> Nick

Nicholas J. Matzke
Ph.D. Candidate, Graduate Student Researcher
Huelsenbeck Lab
Center for Theoretical Evolutionary Genomics
4151 VLSB (Valley Life Sciences Building)
Department of Integrative Biology
University of California, Berkeley

Graduate Student Instructor, IB200A
Principles of Phylogenetics: Systematics
http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses/ib200a/index.shtml

Lab websites:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/lab_detail.php?lab=54
http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/hlab.html
Dept. personal page:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/students/person_detail.php?person=370
Lab personal page:
http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/members/matzke.html
Lab phone: 510-643-6299
Dept. fax: 510-643-6264
Cell phone: 510-301-0179
Email: [hidden email]

Mailing address:
Department of Integrative Biology
3060 VLSB #3140
Berkeley, CA 94720-3140

"[W]hen people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong.
When people thought the earth was spherical, they were
wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical
is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your
view is wronger than both of them put together."

Isaac Asimov (1989). "The Relativity of Wrong." The
Skeptical Inquirer, 14(1), 35-44. Fall 1989.
http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

Re: weird error: Coercing LHS to a list

David Winsemius

On Jun 20, 2010, at 5:40 PM, Nick Matzke wrote:

> Wow, did I stump everyone with this?  Mostly I'd just like to build
> a class without getting the error below.

Hardly.

a) LHS= left hand side
b) It is not an error message in the first place, and for another
thing, why are you creating instances of a class with the same name as
the class?

> Cheers!
> Nick
>
> Nick Matzke wrote:
>> Hi all!  I'm trying to build a simple class, but I'm getting a
>> weird error.
>> E.g. if I do:
>> ==========
>> gregion = setClass("gregion", contains = "data.frame",
>> representation(name = "character", poly.x = "numeric", poly.y =
>> "numeric" ))
>> gregion$name = "North America"
>> ==========
>> Then I get this message:
>> Warning message:
>> In gregion$name = "North America" : Coercing LHS to a list
>> ...although it appears to work, I'd rather not have disturbing
>> mysterious error messages (what's LHS?)...
>> Cheers!
>> Nick

> Nicholas J. Matzke
> Ph.D. Candidate, Graduate Student Researcher
> Huelsenbeck Lab
> Center for Theoretical Evolutionary Genomics
> 4151 VLSB (Valley Life Sciences Building)
> Department of Integrative Biology
> University of California, Berkeley
>
> Graduate Student Instructor, IB200A
> Principles of Phylogenetics: Systematics
> http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses/ib200a/index.shtml
>
> Lab websites:
> http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/lab_detail.php?lab=54
> http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/hlab.html
> Dept. personal page: http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/students/person_detail.php?person=370
> Lab personal page: http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/members/matzke.html
> Lab phone: 510-643-6299
> Dept. fax: 510-643-6264
> Cell phone: 510-301-0179
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Mailing address:
> Department of Integrative Biology
> 3060 VLSB #3140
> Berkeley, CA 94720-3140

> "[W]hen people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When
> people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you
> think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as
> thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of
> them put together."
>
> Isaac Asimov (1989). "The Relativity of Wrong." The Skeptical
> Inquirer, 14(1), 35-44. Fall 1989.
> http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

On Jun 20, 2010, at 6:12 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2010, at 5:40 PM, Nick Matzke wrote:
>
>> Wow, did I stump everyone with this?  Mostly I'd just like to build
>> a class without getting the error below.
>
> Hardly.
>
> a) LHS= left hand side
> b) It is not an error message in the first place, and for another
> thing, why are you creating instances of a class with the same name
> as the class?

( You probably need to look at the documentation for new(). )

>> Cheers!
>> Nick
>>
>> Nick Matzke wrote:
>>> Hi all!  I'm trying to build a simple class, but I'm getting a
>>> weird error.
>>> E.g. if I do:
>>> ==========
>>> gregion = setClass("gregion", contains = "data.frame",
>>> representation(name = "character", poly.x = "numeric", poly.y =
>>> "numeric" ))
>>> gregion$name = "North America"
>>> ==========
>>> Then I get this message:
>>> Warning message:
>>> In gregion$name = "North America" : Coercing LHS to a list
>>> ...although it appears to work, I'd rather not have disturbing
>>> mysterious error messages (what's LHS?)...
>>> Cheers!
>>> Nick
>>
>> --
>> Nicholas J. Matzke
>> Ph.D. Candidate, Graduate Student Researcher
>> Huelsenbeck Lab
>> Center for Theoretical Evolutionary Genomics
>> 4151 VLSB (Valley Life Sciences Building)
>> Department of Integrative Biology
>> University of California, Berkeley
>>
>> Graduate Student Instructor, IB200A
>> Principles of Phylogenetics: Systematics
>> http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses/ib200a/index.shtml
>>
>> Lab websites:
>> http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/lab_detail.php?lab=54
>> http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/hlab.html
>> Dept. personal page: http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/students/person_detail.php?person=370
>> Lab personal page: http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/members/
>> matzke.html
>> Lab phone: 510-643-6299
>> Dept. fax: 510-643-6264
>> Cell phone: 510-301-0179
>> Email: [hidden email]
>>
>> Mailing address:
>> Department of Integrative Biology
>> 3060 VLSB #3140
>> Berkeley, CA 94720-3140

>> "[W]hen people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When
>> people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you
>> think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as
>> thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of
>> them put together."
>>
>> Isaac Asimov (1989). "The Relativity of Wrong." The Skeptical
>> Inquirer, 14(1), 35-44. Fall 1989.
>> http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

> David Winsemius, MD
> West Hartford, CT