why did not data.table work?

LosemindL
Hi all,

I am wondering what's wrong with my following code?

x=read.table('c:\\llll.txt');

Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file 'c:\llll.txt', reason 'No such file or directory'

what's wrong?

Thanks

Re: why did not data.table work?

Gabor Grothendieck
The error message seems pretty clear in this case.  It can't
find the file.  Try this instead:

x <- read.table(file.choose())

and then use the resulting GUI to locate the file.

On 1/27/06, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering what's wrong with my following code?
>
> x=read.table('c:\\llll.txt');
>
> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open file 'c:\llll.txt', reason 'No such file or directory'
>

> what's wrong?
>
> Thanks

Re: why did not data.table work?

LosemindL
yes, the error message was extremely clear; but what was also very clear was
that the file definitely exists under c:\ directory...

On 1/26/06, Gabor Grothendieck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The error message seems pretty clear in this case.  It can't
> find the file.  Try this instead:
>
> x <- read.table(file.choose())
>
> and then use the resulting GUI to locate the file.
>

> On 1/27/06, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am wondering what's wrong with my following code?
> >
> > x=read.table('c:\\llll.txt');
> >
> > Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> > In addition: Warning message:
> > cannot open file 'c:\llll.txt', reason 'No such file or directory'
> >

> > what's wrong?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: why did not data.table work?

Ben Bolker
Michael <comtech.usa <at> gmail.com> writes:

> yes, the error message was extremely clear; but what was also very clear was
> that the file definitely exists under c:\ directory...

what happens with

file.exists('c:\\llll.txt')
?

 (presumably the same error)

  also try

 f=file.choose()

select the file in the browser and then see what R thinks
f is.

  My guess is that there's a hidden extension here somewhere ...

  Ben Bolker