xtractomatic package

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal
xtractomatic R package for accessing environmental data

xtractomatic is an R package developed to subset and extract satellite and other oceanographic related data from a remote server. The program can extract data for a moving point in time along a user-supplied set of longitude, latitude and time points; in a 3D bounding box; or within a polygon (through time). The xtractomatic functions were originally developed for the marine biology tagging community, to match up environmental data available from satellites (sea-surface temperature, sea-surface chlorophyll, sea-surface height, sea-surface salinity, vector winds) to track data from various tagged animals or shiptracks (xtracto). The package has since been extended to include the routines that extract data a 3D bounding box (xtracto_3D) or within a polygon (xtractogon). The xtractomatic package accesses data that are served through the ERDDAP (Environmental Research Division Data Access Program) server at the NOAA/SWFSC Environmental Research Division in Santa Cruz, California!
 . The ERDDAP server can also be directly accessed at http://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/erddap. ERDDAP is a simple to use yet powerful web data service developed by Bob Simons.

At present the package can access well over 100TB of data.  Due to some problems with certain required packages and CRAN  (most notably ncdf4) xtractomatic at present is only available through Github.  Instructions for installation are at:

https://github.com/rmendels/xtractomatic

-Roy M.

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
NOAA/NMFS
Environmental Research Division
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
***Note new address and phone***
110 Shaffer Road
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)-420-3666
Fax: (831) 420-3980
e-mail: [hidden email] www: http://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/

Re: xtractomatic package

Michael Sumner-2
Wow, thank you! This is a very important contribution to our research
community.

Cheers,  Mike