A trivial plot gives open circles as the plot char but another one gives me "q"s . . why is this?

A trivial plot gives open circles as the plot char but another one gives me "q"s . . why is this?

philip_rhoades
People,

On my home computer with a real plot I get what I expect - open circles
as the plot character - on my work computer I get "q"s !  So I tried a
trivial test plot on the work computer ie:

  a <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
  b <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
  plot(a,b)

and that also gives me open circles as it should! - the plot line in my
real script is:

  plot( means5[ ,4 ], means6[ ,4 ], xlab="640loci-50reps Gen4(-1) Rst",
ylab="ADf" )

I have tried adding the "pch=x" command with no effect . . what is
going on?  (Both computers have the same fonts installed although the
home computer is Fedora 16 and the work one is Fedora 15).  It is very
frustrating . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: A trivial plot gives open circles as the plot char but another one gives me "q"s . . why is this?

Peter Dalgaard-2

On Apr 3, 2012, at 07:19 , Philip Rhoades wrote:

> People,
>
> On my home computer with a real plot I get what I expect - open circles as the plot character - on my work computer I get "q"s !  So I tried a trivial test plot on the work computer ie:

Argh. I have forgotten this before... There was a configuration issue leading to plotting symbols showing up as "q", but I can't recall the details. Possibly libpango-related (do you have it installed?)

-pd

> a <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
> b <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
> plot(a,b)
>
> and that also gives me open circles as it should! - the plot line in my real script is:
>
> plot( means5[ ,4 ], means6[ ,4 ], xlab="640loci-50reps Gen4(-1) Rst", ylab="ADf" )
>
> I have tried adding the "pch=x" command with no effect . . what is going on?  (Both computers have the same fonts installed although the home computer is Fedora 16 and the work one is Fedora 15).  It is very frustrating . .
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
> --
> Philip Rhoades
>
> GPO Box 3411
> Sydney NSW 2001
> Australia
> E-mail:  [hidden email]

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501

Re: A trivial plot gives open circles as the plot char but another one gives me "q"s . . why is this?

Prof Brian Ripley
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, peter dalgaard wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2012, at 07:19 , Philip Rhoades wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> On my home computer with a real plot I get what I expect - open
>> circles as the plot character - on my work computer I get "q"s !
>> So I tried a trivial test plot on the work computer ie:
>>

> Argh. I have forgotten this before... There was a configuration
> issue leading to plotting symbols showing up as "q", but I can't
> recall the details. Possibly libpango-related (do you have it
> installed?)

We were not told the device ....  This is well-known for pdf() and
poppler-based PDF viewers so you could try the workaround in ?pdf.

I don't really see how this could happen on the default X11 device, as
it draws circles rather than uses fonts.

> -pd
>

>> a <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
>> b <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
>> plot(a,b)
>>
>> and that also gives me open circles as it should! - the plot line
>> in my real script is:
>>
>> plot( means5[ ,4 ], means6[ ,4 ], xlab="640loci-50reps Gen4(-1) Rst", ylab="ADf" )
>>
>> I have tried adding the "pch=x" command with no effect . . what is
>> going on?  (Both computers have the same fonts installed although
>> the home computer is Fedora 16 and the work one is Fedora 15).  It
>> is very frustrating . .
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.
>> --
>> Philip Rhoades
>>
>> GPO Box 3411
>> Sydney NSW 2001
>> Australia
>> E-mail:  [hidden email]

> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> Phone: (+45)38153501

Re: A trivial plot gives open circles as the plot char but another one gives me "q"s . . why is this?

David Winsemius

On Apr 3, 2012, at 1:19 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> People,
>
> On my home computer with a real plot I get what I expect - open
> circles as the plot character - on my work computer I get "q"s !  So
> I tried a trivial test plot on the work computer ie:
>
> a <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
> b <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
> plot(a,b)
>
> and that also gives me open circles as it should! - the plot line in
> my real script is:
>
> plot( means5[ ,4 ], means6[ ,4 ], xlab="640loci-50reps Gen4(-1)
> Rst", ylab="ADf" )
>
> I have tried adding the "pch=x" command with no effect . .

Did you actually type pch=x  ?

Not pch="x" ?

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: A trivial plot gives open circles as the plot char but another one gives me "q"s . . why is this?

philip_rhoades
Brian,

On 2012-04-03 18:58, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, peter dalgaard wrote:
>

>> On Apr 3, 2012, at 07:19 , Philip Rhoades wrote:
>>
>>> People,
>>>
>>> On my home computer with a real plot I get what I expect - open
>>> circles as the plot character - on my work computer I get "q"s ! So I
>>> tried a trivial test plot on the work computer ie:
>>>

>> Argh. I have forgotten this before... There was a configuration
>> issue leading to plotting symbols showing up as "q", but I can't
>> recall the details. Possibly libpango-related (do you have it
>> installed?)

At home, yes:

pango-1.29.4-1.fc16.x86_64
pangomm-2.28.3-1.fc16.x86_64

(I will need to check work).

> We were not told the device ....  This is well-known for pdf() and
> poppler-based PDF viewers so you could try the workaround in ?pdf.

Yes, I was outputting to pdf in all cases . . do you mean this
workaround?:

"useDingbats
logical. Should small circles be rendered via the Dingbats font?
Defaults to TRUE, which produces smaller and better output. Setting this
to FALSE can work around font display problems in broken PDF viewers."

> I don't really see how this could happen on the default X11 device,
> as it draws circles rather than uses fonts.

Ah . . when I was testing on the problem work machine and doing the
trivial test . . I was outputting to the screen . . so if I repeat the
trivial test on the work machine (I am at home now) to PDF I should get
the same problem as I do on the real script?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: A trivial plot gives open circles as the plot char but another one gives me "q"s . . why is this?

philip_rhoades
David,

On 2012-04-03 22:29, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2012, at 1:19 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> On my home computer with a real plot I get what I expect - open
>> circles as the plot character - on my work computer I get "q"s !  So
>> I tried a trivial test plot on the work computer ie:
>>
>> a <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
>> b <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
>> plot(a,b)
>>
>> and that also gives me open circles as it should! - the plot line in
>> my real script is:
>>
>> plot( means5[ ,4 ], means6[ ,4 ], xlab="640loci-50reps Gen4(-1)
>> Rst", ylab="ADf" )
>>
>> I have tried adding the "pch=x" command with no effect . .
>
> Did you actually type pch=x  ?
>
> Not pch="x" ?

Sorry, I meant x as in 1,2,3, . . . 18

Thanks,