About Tinn-R

Marcos Prunello
Hi everybody!!

I don`t know if it is correct to make a question about R and Tinn-R in this mailing-list, but I need some help with a problem for which I don't find a solution anywhere.

I have Tinn-R 2.3.5.2 in my notebook and I always used it with no problems, until a few days ago when this signs appears everytime I start the programme:

"Key Violation.
C:/Documents and Settings/Marcos/Datos de programa/Tinn-R
Serious problem reading ini files!
Tinn-R can not be initiated.
Please, try to rename (or remove) the folder above and restart the program!"

I don't know what that means, I don`t have such folder in my notebook, and I always used it normally and suddenly it doesn't work anymore.

I unistalled it and installed again several times, and I tried with the newest version of R and TinnR too. I can`t find help in internet, and I also cleaned the registry of the computer.

Thanks in advance!!

Marcos from Argentina

Re: About Tinn-R

Steve Lianoglou-6
Hi,

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Marcos Prunello <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody!!
>
> I don`t know if it is correct to make a question about R and Tinn-R in this mailing-list, but I need some help with a problem for which I don't find a solution anywhere.

If you go to Tinn-R's "Support" section at sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinn-r/support

There is a sentence there that says:

Tinn-R says the best way to get help with its software is by using its
forum Open Discussion.

And provides a link to:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinn-r/forums/forum/481900

So I guess you'll have better luck with an answer if you post your
question there.

Also, rstudio is meant to be a nice IDE (in development) that you
might want to try if Tinn-R keeps giving you problems:

http://www.rstudio.org/

-steve

> I have Tinn-R 2.3.5.2 in my notebook and I always used it with no problems, until a few days ago when this signs appears everytime I start the programme:
>
> "Key Violation.
> C:/Documents and Settings/Marcos/Datos de programa/Tinn-R
> Serious problem reading ini files!
> Tinn-R can not be initiated.
> Please, try to rename (or remove) the folder above and restart the program!"
>
> I don't know what that means, I don`t have such folder in my notebook, and I always used it normally and suddenly it doesn't work anymore.
>
> I unistalled it and installed again several times, and I tried with the newest version of R and TinnR too. I can`t find help in internet, and I also cleaned the registry of the computer.
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Marcos from Argentina

Steve Lianoglou

Re: About Tinn-R

Kenneth Roy Cabrera Torres
Dear Marcos:

Did you try this version (version 2.3.7.1)?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinn-r/

Does is show the same messages?

What R version are you using?

It seems more a problem with the OS that with R or Tinn-R.

When you uninstall Tinn-R, do you check any file left in the folder:
C:/Documents and Settings/Marcos/Datos de programa/

If there are some, erase them manualy.

If the problem persist, try to rename them with different extension
like ".XXX" and reinstall the program.

Maybe is a problem with a bad sector in the hard disk.

Check the hard disk to see if it is the case.

Hope this helps.

Kenneth

El dom, 10-04-2011 a las 14:13 -0700, Marcos Prunello escribió:

> Hi everybody!!
>
> I don`t know if it is correct to make a question about R and Tinn-R in this mailing-list, but I need some help with a problem for which I don't find a solution anywhere.
>
> I have Tinn-R 2.3.5.2 in my notebook and I always used it with no problems, until a few days ago when this signs appears everytime I start the programme:
>
> "Key Violation.
> C:/Documents and Settings/Marcos/Datos de programa/Tinn-R
> Serious problem reading ini files!
> Tinn-R can not be initiated.
> Please, try to rename (or remove) the folder above and restart the program!"
>
> I don't know what that means, I don`t have such folder in my notebook, and I always used it normally and suddenly it doesn't work anymore.
>
> I unistalled it and installed again several times, and I tried with the newest version of R and TinnR too. I can`t find help in internet, and I also cleaned the registry of the computer.
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Marcos from Argentina

Re: About Tinn-R

JCFaria
Dear Marcos,

Sorry, It is very difficult for me to know what happened on your computer!

The fact is that the structure of the ini are corrupted. In this place Tinn-R stores all user preferences and configurations.

It will really necessary to rename (or remove: in this case all your prior configuration will be lost whether you do not have a backup made by Tinn-R) the folder "Tinn-R" located, in your computer, at C:/Documents and Settings/Marcos/Datos de programa/

To make this folder visible, give a looked in the links below:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/display-hidden-folders-in-xp/
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-hide-files-and-folders-in-windows-xp-the-easy-way/

After to rename/remove the "Tinn-R" folder start Tinn-R program: it will create a new ini folder.

HTH,
JCFaria

Re: About Tinn-R

PereiraGA
Hello JCFaria,

I have the same problem Tinn-R (Marcos' problem), and your comments help me.

tanks

PereiraGA