Accents and special character using hwriter (on Windows)

Accents and special character using hwriter (on Windows)

ramonovelar
Hello,

I have a problem with special characters such as "í" or "ñ" when using hwriter. This only happens when I use windows, it works fine on mac. If I do:

print(datosdv)
"Ciencias Sociales y Jurídicas n:74 | 33.94%"

but:

hwrite(datosdv, p, br=TRUE)
"Ciencias Sociales y Jur�dicas n:74 | 33.94%"

The bad sign is in the code, is not a problem of the encoding of the html page, that is in UTF-8.

Does anybody have found this? Many thanks in advance.
Ramón

Re: Accents and special character using hwriter (on Windows)

arun kirshna
Hello,

I tried your code in R 2.15 with Ubuntu 12.04.  It looks okay to me.

datosdv<-"Ciencias Sociales y Jurídicas n:74 | 33.94%"
 print(datosdv)
#[1] "Ciencias Sociales y Jurídicas n:74 | 33.94%"
 library(hwriter)
 p=openPage('test.html')
 hwrite(datosdv,p,br=TRUE)

#test.html output
Ciencias Sociales y Jurídicas n:74 | 33.94%

Probably, it must be specific with the windows.  Are you using windows7?

A.K.

Re: [R] Accents and special character using hwriter (on Windows)

ramonovelar
Thanks Arun,
Yes, I have Windows 7. I have tried 2 versions of R, 2.14.1 and 2.15.x, but it did not change anything.
Right now I can't try a different version of win.

Ramón

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012, arun kirshna [via R] wrote:
[...]

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Accents-and-special-character-using-hwriter-on-Windows-tp4638474p4638501.html
To unsubscribe from Accents and special character using hwriter (on Windows), click here.
NAML

--
==================================
Ramón Ovelar

Re: Accents and special character using hwriter (on Windows)

David Scott-6
The safest way to include special characters is to use a character code.
You are at the mercy of the browser otherwise and browsers behave very
differently when confronted with unusual things.

You don't mention which browser you are using on Windows, which is a
severe gap in the information you provided.

Here is an example which has been tested on Windows using IE, Firefox,
Safari and Chrome (recent versions of all, I can't be bothered checking
the versions). It also renders correctly if the file is opened in Word
(versions based on xml).

require(hwriter)
pg <- openPage("specialcharacters.html")
hwrite("Test Special Characters", pg, heading = 1, br = TRUE)
hwrite("Ciencias Sociales y Jur&iacute;dicas n:74 | 33.94%", pg, br = TRUE)
hwrite("Ciencias Sociales y Jur&#237;dicas n:74 | 33.94%", pg, br = TRUE)
closePage(pg)

For other special character codes, see for example
http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

David Scott

On 31/07/2012 9:21 p.m., ramonovelar wrote:

> Thanks Arun,
> Yes, I have Windows 7. I have tried 2 versions of R, 2.14.1 and 2.15.x, but
> it did not change anything.
> Right now I can't try a different version of win.
>
> Ramón
>
> On Tuesday, July 31, 2012, arun kirshna [via R] wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I tried your code in R 2.15 with Ubuntu 12.04.  It looks okay to me.
>>
>> datosdv<-"Ciencias Sociales y Jurídicas n:74 | 33.94%"
>>   print(datosdv)
>> #[1] "Ciencias Sociales y Jurídicas n:74 | 33.94%"
>>   library(hwriter)
>>   p=openPage('test.html')
>>   hwrite(datosdv,p,br=TRUE)
>>
>> #test.html output
>> Ciencias Sociales y Jurídicas n:74 | 33.94%
>>
>> Probably, it must be specific with the windows.  Are you using windows7?
>>

>> A.K.

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

David Scott Department of Statistics
                The University of Auckland, PB 92019
                Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email: [hidden email],  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Re: Accents and special character using hwriter (on Windows)

ramonovelar
Thanks David, but this is not easy to me as these string are already in my data (labels, variable strings). Well, I still can make some script to do it, but it's messy, maybe I want make a Word file (not a html through Word) after this. When a HTML page has a UTF-8 charset it works ok with characters such as í or ñ.  It seems that it's a Windows (maybe just Win7) issue. I will try to find out a bit when I come back to work.