ActiveTCL has non open-source license

Vassil Kakaradov
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Installing-R-under-macOS
https://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads links to ActiveTCL which
has non open-source license:
http://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.5/get/license/
"ActiveState Confidential Information includes the Software, including all
source and object code, and all associated documentation, but not
Accessible Code."

Re: ActiveTCL has non open-source license

Peter Dalgaard-2
Yes, it is annoying but may or may not be an issue for end users. Tcl and Tk are themselves OpenSource and GPL compatible but their license is less stringent than GPL, which allows ActiveState to close up their version (which AFAIK only adds the convenience of a binary install). If you are bothered by it, compile from sources. This is what Simon Urbanek does for the CRAN Mac binaries.

Regarding legal issues, I believe this only bites if you both compile R against ActiveTcl _and_ try to redistribute the binary.

> On 8 Apr 2019, at 04:39 , Vassil Kakaradov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Installing-R-under-macOS
> https://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads links to ActiveTCL which
> has non open-source license:
> http://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.5/get/license/
> "ActiveState Confidential Information includes the Software, including all
> source and object code, and all associated documentation, but not
> Accessible Code."

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23