Addition of a meta viewport tag to HTML manuals

Addition of a meta viewport tag to HTML manuals

Bob Rudis
The addition of a single line:

at in the <head> of the R HTML generated manuals would make them much easier to read on mobile devices.

texi2any (which generates the HTML files) is based on long-working Perl code that includes many modern HTML elements but does not include this one.

A Perl one-liner in the install-html: Makefile directive in Makefile.in:

    install-html: installdirs
      @for f in $(OBJECTS_HTML); do \
        if test -f $${f} ; then \
          $(INSTALL_DATA) $${f} "$(DESTDIR)$(rdocdir)/manual"; \
          perl -pi -e 's/\<meta name="desc/<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">\n<meta name="desc/' "$(DESTDIR)$(rdocdir)/manual/*.html"; \
        fi \
      done

would insert this (I still need to read Makefile.win to see where it should go there) and I'd be glad to create a PR unless folks do not think better accessibility on mobile is a good idea.

$(PERL) does not seem to be defined but Perl itself is a requirement for texi2any so it is definitely something that would work in the current installation process.

-Bob

Re: Addition of a meta viewport tag to HTML manuals

Martin Maechler

    > The addition of a single line:

    > at in the <head> of the R HTML generated manuals would make them much easier to read on mobile devices.

    > texi2any (which generates the HTML files) is based on long-working Perl code that includes many modern HTML elements but does not include this one.

    > A Perl one-liner in the install-html: Makefile directive in Makefile.in:

    > install-html: installdirs
    > @for f in $(OBJECTS_HTML); do \
    > if test -f $${f} ; then \
    > $(INSTALL_DATA) $${f} "$(DESTDIR)$(rdocdir)/manual"; \
    > perl -pi -e 's/\<meta name="desc/<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">\n<meta name="desc/' "$(DESTDIR)$(rdocdir)/manual/*.html"; \
    > fi \
    > done

    > would insert this (I still need to read Makefile.win to see where it should go there) and I'd be glad to create a PR unless folks do not think better accessibility on mobile is a good idea.

To the contrary.
Thank you very much, Bob, for bringing this up, here!

    > $(PERL) does not seem to be defined but Perl itself is a requirement for texi2any so it is definitely something that would work in the current installation process.

    > -Bob

Hmm,.. a very long time ago,  perl was an absolute requirement
for building R from the sources, but in the mean time, it's not
been required anymore strictly *).  AFAIK, there are alternative versions
of versions/alternatives to texi2any  (say on Windoze .. or
bizarre Linux distros or non-linux unices), and I'm almost sure
we do not want to require perl explicitly.

We are using R itself in many places for installation things,
but here, it should be possible to use smaller unix tools (such
as 'sed' and 'grep' say) instead.

If you (or someone else) provided a small patch for using those
instead of perl, I don't see a reason not to be grateful and
apply it to the sources.

Thank you once more
Martin

--
*)  perl is mentioned twice in the "R Administration and
    Installation" manual:

    2. On Windoze, the texinfo 5.x package needs perl

Re: Addition of a meta viewport tag to HTML manuals

Bob Rudis
Thanks for both the support & sage advice, Martin!

And, aye, tis straightforward to convert the perl one-liner to a
shell/sed idiom.

A kind soul from the list has also offered to walk me through the
"provide a patch" process and I'll do my best to get it right on Par 1
:-)

-Bob

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 5:54 AM Martin Maechler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>     > The addition of a single line:
>     > <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
>
>     > at in the <head> of the R HTML generated manuals would make them much easier to read on mobile devices.
>
>     > texi2any (which generates the HTML files) is based on long-working Perl code that includes many modern HTML elements but does not include this one.
>
>     > A Perl one-liner in the install-html: Makefile directive in Makefile.in:
>
>     > install-html: installdirs
>     > @for f in $(OBJECTS_HTML); do \
>     > if test -f $${f} ; then \
>     > $(INSTALL_DATA) $${f} "$(DESTDIR)$(rdocdir)/manual"; \
>     > perl -pi -e 's/\<meta name="desc/<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">\n<meta name="desc/' "$(DESTDIR)$(rdocdir)/manual/*.html"; \
>     > fi \
>     > done
>
>     > would insert this (I still need to read Makefile.win to see where it should go there) and I'd be glad to create a PR unless folks do not think better accessibility on mobile is a good idea.
>
> To the contrary.
> Thank you very much, Bob, for bringing this up, here!
>
>     > $(PERL) does not seem to be defined but Perl itself is a requirement for texi2any so it is definitely something that would work in the current installation process.
>
>     > -Bob
>
> Hmm,.. a very long time ago,  perl was an absolute requirement
> for building R from the sources, but in the mean time, it's not
> been required anymore strictly *).  AFAIK, there are alternative versions
> of versions/alternatives to texi2any  (say on Windoze .. or
> bizarre Linux distros or non-linux unices), and I'm almost sure
> we do not want to require perl explicitly.
>
> We are using R itself in many places for installation things,
> but here, it should be possible to use smaller unix tools (such
> as 'sed' and 'grep' say) instead.
>
> If you (or someone else) provided a small patch for using those
> instead of perl, I don't see a reason not to be grateful and
> apply it to the sources.
>
> Thank you once more
> Martin
>

> --
> *)  perl is mentioned twice in the "R Administration and
>     Installation" manual:
>     1. maybe needed for 'install-info'  *if* there's no
>       'install-info' command on the system [but on my Fedora and
>        probably most "math-y" Linux dist there is a binary]
>
>     2. On Windoze, the texinfo 5.x package needs perl

Re: Addition of a meta viewport tag to HTML manuals

Kurt Hornik-5

> Thanks for both the support & sage advice, Martin!
> And, aye, tis straightforward to convert the perl one-liner to a
> shell/sed idiom.

> A kind soul from the list has also offered to walk me through the
> "provide a patch" process and I'll do my best to get it right on Par 1
> :-)

When building HTML from the Texinfo sources, we already have a sed
script in place: we can easily teach it to also add the HTML5 viewport
meta tag as suggested.

I'll do so after more checking ...

-k

> [...]

>> *)  perl is mentioned twice in the "R Administration and
>> Installation" manual:
>> 1. maybe needed for 'install-info'  *if* there's no
>> 'install-info' command on the system [but on my Fedora and
>> probably most "math-y" Linux dist there is a binary]
>>
>> 2. On Windoze, the texinfo 5.x package needs perl

Re: Addition of a meta viewport tag to HTML manuals

Kurt Hornik-5

>> Thanks for both the support & sage advice, Martin!
>> And, aye, tis straightforward to convert the perl one-liner to a
>> shell/sed idiom.

>> A kind soul from the list has also offered to walk me through the
>> "provide a patch" process and I'll do my best to get it right on Par 1
>> :-)

> When building HTML from the Texinfo sources, we already have a sed
> script in place: we can easily teach it to also add the HTML5 viewport

Done now:

r76856 | hornik | 2019-07-22 08:56:41 +0200 (Mon, 22 Jul 2019) | 2 lines
Add HTML5 viewport meta tags to the HTML manuals.
Suggested by Bob Rudis <[hidden email]>.

Thanks again!

Best
-k