Adobe FLEX interacting with R for rich visualization over the Web

Adobe FLEX interacting with R for rich visualization over the Web

Harsh-7
Hi R users,
I am looking to create a rich internet application using R as the
analytical back-end with a GUI written entirely in Adobe FLEX.
I have come across this paper
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/bioc/vignettes/RWebServices/inst/doc/RelatedWork.pdf
which provides relevant information.

>From what I understand, FLEX can read xml files. The StatDataML
library in R creates xml files which can be read by FLEX. Since I
would need to implement the GUI on a web server and the R server would
be on a different system, I felt using StatDataML to write xml files
would be the best approach.

I have also heard of the RSOAP library which possibly can be another
alternative to the above library.

I am trying to create a way for users to be able to visualize the
results of regressions and other statistical functions in an
interactive manner over the web.

If anyone has worked with the above tools or related scenarios, I
would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Harsh Singhal

Re: Adobe FLEX interacting with R for rich visualization over the Web

Jeffrey Horner
Harsh wrote on 04/23/2009 09:49 AM:

> Hi R users,
> I am looking to create a rich internet application using R as the
> analytical back-end with a GUI written entirely in Adobe FLEX.
> I have come across this paper
> http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/bioc/vignettes/RWebServices/inst/doc/RelatedWork.pdf
> which provides relevant information.
>
>>From what I understand, FLEX can read xml files. The StatDataML
> library in R creates xml files which can be read by FLEX. Since I
> would need to implement the GUI on a web server and the R server would
> be on a different system, I felt using StatDataML to write xml files
> would be the best approach.
>
> I have also heard of the RSOAP library which possibly can be another
> alternative to the above library.
>
> I am trying to create a way for users to be able to visualize the
> results of regressions and other statistical functions in an
> interactive manner over the web.
>
> If anyone has worked with the above tools or related scenarios, I
> would greatly appreciate your feedback.

You will be interested in the following links then:

http://blog.revolution-computing.com/2009/04/find-a-safer-place-in-the-bay-area.html
http://blog.revolution-computing.com/2009/04/comparing-baseball-pitcher-styles-with-lattice-graphics.html

They provide examples of building web dashboards with R, which probably
falls in the category of rich internet applications.

Best,

Jeff

--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner