Aggregating daily rainfall raster data to bimontly data

Aggregating daily rainfall raster data to bimontly data

John Wasige
Dear community,

I have daily rainfall raster data for 30 years (1982_2011). I would like to
aggregate daily to bimonthly raster data. Could somebody kindly help on how
to go about it!

Thanks for your help

--
John

Re: Aggregating daily rainfall raster data to bimontly data

John Kane
Someone might if they had any idea of what the data actually looked like and what you are trying to do. The 'bimonthly' for example, is ambiguous in English; do you mean every two months or twice a month?

Have a look at https://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/Reproducibility and   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example with special attention to dput() as a method of supplying sample data to the help list.

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada

Bert Gunter
See ?tapply

However, as John said, without knowing the structure of your data, it
is impossible to provide a guaranteed recipe. For example, does the
data structure contain date information? -- it would be difficult (but
not impossible depending on data structure) to aggregate by calendar
(bi-monthly, depending on your meaning of "bi") without knowing the
months. Aggregating by every n days would be easy, but that's probably
not what you want.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
(650) 467-7374

is certainly not wisdom."
Clifford Stoll

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 9:13 AM, John Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Someone might if they had any idea of what the data actually looked like and what you are trying to do. The 'bimonthly' for example, is ambiguous in English; do you mean every two months or twice a month?
>
> Have a look at https://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/Reproducibility and   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example with special attention to dput() as a method of supplying sample data to the help list.
>
> John Kane
> Kingston ON Canada

Thanks Bert,

The structure of the data is a raster stack with nraw=867, Ncol=995

Rgds John

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See ?tapply
>
> However, as John said, without knowing the structure of your data, it
> is impossible to provide a guaranteed recipe. For example, does the
> data structure contain date information? -- it would be difficult (but
> not impossible depending on data structure) to aggregate by calendar
> (bi-monthly, depending on your meaning of "bi") without knowing the
> months. Aggregating by every n days would be easy, but that's probably
> not what you want.
>
> Cheers,
> Bert
>
> Bert Gunter
> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
> (650) 467-7374
>
> "Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge
> is certainly not wisdom."
> Clifford Stoll
>

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 9:13 AM, John Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Someone might if they had any idea of what the data actually looked like
> and what you are trying to do. The 'bimonthly' for example, is ambiguous in
> English; do you mean every two months or twice a month?
> >
> > Have a look at https://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/Reproducibility
> and
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example
> with special attention to dput() as a method of supplying sample data to
> the help list.
> >
> > John Kane
> > Kingston ON Canada

Jeff Newmiller
Please stop posting using HTML (as the Posting Guide warns you), and follow John Kane's advice. Your reply below is not helping us understand as well as you seem to think it should.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On April 5, 2015 9:52:18 AM PDT, John Wasige <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thanks Bert,
>
>The structure of the data is a raster stack with nraw=867, Ncol=995
>
>Rgds John
>

>On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> See ?tapply
>>
>> However, as John said, without knowing the structure of your data, it
>> is impossible to provide a guaranteed recipe. For example, does the
>> data structure contain date information? -- it would be difficult
>(but
>> not impossible depending on data structure) to aggregate by calendar
>> (bi-monthly, depending on your meaning of "bi") without knowing the
>> months. Aggregating by every n days would be easy, but that's
>probably
>> not what you want.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bert
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
>> (650) 467-7374
>>
>> "Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge
>> is certainly not wisdom."
>> Clifford Stoll
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 9:13 AM, John Kane <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> > Someone might if they had any idea of what the data actually looked
>like
>> and what you are trying to do. The 'bimonthly' for example, is
>ambiguous in
>> English; do you mean every two months or twice a month?
>> >
>> > Have a look at
>https://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/Reproducibility
>> and
>>
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example
>> with special attention to dput() as a method of supplying sample data
>> the help list.
>> >
>> > John Kane
>> > Kingston ON Canada

Jim Lemon-4
Hi John,
One way is to create an index variable that will divide your data into the
appropriate intervals. There are a number of ways to do this. Say you want
the "two month" version of bimonthly and you have a date variable
("raindate") for each observation like "1982-01-01".

date_order<-paste(rep(month.abb,30),rep(1982:2011,each=12),sep="")
month_index<-factor(format(as.Date(raindate,"%Y-%m-%d"),"%b%Y"),levels=date_order)

You can then subset the raster matrices by "month_index" and average them
for each group

Jim

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:08 AM, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Please stop posting using HTML (as the Posting Guide warns you), and
> follow John Kane's advice. Your reply below is not helping us understand as
> well as you seem to think it should.
> Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go Live...
> DCN:<[hidden email]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live
> Go...
>                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
> Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
>
> On April 5, 2015 9:52:18 AM PDT, John Wasige <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Thanks Bert,
> >
> >The structure of the data is a raster stack with nraw=867, Ncol=995
> >
> >Rgds John
> >

> >On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> See ?tapply
> >>
> >> However, as John said, without knowing the structure of your data, it
> >> is impossible to provide a guaranteed recipe. For example, does the
> >> data structure contain date information? -- it would be difficult
> >(but
> >> not impossible depending on data structure) to aggregate by calendar
> >> (bi-monthly, depending on your meaning of "bi") without knowing the
> >> months. Aggregating by every n days would be easy, but that's
> >probably
> >> not what you want.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Bert
> >>
> >> Bert Gunter
> >> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
> >> (650) 467-7374
> >>
> >> "Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge
> >> is certainly not wisdom."
> >> Clifford Stoll

> >like
> >> and what you are trying to do. The 'bimonthly' for example, is
> >ambiguous in
> >> English; do you mean every two months or twice a month?

> >https://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/Reproducibility
> >> and
> >>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example
> >> with special attention to dput() as a method of supplying sample data
> >> the help list.

Thanks Jim!

Do you have an idea on how I can go about getting bi-monthly (twice a
month) results for the month with 28, 29, 30 and 31 daily observations?

Thanks for your help

John.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Jim Lemon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi John,
> One way is to create an index variable that will divide your data into the
> appropriate intervals. There are a number of ways to do this. Say you want
> the "two month" version of bimonthly and you have a date variable
> ("raindate") for each observation like "1982-01-01".
>
> date_order<-paste(rep(month.abb,30),rep(1982:2011,each=12),sep="")
>
> month_index<-factor(format(as.Date(raindate,"%Y-%m-%d"),"%b%Y"),levels=date_order)
>
> You can then subset the raster matrices by "month_index" and average them
> for each group
>
> Jim
>
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:08 AM, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Please stop posting using HTML (as the Posting Guide warns you), and
>> follow John Kane's advice. Your reply below is not helping us understand as
>> well as you seem to think it should.

>> Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go
>> Live...
>> DCN:<[hidden email]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live
>> Go...
>>                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
>> Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
>> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.
>> rocks...1k

>> On April 5, 2015 9:52:18 AM PDT, John Wasige <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >Thanks Bert,
>> >
>> >The structure of the data is a raster stack with nraw=867, Ncol=995
>> >
>> >Rgds John

>> >(but
>> >probably

>> >like
>> >ambiguous in

>> >https://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/Reproducibility
>> >>

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example

David Winsemius

On Apr 5, 2015, at 2:40 PM, John Wasige wrote:

> Thanks Jim!
>
> Do you have an idea on how I can go about getting bi-monthly (twice a
> month) results for the month with 28, 29, 30 and 31 daily observations?
>
> Thanks for your help

raindate <- seq.Date(as.Date("1982-01-01"), as.Date("1983-01-01"),by=1)

 paste( format( head(raindate,30), "%Y"),
        cut(as.numeric(format( head(raindate,30),"%d")), c(0,16,32) ),
       sep="_")

 [1] "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"
 [5] "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"
 [9] "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"
[13] "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"  "1982_(0,16]"
[17] "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]"
[21] "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]"
[25] "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]"
[29] "1982_(16,32]" "1982_(16,32]"

Another method would be to use `cut` on  as.POSIXlt(raindate)$mday

--
David.

> John.
>
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Jim Lemon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>> One way is to create an index variable that will divide your data into the
>> appropriate intervals. There are a number of ways to do this. Say you want
>> the "two month" version of bimonthly and you have a date variable
>> ("raindate") for each observation like "1982-01-01".
>>
>> date_order<-paste(rep(month.abb,30),rep(1982:2011,each=12),sep="")
>>
>> month_index<-factor(format(as.Date(raindate,"%Y-%m-%d"),"%b%Y"),levels=date_order)
>>
>> You can then subset the raster matrices by "month_index" and average them
>> for each group
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:08 AM, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Please stop posting using HTML (as the Posting Guide warns you), and
>>> follow John Kane's advice. Your reply below is not helping us understand as
>>> well as you seem to think it should.

>>> Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go
>>> Live...
>>> DCN:<[hidden email]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live
>>> Go...
>>>                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
>>> Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
>>> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.
>>> rocks...1k

>>> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example

Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Aggregating daily rainfall raster data to bimontly data

John Wasige
Many thanks everybody for your kind help.

John​