An R interface to Model Building

Brett Magill
Hello all,

To anyone who is interested, I'm trying to learn a bit more about
developing applications in R with user interfaces.  I've been playing
around with gWidgets to develop a model building interface.

I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, or guidance on how to better
structure my R code and organize the programming task.  In addition,
any suggestions for features and improvement to this fledgling project
would be welcomed.

The code and some screenshots are available here...

http://r-rime.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Re: An R interface to Model Building

Spencer Graves-2
       1.  Are you organizing your project into an R package?  If no, I
suggest you do so, because doing so typically improves your software
development productivity by providing a structured way to organize your
documentation and testing -- which also means you tend to get more
trustworthy software as well as making it much easier to share (and to
use it yourself if you lay it aside for a year).

       2.  Have you reviewed the other R projects with a graphical user
interface for R?  Several are listed at "http://sciviews.org/_rgui
<http://sciviews.org/_rgui/>".

       3.  If you would like to collaborate on a project with others,
"r-forge.r-project.org" is a standard place for hosting collaborative
projects relating to R.  I looked for a few of the projects listed at
"http://sciviews.org/_rgui <http://sciviews.org/_rgui/>" and couldn't
find any on R-Forge.  However, I've had modest success asking other
package developers (a) if they would like some free help, and (b) if
they would like to use R-Forge to facilitate the collaboration.  Some
package developers are not interested.  Jim Ramsay replied to my offer
to help by saying, "It's the best offer I've had in a long time."

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer

On 1/2/2012 10:52 PM, Brett Magill wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> To anyone who is interested, I'm trying to learn a bit more about
> developing applications in R with user interfaces.  I've been playing
> around with gWidgets to develop a model building interface.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, or guidance on how to better
> structure my R code and organize the programming task.  In addition,
> any suggestions for features and improvement to this fledgling project
> would be welcomed.
>
> The code and some screenshots are available here...
>
> http://r-rime.blogspot.com/
>
> Thanks!

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126
ph:  408-655-4567
web:www.structuremonitoring.com

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126
ph:  408-655-4567
web:  www.structuremonitoring.com

Re: An R interface to Model Building

jverzaniNWBKZ
Brett Magill <magillb <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> To anyone who is interested, I'm trying to learn a bit more about
> developing applications in R with user interfaces.  I've been playing
> around with gWidgets to develop a model building interface.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, or guidance on how to better
> structure my R code and organize the programming task.  In addition,
> any suggestions for features and improvement to this fledgling project
> would be welcomed.

You should look at http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/R2STATS/index.html
to look and see what Yvonnick has done already on this type of project.

--John

Re: An R interface to Model Building

yvonnick noel
Brett, Spencer,

I replied to Brett on the R-SIG-GUI mailing list, suggesting to use the
proto package. I found it most useful to structure the code when
developing my R2STATS interface.

>         2.  Have you reviewed the other R projects with a graphical user
> interface for R?  Several are listed at "http://sciviews.org/_rgui
> <http://sciviews.org/_rgui/>".

Is this page still maintained? I wrote to Philippe Grosjean months ago
but received no reply.
>         3.  If you would like to collaborate on a project with others,
> "r-forge.r-project.org" is a standard place for hosting collaborative
> projects relating to R.  I looked for a few of the projects listed at
> "http://sciviews.org/_rgui  <http://sciviews.org/_rgui/>" and couldn't
> find any on R-Forge.

The R2STATS and the AtelieR packages are on R-Forge and provide GUIs for
fitting and comparing various models (GLM and GLMM), both in a
frequentist and a Bayesian approach.

Best,

Yvonnick Noel
University of Brittany at Rennes