Apt-get

Scott Raynaud
I have a box set up with Kubuntu as the OS.  I didn't perform
the R install but was told the version of R available via the
apt-get command was 2.13.1.  Is there any way to get 2.14.0
in that same manner?

Re: Apt-get

Jeff Newmiller
Google is really useful for questions like this.

 http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

Scott Raynaud <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have a box set up with Kubuntu as the OS.  I didn't perform
>the R install but was told the version of R available via the
>apt-get command was 2.13.1.  Is there any way to get 2.14.0
>in that same manner?

Re: Apt-get

beltrand
You can install R 2.14 from this ppa

https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/rrutter

In the terminal type:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter

sudo apt-get update

And then choose the packages you want to install.

Re: Apt-get

Scott Raynaud
My IS people insist that the latest version of R avaialble via apt-get is
2.13.1.  Anything later they claim will have to be compiled.  True?
Will I have to compile every time I update R?  Seems like a lot of work.
Surely there's a way around it.

Google is really useful for questions like this.

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
Jeff Newmiller                        The    .....      .....  Go Live...
DCN:<[hidden email]>        Basics: ##.#.      ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:  OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.      #.O#.  with
/Software/Embedded Controllers)              .OO#.      .OO#.  rocks...1k

Scott Raynaud <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have a box set up with Kubuntu as the OS.  I didn't perform
>the R install but was told the version of R available via the
>apt-get command was 2.13.1.  Is there any way to get 2.14.0
>in that same manner?

Re: Apt-get

Sarah Goslee
Try this:
Go to your favorite CRAN mirror.
Click on "R Binaries" then "linux" then "ubuntu" and send the link
with directions to install current ubuntu binaries to your IS people.

Which, you'll note, is exactly what Jeff Newmiller suggested.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Re: Apt-get

Tyler Ritchie
Beltrand was also on the mark, suggesting you add Michael Rutter's ppa to
your repository sources.

In both cases (adding  the CRAN Ubuntu repositories or Michael Rutter's
ppa), an additional package repository is added to your system's packages.
apt then checks that repository along with the other Ubuntu repositories
and exposes the relevant binary R packages that Michael Rutter is curating.

So, your IS people are correct in saying that the latest version of R
available through the Ubuntu packages is 2.13.1, but there are more up to
date R repositories to use. If you don't have the system rights to add any
additional repositories, you'll need your IS folks to add them for you.

-Tyler

Re: Apt-get

beltrand
To add to the above, as far as I know  Cran's Ubuntu repository is only available for LTS ( Ubuntu 10.04 and soon 12.04, whenever they put the repository together) and if you are using non LTS's versions of Ubuntu Michael Rutter's ppa is definitely the way to go, it is very up to date.

Re: Apt-get

Scott Raynaud
Ok.  When I type in sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter
I get a prompt for a password.  I enter my domain password and
get some print about adding the ppa and requeting that I press
enter.  I press enter and this is followed by print stating that
the key B04C661B is being requested from hkp sevrer
keyserverubuntu.com followed by connection refused HTTP fetch
error 7: couldn't connect no valid Open GPG found.

I'm not sure what next but I think I need to configure the keyserver.
Tried this via the command line and it failed.  Maybe creating a
key.txt file will work but when I search http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/
for E084DAB9 that fails as well.  What next?