Best R text editors?

123

Best R text editors?

Jonathan Greenberg
Quick informal poll: what is everyone's favorite text editor for working
with R?  I'd like to hear from people who are using editors that have
some level of direct R interface (e.g. Tinn-R, Komodo+SciViews).  Thanks!

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar

Re: Best R text editors?

Liviu Andronic
On 8/27/09, Jonathan Greenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Quick informal poll: what is everyone's favorite text editor for working
> with R?  I'd like to hear from people who are using editors that have some
> level of direct R interface (e.g. Tinn-R, Komodo+SciViews).  Thanks!

JGR

Re: Best R text editors?

Stefan Grosse-2
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:43:41 -0700 Jonathan Greenberg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

JG> Quick informal poll: what is everyone's favorite text editor for
JG> working with R?  I'd like to hear from people who are using editors
JG> that have some level of direct R interface (e.g. Tinn-R,
JG> Komodo+SciViews).  Thanks!

By my personal preference:

Windows
1. Tinn-R
2. Notepad+ with npptor
3. JGR

Linux
1. Rkward
2. Emacs+ESS

(JGR useless here since it consumes 100% CPU at least with Fedora
Linux)

Cheers
Stefan

Re: Best R text editors?

Liviu Andronic
On 8/28/09, Stefan Grosse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  (JGR useless here since it consumes 100% CPU at least with Fedora
>  Linux)

The quick fix is to access Help > About after the splash screen
disappears at start-up. This works on Debian and Ubuntu.
Liviu

Re: Best R text editors?

Corrado Topi
Eclipse + StatET (the R plugin)  both on Linux and Windows

--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Area 18,Department of Biology
University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Best R text editors?

Ricardo Rodríguez
Hi!

Corrado wrote:
> Eclipse + StatET (the R plugin)  both on Linux and Windows

Please, does it work with Eclipse 3.5 Galileo on a Mac OS X (10.5.8) box?

Thanks!

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team

Re: Best R text editors?

Corrado Topi
I am using 3.4.2 not 3.5, I would not know. But it is worth visiting the
STATET mailing list archive  and subscribe to the mailing list.

--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Area 18,Department of Biology
University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Best R text editors?

Ricardo Rodríguez
Thanks, Corrado.

Corrado wrote:
> I am using 3.4.2 not 3.5, I would not know. But it is worth visiting the
> STATET mailing list archive  and subscribe to the mailing list.

FYI, here the available public testing version for Eclipse 3.5

http://lists.r-forge.r-project.org/pipermail/statet-user/2009-August/000187.html

Greetings,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team

Re: Best R text editors?

Bugzilla from bjorn.maeland@gmail.com
I'm using Emacs+ESS on Linux and OS X. Of course, since I use Emacs
for pretty much everything it was an easy choice. :)

-Bjorn

2009/8/27 Jonathan Greenberg <[hidden email]>:

> Quick informal poll: what is everyone's favorite text editor for working
> with R?  I'd like to hear from people who are using editors that have some
> level of direct R interface (e.g. Tinn-R, Komodo+SciViews).  Thanks!
>
> --j
>
> --
>
> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
> Postdoctoral Scholar
> Center for Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing (CSTARS)
> University of California, Davis
> One Shields Avenue
> The Barn, Room 250N
> Davis, CA 95616
> Cell: 415-794-5043
> AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [hidden email], Gchat: jgrn307

Re: Best R text editors?

Romain Francois
On 08/27/2009 09:43 PM, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:

> Quick informal poll: what is everyone's favorite text editor for working
> with R? I'd like to hear from people who are using editors that have
> some level of direct R interface (e.g. Tinn-R, Komodo+SciViews). Thanks!
>
> --j

This wiki page is set to deal with the question, but not yet used that
much. Maybe people replying to this thread could contribute to the wiki
page as well.

http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=guis:projects

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast

Re: Best R text editors?

John Kane-2
I've only really used Tinn-R but so far I am very happy with it.

> everyone's favorite text editor for working with R?
> I'd like to hear from people who are using editors that have
> some level of direct R interface (e.g. Tinn-R,
> Komodo+SciViews).  Thanks!
>
> --j
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
> Postdoctoral Scholar
> Center for Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing
> (CSTARS)
> University of California, Davis
> One Shields Avenue
> The Barn, Room 250N
> Davis, CA 95616
> Cell: 415-794-5043
> AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [hidden email],
> Gchat: jgrn307

> reproducible code.

Re: Best R text editors?

PIKAL Petr
Tinn-R

Petr

[hidden email] napsal dne 28.08.2009 09:16:38:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:43:41 -0700 Jonathan Greenberg
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> JG> Quick informal poll: what is everyone's favorite text editor for
> JG> working with R?  I'd like to hear from people who are using editors
> JG> that have some level of direct R interface (e.g. Tinn-R,
> JG> Komodo+SciViews).  Thanks!
>
> By my personal preference:
>
> Windows
> 1. Tinn-R
> 2. Notepad+ with npptor
> 3. JGR
>
> Linux
> 1. Rkward
> 2. Emacs+ESS
>
> (JGR useless here since it consumes 100% CPU at least with Fedora
> Linux)
>
> Cheers
> Stefan

Re: Best R text editors?

esmail
Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> Quick informal poll: what is everyone's favorite text editor for working
> with R?

Emacs+ESS

Re: Best R text editors?

Zhiliang Ma-2
Emacs + ESS

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Jonathan
Greenberg<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quick informal poll: what is everyone's favorite text editor for working
> with R?  I'd like to hear from people who are using editors that have some
> level of direct R interface (e.g. Tinn-R, Komodo+SciViews).  Thanks!
>
> --j
>
> --
>
> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
> Postdoctoral Scholar
> Center for Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing (CSTARS)
> University of California, Davis
> One Shields Avenue
> The Barn, Room 250N
> Davis, CA 95616
> Cell: 415-794-5043
> AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [hidden email], Gchat: jgrn307

Re: Best R text editors?

Tal Galili
Great question to put up here :)

My preferences:
1) notepad++ with NPPToR
2) tinn-R (was leading for a long time, but recently I decided to go with
notepad++ )
3) JGR / RCMDR (although RCMDR can be connected with the previous ones - and
I wish it would get more developed)

With the rest I didn't have experience in.

Jedit - I am still waiting for Romain (from
http://romainfrancois.blog.free.fr/) to release his connection of R to Jedit
(What he showed me in useR 2009, was better then anything else I have seen
until then)

Best,
Tal Galili

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Jonathan Greenberg
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Quick informal poll: what is everyone's favorite text editor for working
> with R?  I'd like to hear from people who are using editors that have some
> level of direct R interface (e.g. Tinn-R, Komodo+SciViews).  Thanks!
>
> --j
>
> --
>
> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
> Postdoctoral Scholar
> Center for Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing (CSTARS)
> University of California, Davis
> One Shields Avenue
> The Barn, Room 250N
> Davis, CA 95616
> Cell: 415-794-5043
> AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [hidden email], Gchat: jgrn307

My contact information:
Tal Galili
Phone number: 972-50-3373767
FaceBook: Tal Galili
My Blogs:
http://www.r-statistics.com/
http://www.talgalili.com
http://www.biostatistics.co.il

Re: Best R text editors?

Uli Kleinwechter
Hi Jonathan,

contributing to your poll: Also Emacs+ESS on Linux.

Uli

Re: Best R text editors?

Liviu Andronic
Hello,

On 8/30/09, Uli Kleinwechter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  contributing to your poll: Also Emacs+ESS on Linux.

Could someone give a brief and subjective overview of ESS. I notice
that many people use it, and many describe it as the tool for the
power user. As far as I'm concerned, I've once again looked at Emacs
(after couple of years) and I still don't feel like using it for my
editing purposes.
Thank you
Liviu

Re: Best R text editors?

Grzesiek

I'm using PLD Linux and in my opinion, if you looking for very easy editor - Geany!!! It'll be fantastic ;)

Re: Best R text editors?

jaropis
Uli Kleinwechter wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> contributing to your poll: Also Emacs+ESS on Linux.
same here

Re: Best R text editors?

Liviu Andronic
On 8/30/09, Grzes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I'm using PLD Linux and in my opinion, if you looking for very easy editor -
>  Geany!!! It'll be fantastic ;)

Yeah, Geany is very simple and comfortable. But there is no direct
link to R, and not being able to evaluate code on the fly is a
show-stopper for me.
Liviu

123