Best settings for RStudio video recording?

12

Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Jonathan Greenberg-5
Folks:

I was wondering if you all would suggest some helpful RStudio
configurations that make recording a session via e.g. zoom the most useful
for students doing remote learning.  Thoughts?

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Randall Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Remote Sensing

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Bert Gunter-2
Way off topic. Ask at RStudio. This is **R-Help** -- help on R
programming.  RStudio is a private company.

sticking things into it."

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:05 PM Jonathan Greenberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I was wondering if you all would suggest some helpful RStudio
> configurations that make recording a session via e.g. zoom the most useful
> for students doing remote learning.  Thoughts?
>
> --j
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
> Randall Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Remote Sensing
> Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
> Natural Resources & Environmental Science
> University of Nevada, Reno
> 1664 N Virginia St MS/0186
> Reno, NV 89557
> Phone: 415-763-5476
> https://www.gearslab.org/

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Martin Morgan-4
Excellent question! I think most R courses use RStudio, so it is completely appropriate to ask about how to help people learn R using RStudio.

I don't have a lot experience with virtual teaching, and very limited experience with anything other than short-term workshops.

I think that there is tremendous value, during the 'in person' portion of a course, in doing interactive and even 'ad hoc' analysis, perhaps especially handling the off-the-wall questions that participants might raise (when I have to struggle to figure out what the R answer is, and then convey to the attendees my thinking process), and making all kinds of mistakes, including simple typos (requiring me to explain what the error message means, and how I diagnosed the problem and arrived at a solution that was other than a pull-it-out-of-the-hat miracle).

With this in mind, I try to increase the prominence of the console portion of the RStudio interface. I place it at the top left of the screen (this might be a remnant of in-person presentations, where the heads of people in front often block the view of the lines where code is being enter; this is obviously not relevant in a virtual context). Usually I keep the script portion of the display visible at the bottom left, with only a few lines showing, as a kind of cheat sheet for me, rather than for the students to 'follow along').

I use a large font, which I think helps in both virtual and physical sessions in part because it limits the amount of information on the screen, causing me to slow my presentation enough that the students can absorb what I am saying. Perhaps as a consequence of the limited screen real-estate, students often ask 'to see the last command' so I now include in the right panel the 'History' tab. The division is asymmetric, so the console continues to take up the majority of screen real estate.

The end result of a sequence of operations is often a pretty picture, but since this is only the end result and not the meat of the learning experience I tend to keep the plot window (lower right) relatively small, and try to remember to expand things at the time when the end result is in sight (so to speak;)).

I hope others with more direct experience are not dissuaded by Bert's opinions, and offer up their own experiences or resource recommendations.

Martin Morgan

On 8/13/20, 6:05 PM, "R-help on behalf of Jonathan Greenberg" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Folks:

    I was wondering if you all would suggest some helpful RStudio
    configurations that make recording a session via e.g. zoom the most useful
    for students doing remote learning.  Thoughts?

    --j

    --
    Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
    Randall Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Remote Sensing
    Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
    Natural Resources & Environmental Science
    University of Nevada, Reno
    1664 N Virginia St MS/0186
    Reno, NV 89557
    Phone: 415-763-5476
    https://www.gearslab.org/

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Jeff Newmiller
The jab about a "private company" detracted from your point. It is a public benefit corporation, but either way they produce open source software that is frequently used to introduce people to R, and the company management structure is irrelevant.

While I would have preferred to see a question that was open to any presentation format, forbidding discussion of how to teach R just because the query happens to limit itself to RStudio seems excessively narrow to me.

I have been frustrated by the fact that there is no r-sig-windows, since I find myself uncomfortably discussing OS-specific issues on R-help for which there is no better place to forward them. Using the multi-OS RStudio for teaching R seems rather less off-topic than that.

On August 13, 2020 3:15:31 PM PDT, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Way off topic. Ask at RStudio. This is **R-Help** -- help on R
>programming.  RStudio is a private company.
>
>Bert Gunter
>
>"The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>and
>sticking things into it."
>-- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )
>

>On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:05 PM Jonathan Greenberg <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>>
>> I was wondering if you all would suggest some helpful RStudio
>> configurations that make recording a session via e.g. zoom the most
>useful
>> for students doing remote learning.  Thoughts?
>>
>> --j
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
>> Randall Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Remote Sensing
>> Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
>> Natural Resources & Environmental Science
>> University of Nevada, Reno
>> 1664 N Virginia St MS/0186
>> Reno, NV 89557
>> Phone: 415-763-5476
>> https://www.gearslab.org/

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Bert Gunter-2
Well then:
"Using the multi-OS RStudio for teaching R seems rather less off-topic than
that."

If the query is about teaching r, wouldn't R-Sig-teaching be the right
place to post?

sticking things into it."

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 5:11 PM Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The jab about a "private company" detracted from your point. It is a
> public benefit corporation, but either way they produce open source
> software that is frequently used to introduce people to R, and the company
> management structure is irrelevant.
>
> While I would have preferred to see a question that was open to any
> presentation format, forbidding discussion of how to teach R just because
> the query happens to limit itself to RStudio seems excessively narrow to me.
>
> I have been frustrated by the fact that there is no r-sig-windows, since I
> find myself uncomfortably discussing OS-specific issues on R-help for which
> there is no better place to forward them. Using the multi-OS RStudio for
> teaching R seems rather less off-topic than that.
>
> On August 13, 2020 3:15:31 PM PDT, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >Way off topic. Ask at RStudio. This is **R-Help** -- help on R
> >programming.  RStudio is a private company.
> >
> >Bert Gunter
> >
> >"The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
> >and
> >sticking things into it."
> >-- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )
> >

> >On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:05 PM Jonathan Greenberg <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Folks:
> >>
> >> I was wondering if you all would suggest some helpful RStudio
> >> configurations that make recording a session via e.g. zoom the most
> >useful
> >> for students doing remote learning.  Thoughts?
> >>
> >> --j
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
> >> Randall Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Remote Sensing
> >> Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
> >> Natural Resources & Environmental Science
> >> University of Nevada, Reno
> >> 1664 N Virginia St MS/0186
> >> Reno, NV 89557
> >> Phone: 415-763-5476
> >> https://www.gearslab.org/
> >>
> >>         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Jeff Newmiller
perhaps. I wasn't aware of it. Given the level of traffic there it looks like I am not alone.

On August 13, 2020 5:22:21 PM PDT, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Well then:
>"Using the multi-OS RStudio for teaching R seems rather less off-topic
>than
>that."
>
>If the query is about teaching r, wouldn't R-Sig-teaching be the right
>place to post?
>
>Bert Gunter
>
>"The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>and
>sticking things into it."
>-- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )
>

>On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 5:11 PM Jeff Newmiller
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> The jab about a "private company" detracted from your point. It is a
>> public benefit corporation, but either way they produce open source
>> software that is frequently used to introduce people to R, and the
>company
>> management structure is irrelevant.
>>
>> While I would have preferred to see a question that was open to any
>> presentation format, forbidding discussion of how to teach R just
>because
>> the query happens to limit itself to RStudio seems excessively narrow
>to me.
>>
>> I have been frustrated by the fact that there is no r-sig-windows,
>since I
>> find myself uncomfortably discussing OS-specific issues on R-help for
>which
>> there is no better place to forward them. Using the multi-OS RStudio
>for
>> teaching R seems rather less off-topic than that.
>>
>> On August 13, 2020 3:15:31 PM PDT, Bert Gunter
><[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >Way off topic. Ask at RStudio. This is **R-Help** -- help on R
>> >programming.  RStudio is a private company.
>> >
>> >Bert Gunter
>> >
>> >"The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming
>along
>> >and
>> >sticking things into it."
>> >-- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )
>> >

>> >On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:05 PM Jonathan Greenberg
><[hidden email]>

>most
>> >useful

>Sensing
>Laboratory

>> >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> >and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Peter Dalgaard-2

> On 14 Aug 2020, at 09:50 , Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> perhaps. I wasn't aware of it. Given the level of traffic there it looks like I am not alone.
>
> On August 13, 2020 5:22:21 PM PDT, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well then:
>> "Using the multi-OS RStudio for teaching R seems rather less off-topic
>> than
>> that."
>>
>> If the query is about teaching r, wouldn't R-Sig-teaching be the right
>> place to post?
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>> and
>> sticking things into it."
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 5:11 PM Jeff Newmiller
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The jab about a "private company" detracted from your point. It is a
>>> public benefit corporation, but either way they produce open source
>>> software that is frequently used to introduce people to R, and the
>> company
>>> management structure is irrelevant.
>>>
>>> While I would have preferred to see a question that was open to any
>>> presentation format, forbidding discussion of how to teach R just
>> because
>>> the query happens to limit itself to RStudio seems excessively narrow
>> to me.
>>>
>>> I have been frustrated by the fact that there is no r-sig-windows,
>> since I
>>> find myself uncomfortably discussing OS-specific issues on R-help for
>> which
>>> there is no better place to forward them. Using the multi-OS RStudio
>> for
>>> teaching R seems rather less off-topic than that.
>>>
>>> On August 13, 2020 3:15:31 PM PDT, Bert Gunter
>> <[hidden email]>

>> along

>> <[hidden email]>

>> most

>> Sensing
>> Laboratory

>>> --
>>> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Peter Dalgaard-2
[Sorry about the misfire a second ago...]

As others have said, for deeper questions, try RStudio's own lists or R-sig-teaching.

However, FWIW, I seem to have gotten away with just using a separate virtual desktop with my usual work setup, and then switch to it when necessary. This was for Panopto video recordings, but Zoom et al. should be much the same. Compared to physical lecturing it is actually somewhat easier, because you don't need to worry so much about projector shortcomings, readability from the back row, etc.

-pd

> On 13 Aug 2020, at 20:58 , Jonathan Greenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks:
>
> I was wondering if you all would suggest some helpful RStudio
> configurations that make recording a session via e.g. zoom the most useful
> for students doing remote learning.  Thoughts?
>
> --j
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
> Randall Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Remote Sensing
> Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
> Natural Resources & Environmental Science
> University of Nevada, Reno
> 1664 N Virginia St MS/0186
> Reno, NV 89557
> Phone: 415-763-5476
> https://www.gearslab.org/

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Fox, John

I had occasion last month to teach a two-week, two-hour-per-day lecture
series on R via Zoom for the ICPSR Summer Program -- the website for the
lectures is at
<https://socialsciences.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Courses/R/ICPSR/index.html>.

I used RStudio and mostly displayed my desktop via one monitor in a
two-monitor setup. That allowed me to show the website (or Canvas site)
for the lectures, PDF slides, or the RStudio window, and to have the
other monitor free to control the Zoom session. Most of the time,
perhaps 1.5 hours per session, I displayed the RStudio window.

To set the size of the fonts in RStudio, I tested in a dummy Zoom
session that I viewed on a small laptop prior to the start of the
lecture series.

I hope this helps,
  John

John Fox, Professor Emeritus
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
web: https://socialsciences.mcmaster.ca/jfox/

On 2020-08-14 4:29 a.m., peter dalgaard wrote:

> [Sorry about the misfire a second ago...]
>
> As others have said, for deeper questions, try RStudio's own lists or R-sig-teaching.
>
> However, FWIW, I seem to have gotten away with just using a separate virtual desktop with my usual work setup, and then switch to it when necessary. This was for Panopto video recordings, but Zoom et al. should be much the same. Compared to physical lecturing it is actually somewhat easier, because you don't need to worry so much about projector shortcomings, readability from the back row, etc.
>
> -pd
>
>> On 13 Aug 2020, at 20:58 , Jonathan Greenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Folks:
>>
>> I was wondering if you all would suggest some helpful RStudio
>> configurations that make recording a session via e.g. zoom the most useful
>> for students doing remote learning.  Thoughts?
>>
>> --j
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
>> Randall Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Remote Sensing
>> Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
>> Natural Resources & Environmental Science
>> University of Nevada, Reno
>> 1664 N Virginia St MS/0186
>> Reno, NV 89557
>> Phone: 415-763-5476
>> https://www.gearslab.org/
>>
>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Abby Spurdle
On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM Jeff Newmiller
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  It is a public benefit corporation

Seriously?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  used to introduce people to R

Correction, it introduces people to a modified version of R.

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Jeff Newmiller
a) Read about it yourself. It is a legal definition.

b) Don't "correct" me with misinformation you are clearly inventing. RStudio the software does not "introduce people to a modified version of R." Each user has to opt in to that "modified" experience by explicitly installing each of the the many CRAN packages that various employees of RStudio have created and all of which can (to my knowledge) be used without installing the RStudio IDE at all. Yes, a bunch of them can be grabbed at once by installing the tidyverse package, but that is also a choice made by users and by instructors struggling to deal with students who have a hard time with Excel much less functional programming. But RStudio is an R IDE.

There are a lot of packages sponsored by RStudio that I find redundant and slow, but portraying the RStudio company or the IDE as inherently "not R" just because newbies like the IDE and the packages they sponsor, and who end up confusing R with RStudio even though they have to install both, is small-minded and biased.

On August 15, 2020 9:10:34 PM PDT, Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM Jeff Newmiller
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  It is a public benefit corporation
>
>Seriously?
>
>On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM Jeff Newmiller
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  used to introduce people to R
>
>Correction, it introduces people to a modified version of R.

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

John C Frain
On Sun 16 Aug 2020 at 06:32, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> a) Read about it yourself. It is a legal definition.
>
> b) Don't "correct" me with misinformation you are clearly inventing.
> RStudio the software does not "introduce people to a modified version of
> R." Each user has to opt in to that "modified" experience by explicitly
> installing each of the the many CRAN packages that various employees of
> RStudio have created and all of which can (to my knowledge) be used without
> installing the RStudio IDE at all. Yes, a bunch of them can be grabbed at
> once by installing the tidyverse package, but that is also a choice made by
> users and by instructors struggling to deal with students who have a hard
> time with Excel much less functional programming. But RStudio is an R IDE.
>
> There are a lot of packages sponsored by RStudio that I find redundant and
> slow, but portraying the RStudio company or the IDE as inherently "not R"
> just because newbies like the IDE and the packages they sponsor, and who
> end up confusing R with RStudio even though they have to install both, is
> small-minded and biased

To clarify:  If you use RStudio and do not install any of the RStudio
packages, R in RStudio is the same R as if you were running it from the
command line.  I would think that many users find command completion,
access to help files, project management Etc. useful. Nobody is asking
anyone to install the RStudio packages.  I do sometimes but not always and
have found them useful. Jeff is 100% correct.

>  On August 15, 2020 9:10:34 PM PDT, Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM Jeff Newmiller
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>  It is a public benefit corporation
> >
> >Seriously?
> >
> >On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM Jeff Newmiller
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>  used to introduce people to R
> >
> >Correction, it introduces people to a modified version of R.

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham
Dublin 14
Ireland
www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.html
mailto:[hidden email]
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Abby Spurdle
> a) Read about it yourself. It is a legal definition.

Not quite.
Your statement implies some sort of universalism, which is unrealistic.
Legal definitions vary from one legal system to the next.

I'm not an expert in US company/corporate law.
But as I understand it, the applicable laws vary from state to state.

It's unlikely that you or most readers will interpret the original
statement in a strict legal sense.
But rather, the term is used to imply something.

If the criteria is:
Sacrificing prophets (not just theirs, but their *holding/sibling
companies too*), for some public benefit(s)...

...then I would like to see evidence of this.

> b) Don't "correct" me with misinformation you are clearly inventing. RStudio the software does not "introduce people to a modified version of R."

Read this post:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2020-May/466788.html

My information is accurate, and RStudio does modify R, unless of
course something has changed...

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

R help mailing list-2
May I suggest that this discussion is best left for another time and place.  Some people have very strong opinions about RStudio vis a vis R,  it has been discussed here before, shedding mostly heat and not a lot of light  (nor do I think anyone had their mind changed),  and worse the discussions have tended to move over to twitter,  where twitter mobs have gone after people whose views on this subject  didn't agree with theirs,  to the extent of digging up any transgression that person  ever committed and claiming that discredited anything they said about R and RStudio, rather than dealing with points made.    I have seen people who I have reason to believe are well-meaning,  decent people trying to improve R,  be tarred and feathered on this subject  (and this is on both sides of the discussion),   I can't believe that this helps improve R,  nor does it help anyone use R,  which is the main point of this mail-list.

Thanks,

-Roy

PS - Or we can start a discussion on the best editor to use - that should be good for a few flames!   :-)

> On Aug 16, 2020, at 3:39 PM, Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> a) Read about it yourself. It is a legal definition.
>
> Not quite.
> Your statement implies some sort of universalism, which is unrealistic.
> Legal definitions vary from one legal system to the next.
>
> I'm not an expert in US company/corporate law.
> But as I understand it, the applicable laws vary from state to state.
>
> It's unlikely that you or most readers will interpret the original
> statement in a strict legal sense.
> But rather, the term is used to imply something.
>
> If the criteria is:
> Sacrificing prophets (not just theirs, but their *holding/sibling
> companies too*), for some public benefit(s)...
>
> ...then I would like to see evidence of this.
>
>> b) Don't "correct" me with misinformation you are clearly inventing. RStudio the software does not "introduce people to a modified version of R."
>
> Read this post:
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2020-May/466788.html
>
> My information is accurate, and RStudio does modify R, unless of
> course something has changed...

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
NOAA/NMFS
Environmental Research Division
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
***Note new street address***
110 McAllister Way
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)-420-3666
Fax: (831) 420-3980
e-mail: [hidden email] www: https://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Boris Steipe
I totally agree with Roy, thank you.

I hope that we can get the discussion back on OP's question (which is timely and very important, and actually not specific to the IDE).

The problem is that our possibilities to test user experience are usually limited. AFAIK students could be participating via their mobile phone... I want to be able to type code, have them read along, open help-pages, discuss the help pages, and plot things.

Zoom appears to send out 720p video. That is 1280 x 720 px. If I set my monitor from which I screen-share my R session to 1280px wide, does this mean I will be doing the best I can to reduce anti-aliasing artefacts and improve legibility? Or does it even matter?

Cheers,
Boris

> [...]
>> course something has changed...

> **********************
> "The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or NOAA."
> **********************
> Roy Mendelssohn
> Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
> NOAA/NMFS
> Environmental Research Division
> Southwest Fisheries Science Center
> ***Note new street address***
> 110 McAllister Way
> Santa Cruz, CA 95060
> Phone: (831)-420-3666
> Fax: (831) 420-3980
> e-mail: [hidden email] www: https://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/
>
> "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill."
> "From those who have been given much, much will be expected"
> "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" -MLK Jr.

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Completely agree with Roy M. and do not wish to express any opinion, but
this typo was too precious to ignore:

"If the criteria is:
Sacrificing prophets (not just theirs, but their *holding/sibling
companies too*), for some public benefit(s)..."

Oh gosh, I hope no prophets are sacrificed ... though I can think of some
financial and political pundits who may deserve that fate 😁
Still, let's keep it to chickens or the occasional goat... (with apologies
to any vegans out there).**

Bert Gunter

** and yes feel free to beat me up for this! **

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 3:40 PM Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > a) Read about it yourself. It is a legal definition.
>
> Not quite.
> Your statement implies some sort of universalism, which is unrealistic.
> Legal definitions vary from one legal system to the next.
>
> I'm not an expert in US company/corporate law.
> But as I understand it, the applicable laws vary from state to state.
>
> It's unlikely that you or most readers will interpret the original
> statement in a strict legal sense.
> But rather, the term is used to imply something.
>
> If the criteria is:
> Sacrificing prophets (not just theirs, but their *holding/sibling
> companies too*), for some public benefit(s)...
>
> ...then I would like to see evidence of this.
>
> > b) Don't "correct" me with misinformation you are clearly inventing.
> RStudio the software does not "introduce people to a modified version of R."
>
> Read this post:
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2020-May/466788.html
>
> My information is accurate, and RStudio does modify R, unless of
> course something has changed...

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Jeff Newmiller
In my experience pixel count is only indirectly related to legibility on a small screen, since they may have very high pixel count yet still be poorly readable with "normal" programming font sizes. If you really want to support that then increase font size. Slide presentations have similar design principles.

If you really want the multi-pane experience then I would advocate for not assuming the phones will be usable, but you can try the medium font everywhere approach and hope for the best.

On August 16, 2020 5:02:03 PM PDT, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> **********************
>> "The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
>Government or NOAA."
>> **********************
>> Roy Mendelssohn
>> Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
>> NOAA/NMFS
>> Environmental Research Division
>> Southwest Fisheries Science Center
>> ***Note new street address***
>> 110 McAllister Way
>> Santa Cruz, CA 95060
>> Phone: (831)-420-3666
>> Fax: (831) 420-3980
>> e-mail: [hidden email] www: https://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/
>>
>> "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill."
>> "From those who have been given much, much will be expected"
>> "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"
>-MLK Jr.

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Ivan Calandra-5
I don't want to relight the fire, but I was wondering about that
statement from John C Frain:
"If you use RStudio and do not install any of the RStudio packages".

I guess you mean that some packages are bundled with RStudio. I had
never noticed any optional packages during the installation of
RStudio... Is there a way to identify (and delete, if wished) these
packages?
Or have I misunderstood?

Thank you!
Ivan

--
Dr. Ivan Calandra
TraCEr, laboratory for Traceology and Controlled Experiments

On 16/08/2020 20:20, John C Frain wrote:

> On Sun 16 Aug 2020 at 06:32, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> a) Read about it yourself. It is a legal definition.
>>
>> b) Don't "correct" me with misinformation you are clearly inventing.
>> RStudio the software does not "introduce people to a modified version of
>> R." Each user has to opt in to that "modified" experience by explicitly
>> installing each of the the many CRAN packages that various employees of
>> RStudio have created and all of which can (to my knowledge) be used without
>> installing the RStudio IDE at all. Yes, a bunch of them can be grabbed at
>> once by installing the tidyverse package, but that is also a choice made by
>> users and by instructors struggling to deal with students who have a hard
>> time with Excel much less functional programming. But RStudio is an R IDE.
>>
>> There are a lot of packages sponsored by RStudio that I find redundant and
>> slow, but portraying the RStudio company or the IDE as inherently "not R"
>> just because newbies like the IDE and the packages they sponsor, and who
>> end up confusing R with RStudio even though they have to install both, is
>> small-minded and biased
>
> To clarify:  If you use RStudio and do not install any of the RStudio
> packages, R in RStudio is the same R as if you were running it from the
> command line.  I would think that many users find command completion,
> access to help files, project management Etc. useful. Nobody is asking
> anyone to install the RStudio packages.  I do sometimes but not always and
> have found them useful. Jeff is 100% correct.
>

>>  On August 15, 2020 9:10:34 PM PDT, Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Seriously?

>>> Correction, it introduces people to a modified version of R.

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 17/08/2020 9:20 a.m., Ivan Calandra wrote:
> I don't want to relight the fire, but I was wondering about that
> statement from John C Frain:
> "If you use RStudio and do not install any of the RStudio packages".
>
> I guess you mean that some packages are bundled with RStudio. I had
> never noticed any optional packages during the installation of
> RStudio... Is there a way to identify (and delete, if wished) these
> packages?
> Or have I misunderstood?

When you are running RStudio, your search list will include
"tools:rstudio".  It's not exactly a package, it's an environment
containing functions used by the RStudio front end.  You can delete it
and R will still work fine, but I'd expect some parts of the GUI to stop
working.

Some RStudio actions (e.g. clicking the "knit" button) will prompt you
to install packages if they are not found.  I don't think any of them
are "bundled" with RStudio, but I might be wrong about that.

RStudio definitely installs Pandoc and maybe some other packages.
(These aren't R packages, they are packages in a more general sense.)
Certainly you should be able to delete Pandoc if you have permissions to
install it; that may break RMarkdown if you don't have another copy
somewhere.)

To identify what R packages got installed, just run
"installed.packages()" before and after installing RStudio, and look for
differences.

Duncan Murdoch

> Thank you!
> Ivan
>
> --
> Dr. Ivan Calandra
> TraCEr, laboratory for Traceology and Controlled Experiments
> MONREPOS Archaeological Research Centre and
> Museum for Human Behavioural Evolution
> Schloss Monrepos
> 56567 Neuwied, Germany
> +49 (0) 2631 9772-243
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ivan_Calandra
>
> On 16/08/2020 20:20, John C Frain wrote:
>> On Sun 16 Aug 2020 at 06:32, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> a) Read about it yourself. It is a legal definition.
>>>
>>> b) Don't "correct" me with misinformation you are clearly inventing.
>>> RStudio the software does not "introduce people to a modified version of
>>> R." Each user has to opt in to that "modified" experience by explicitly
>>> installing each of the the many CRAN packages that various employees of
>>> RStudio have created and all of which can (to my knowledge) be used without
>>> installing the RStudio IDE at all. Yes, a bunch of them can be grabbed at
>>> once by installing the tidyverse package, but that is also a choice made by
>>> users and by instructors struggling to deal with students who have a hard
>>> time with Excel much less functional programming. But RStudio is an R IDE.
>>>
>>> There are a lot of packages sponsored by RStudio that I find redundant and
>>> slow, but portraying the RStudio company or the IDE as inherently "not R"
>>> just because newbies like the IDE and the packages they sponsor, and who
>>> end up confusing R with RStudio even though they have to install both, is
>>> small-minded and biased
>>
>> To clarify:  If you use RStudio and do not install any of the RStudio
>> packages, R in RStudio is the same R as if you were running it from the
>> command line.  I would think that many users find command completion,
>> access to help files, project management Etc. useful. Nobody is asking
>> anyone to install the RStudio packages.  I do sometimes but not always and
>> have found them useful. Jeff is 100% correct.

>>> --
>>> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Ivan Calandra-5
Thank you again Duncan for the details.

Best,
Ivan