Build error on Mac OS X

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Build error on Mac OS X

Hervé Pagès
Hi,


The following commands:

 > tar zxvf R-devel_2005-12-14.tar.gz
 > mv R-devel R-2.3
 > cd R-2.3
 > ./configure --with-blas='-framework vecLib' --with-lapack
 > make

give me the following error on my Mac OS X system:

...
g77  -fno-common  -g -O2 -c xxxpr.f -o xxxpr.o
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `-lintl', needed by `libR.dylib'.  Stop.
make[2]: *** [R] Error 2
make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
make: *** [R] Error 1


I don't get that problem with R-devel daily snapshots from before 2005-12-14
and I get it with (almost) all snaphots between 2005-12-14 and today.


 > uname -a
Darwin possum2.fhcrc.org 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
Macintosh powerpc


Regards,


H.

--
------------------------
Hervé Pagès
E-mail: [hidden email]
 Phone: (206) 667-5791
   Fax: (206) 667-1319

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Build error on Mac OS X

Simon Urbanek
Hervé,

On Dec 21, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Herve Pages wrote:

> I don't get that problem with R-devel daily snapshots from before  
> 2005-12-14
> and I get it with (almost) all snaphots between 2005-12-14 and today.

Strange - I have only failure on 2005/12/17 - all others built fine  
(same system: 7.9.0). Did you try the SVN checkout? I can't test the  
current tar-ball on the Panther machine, because it's running the  
nightly builds right now...

(FWIW those configure parameters are both superfluous on OS X as of R  
2.2.0)

Cheers,
Simon

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Build error on Mac OS X

Hervé Pagès
Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Herve Pages wrote:
>
>> I don't get that problem with R-devel daily snapshots from before  
>> 2005-12-14
>> and I get it with (almost) all snaphots between 2005-12-14 and today.
>
>
> Strange - I have only failure on 2005/12/17 - all others built fine  
> (same system: 7.9.0). Did you try the SVN checkout? I can't test the  
> current tar-ball on the Panther machine, because it's running the  
> nightly builds right now...


Hi Simon,

I just tried with the SVN checkout (Revision: 36833) of R-devel
and got the same problem. I also have this problem with today's
R-devel tarball on the 2 Mac OS X machines where I could make
a test. But on these 2 machines, R-devel tarball from 2005-12-13
builds fine.

Machine 1:
 > uname -a
Darwin possum1.fhcrc.org 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
Macintosh powerpc


Machine 2:
 > uname -a
Darwin possum2.fhcrc.org 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
Macintosh powerpc


On both machines:

GNU Make version 3.79
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1671)

 > g77 -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/3.4.2/specs
Configured with: ../gcc/configure --enable-threads=posix
--enable-languages=f77 --disable-shared --enable-static
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.2


Hope this helps,

H.

--
------------------------
Hervé Pagès
E-mail: [hidden email]
 Phone: (206) 667-5791
   Fax: (206) 667-1319

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Build error on Mac OS X

Hervé Pagès
In reply to this post by Simon Urbanek
Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Herve Pages wrote:
>
>> I don't get that problem with R-devel daily snapshots from before  
>> 2005-12-14
>> and I get it with (almost) all snaphots between 2005-12-14 and today.
>
>
> Strange - I have only failure on 2005/12/17 - all others built fine  
> (same system: 7.9.0). Did you try the SVN checkout? I can't test the  
> current tar-ball on the Panther machine, because it's running the  
> nightly builds right now...
>
Simon,

This error occurs in src/main/Makefile.
I'm not really understanding what's going on here but I was wondering why
'-lintl' would be a target. It became a target in R-devel r36724
(2005-12-13).
In fact, a big change occured in src/main/Makefile.in between r36723 and
r36724. One of them is the introduction of the COMMON_DEPENDENCIES
variable:

+COMMON_DEPENDENCIES = $(R_XTRA_LIBS) $(R_ZLIBS)        $(R_BZLIBS)
$(R_PCRE) \
+       $(R_XDR) @LIBINTL@ \
+       @USE_EXPORTFILES_TRUE@ $(top_builddir)/etc/R.exp

If I remove @LIBINTL@ from this definition, it happens that I can build
and run
last R-devel on all platforms I have access to: Windows, 64-bit SuSE
Linux 9.2,
32-bit SuSE Linux 9.2, Solaris 2.9 AND Mac OS X.
Not sure what this @LIBINTL@ dependency is needed for however...

I attached the file containing my svn diff output.

Regards,

H.

--
------------------------
Hervé Pagès
E-mail: [hidden email]
 Phone: (206) 667-5791
   Fax: (206) 667-1319
------------------------


______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Build error on Mac OS X

Prof Brian Ripley
The updating of gettext support is currently in mid-progress (and
specifically what is required for MacOS X).  It looks as if your system
has another version of gettext installed: please configure R not to use
such a version for now (see configure --help for how to do so).

Once the update is complete you may be able to use your installed version
again (although likely it will not be current enough).


On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Herve Pages wrote:

> Simon Urbanek wrote:
>
>> On Dec 21, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Herve Pages wrote:
>>
>>> I don't get that problem with R-devel daily snapshots from before
>>> 2005-12-14
>>> and I get it with (almost) all snaphots between 2005-12-14 and today.
>>
>>
>> Strange - I have only failure on 2005/12/17 - all others built fine  (same
>> system: 7.9.0). Did you try the SVN checkout? I can't test the  current
>> tar-ball on the Panther machine, because it's running the  nightly builds
>> right now...
>>
> Simon,
>
> This error occurs in src/main/Makefile.
> I'm not really understanding what's going on here but I was wondering why
> '-lintl' would be a target. It became a target in R-devel r36724
> (2005-12-13).
> In fact, a big change occured in src/main/Makefile.in between r36723 and
> r36724. One of them is the introduction of the COMMON_DEPENDENCIES
> variable:
>
> +COMMON_DEPENDENCIES = $(R_XTRA_LIBS) $(R_ZLIBS)        $(R_BZLIBS) $(R_PCRE)
> \
> +       $(R_XDR) @LIBINTL@ \
> +       @USE_EXPORTFILES_TRUE@ $(top_builddir)/etc/R.exp
>
> If I remove @LIBINTL@ from this definition, it happens that I can build and
> run
> last R-devel on all platforms I have access to: Windows, 64-bit SuSE Linux
> 9.2,
> 32-bit SuSE Linux 9.2, Solaris 2.9 AND Mac OS X.
> Not sure what this @LIBINTL@ dependency is needed for however...
>
> I attached the file containing my svn diff output.
>
> Regards,
>
> H.
>
> --
> ------------------------
> Hervé Pagès
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> Phone: (206) 667-5791
>  Fax: (206) 667-1319
> ------------------------
>
>
--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595
______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Build error on Mac OS X

Hervé Pagès
Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> The updating of gettext support is currently in mid-progress (and
> specifically what is required for MacOS X).  It looks as if your
> system has another version of gettext installed: please configure R
> not to use such a version for now (see configure --help for how to do
> so).


This worked just fine. Thanks!

--
------------------------
Hervé Pagès
E-mail: [hidden email]
 Phone: (206) 667-5791
   Fax: (206) 667-1319

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel