CRAN checks and ASAN

R devel mailing list
I have a version of R-devel on my development box that has the address sanitizer turned
on.   This was instrumental in finding a pair of subtle memory issues.  (I had read, but
never written, one element past the end of an array, which caused issues on some
architectures.)

1. I now get a end-of-job messsages from R CMD check survival3.2-3.tar.gz about leaks in
main/eval.c.    They don't appear in 00config.out or 00install.out.
  I assume that I can ignore these?

2. When I run my long 'check all packages that depend on survival' job, a lot of package
fail with sanitizer leaks.   Again, not my problem?
If so, I just need to recomple R without the ASAN tags and try again.

Terry T.

Re: CRAN checks and ASAN

Prof Brian Ripley
On 11/06/2020 15:57, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. via R-devel wrote:

> I have a version of R-devel on my development box that has the address sanitizer turned
> on.   This was instrumental in finding a pair of subtle memory issues.  (I had read, but
> never written, one element past the end of an array, which caused issues on some
> architectures.)
>
> 1. I now get a end-of-job messsages from R CMD check survival3.2-3.tar.gz about leaks in
> main/eval.c.    They don't appear in 00config.out or 00install.out.
>    I assume that I can ignore these?
>
> 2. When I run my long 'check all packages that depend on survival' job, a lot of package
> fail with sanitizer leaks.   Again, not my problem?
> If so, I just need to recomple R without the ASAN tags and try again.

The manual suggests you disable the Leak Sanitizer (nowadays by default
enabled by ASAN): valgrind is a better way of detecting memory leaks.
We know R has 'leaks': it does not release memory in use right up to the
end (and some OS things do too).