Can't build R 3.6.1 or 3.5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can't build R 3.6.1 or 3.5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Saren Tasciyan
Hi,

I am trying to build a more recent version (3.6.1 or 3.5.3) of R on
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I have installed build-deps with:

sudo apt-get build-dep r-base

and I ran ./configure

During "make", I get the following error:

platform.o: In function `do_eSoftVersion':
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/platform.c:3129: undefined reference
to `u_getVersion_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/platform.c:3130: undefined reference
to `u_versionToString_58'
util.o: In function `resetICUcollator':
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2025: undefined reference to
`ucol_close_58'
util.o: In function `do_ICUset':
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2103: undefined reference to
`ucol_close_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2136: undefined reference to
`ucol_setStrength_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2111: undefined reference to
`uloc_setDefault_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2115: undefined reference to
`ucol_open_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2112: undefined reference to
`uloc_setDefault_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2138: undefined reference to
`ucol_setAttribute_58'
util.o: In function `do_ICUget':
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2161: undefined reference to
`ucol_getLocaleByType_58'
util.o: In function `Rf_Scollate':
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2219: undefined reference to
`uiter_setUTF8_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2220: undefined reference to
`uiter_setUTF8_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2222: undefined reference to
`ucol_strcollIter_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2200: undefined reference to
`uloc_setDefault_58'
/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2203: undefined reference to
`ucol_open_58'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:145: recipe for target 'R.bin' failed
make[3]: *** [R.bin] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main'
Makefile:137: recipe for target 'R' failed
make[2]: *** [R] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main'
Makefile:28: recipe for target 'R' failed
make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src'
Makefile:60: recipe for target 'R' failed
make: *** [R] Error 1

I found some suggestiong related to libicu* libraries, but I have those
libs insalled.

Any ideas, where this is failing?

Best,

SarenT




______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't build R 3.6.1 or 3.5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Peter Dalgaard-2
Pure guessing, but a frequent way to get the "have libs, still won't build" syndrome on Linux variants is not having installed the corresponding -dev or -devel package.

-pd

> On 21 Nov 2019, at 19:07 , Saren Tasciyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a more recent version (3.6.1 or 3.5.3) of R on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I have installed build-deps with:
>
> sudo apt-get build-dep r-base
>
> and I ran ./configure
>
> During "make", I get the following error:
>
> platform.o: In function `do_eSoftVersion':
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/platform.c:3129: undefined reference to `u_getVersion_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/platform.c:3130: undefined reference to `u_versionToString_58'
> util.o: In function `resetICUcollator':
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2025: undefined reference to `ucol_close_58'
> util.o: In function `do_ICUset':
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2103: undefined reference to `ucol_close_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2136: undefined reference to `ucol_setStrength_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2111: undefined reference to `uloc_setDefault_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2115: undefined reference to `ucol_open_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2112: undefined reference to `uloc_setDefault_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2138: undefined reference to `ucol_setAttribute_58'
> util.o: In function `do_ICUget':
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2161: undefined reference to `ucol_getLocaleByType_58'
> util.o: In function `Rf_Scollate':
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2219: undefined reference to `uiter_setUTF8_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2220: undefined reference to `uiter_setUTF8_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2222: undefined reference to `ucol_strcollIter_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2200: undefined reference to `uloc_setDefault_58'
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/util.c:2203: undefined reference to `ucol_open_58'
> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> Makefile:145: recipe for target 'R.bin' failed
> make[3]: *** [R.bin] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main'
> Makefile:137: recipe for target 'R' failed
> make[2]: *** [R] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main'
> Makefile:28: recipe for target 'R' failed
> make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src'
> Makefile:60: recipe for target 'R' failed
> make: *** [R] Error 1
>
> I found some suggestiong related to libicu* libraries, but I have those libs insalled.
>
> Any ideas, where this is failing?
>
> Best,
>
> SarenT
>
>
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23
Email: [hidden email]  Priv: [hidden email]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't build R 3.6.1 or 3.5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Jeroen Ooms
In reply to this post by Saren Tasciyan
On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 2:58 PM Saren Tasciyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a more recent version (3.6.1 or 3.5.3) of R on
> Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Are you aware you can get up-to-date binaries either from PPA or CRAN:

  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter
  sudo apt-get install r-base-dev

> and I ran ./configure
> During "make", I get the following error:
> platform.o: In function `do_eSoftVersion':
> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/platform.c:3129: undefined reference
> to `u_getVersion_58'

Such linking errors indicate you are not linking against the correct
library that you compiled against. In this case, there seems to be a
version conflict because you compiled against version 58 of ICU, but
Ubuntu Bionic actually has ICU60:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libicu-dev

So the question is how do you end up with ICU58 headers? I am guessing
your either installed a custom libicu in /usr/local/, or you upgraded
from an older version of ubuntu but haven't upgraded libicu-dev.
Either way the solution is to clean up your system and make sure there
is only one version of libicu.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't build R 3.6.1 or 3.5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Saren Tasciyan
Hi,

Yes I am aware of it.

And yes, I have libicu60 installed. Is it the configure script making a
mistake?

Best,

Saren

On 11/22/19 4:12 PM, Jeroen Ooms wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 2:58 PM Saren Tasciyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to build a more recent version (3.6.1 or 3.5.3) of R on
>> Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
> Are you aware you can get up-to-date binaries either from PPA or CRAN:
>
>    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter
>    sudo apt-get install r-base-dev
>
>> and I ran ./configure
>> During "make", I get the following error:
>> platform.o: In function `do_eSoftVersion':
>> /home/user/Desktop/R-3.6.1/src/main/platform.c:3129: undefined reference
>> to `u_getVersion_58'
> Such linking errors indicate you are not linking against the correct
> library that you compiled against. In this case, there seems to be a
> version conflict because you compiled against version 58 of ICU, but
> Ubuntu Bionic actually has ICU60:
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libicu-dev
>
> So the question is how do you end up with ICU58 headers? I am guessing
> your either installed a custom libicu in /usr/local/, or you upgraded
> from an older version of ubuntu but haven't upgraded libicu-dev.
> Either way the solution is to clean up your system and make sure there
> is only one version of libicu.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't build R 3.6.1 or 3.5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 24 November 2019 at 22:24, Saren Tasciyan wrote:
| Yes I am aware of it.

So why not use them?
 
| And yes, I have libicu60 installed. Is it the configure script making a
| mistake?

Err, no. The configure setup is as solid as they come.  But as Peter already
said: "have lib$FOO installed" often means having the _run-time_ library.
Yet to _build_, you also need the -dev package.

You could subscribe to the r-sig-debian list and we can walk you through all
of this there.  It is a pretty friendly low-volume low-noise list. This list
is not the best place for your questions.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | [hidden email]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't build R 3.6.1 or 3.5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Saren Tasciyan

On 11/25/19 5:54 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 24 November 2019 at 22:24, Saren Tasciyan wrote:
> | Yes I am aware of it.
>
> So why not use them?
I did at the end. But one might be maybe paranoid, maybe develop R,
maybe this is what open source means

>  
> | And yes, I have libicu60 installed. Is it the configure script making a
> | mistake?
>
> Err, no. The configure setup is as solid as they come.  But as Peter already
> said: "have lib$FOO installed" often means having the _run-time_ library.
> Yet to _build_, you also need the -dev package.
>
> You could subscribe to the r-sig-debian list and we can walk you through all
> of this there.  It is a pretty friendly low-volume low-noise list. This list
> is not the best place for your questions.
Sure thanks a lot. I will join there. Actually, problem was with ggpubr,
which required a more recent version of R. Then I thought compiling was
the only option and got into this mess. Finally, I found binaries from
CRAN. But I wanted to report the issue to help with development.
>
> Dirk
>


______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel