Can’t find X11 font when trying to produce graph

Can’t find X11 font when trying to produce graph

Petar Milin-2
I am using R 2.1.1 on i486-pc-gnu-linux (Ubuntu Breezy). Recently, I
bought new laptop HP nx8220 and installed Breezy with a few problems
starting X-Windows. Nevertheless, I followed some instruction, managed
to start X, and added R from the Ubuntu's repositories. When I try to
produce any graph (like plot, bwplot etc.), I receive an error
message:
can't find X11 font
Error in X11( ....
unable to start device X11
I wonder if it is related to the problem that Ubuntu complained of, or
it is just something internal to R. In any case, I would really
appreciate help on that matter.

Sincerely,
Petar Milin

Re: Canʼt find X11 font when trying to produce graph

Dominik-3-2
I don't think this is a R internal problem. It seems that some fonts are
missing that were not included in your X11 installation.
However, you could upgrade to R 2.2.1 and hope that the problem
disappears.

Do so by adding:
"deb http://cran.R-project.org/bin/linux/debian stable/"
to your /etc/apt/sources.list (or via synaptic) and reinstall/update R.

On my ubuntu-breezy system (no laptop, amd-k7) I never had any problems
with this configuration.

Hope this helps
Dominik

Am Dienstag, den 24.01.2006, 14:53 +0100 schrieb Petar Milin:

> I am using R 2.1.1 on i486-pc-gnu-linux (Ubuntu Breezy). Recently, I
> bought new laptop HP nx8220 and installed Breezy with a few problems
> starting X-Windows. Nevertheless, I followed some instruction, managed
> to start X, and added R from the Ubuntu's repositories. When I try to
> produce any graph (like plot, bwplot etc.), I receive an error
> message:
> can't find X11 font
> Error in X11( ....
> unable to start device X11
> I wonder if it is related to the problem that Ubuntu complained of, or
> it is just something internal to R. In any case, I would really
> appreciate help on that matter.
>
> Sincerely,
> Petar Milin

Re: Can¢t find X11 font when trying to produce graph

Fernando Mayer
Also check if you have installed in your Ubuntu-Breezy:

xfonts-utils
xfonts-base
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-scalable

If you don't have one of this, try to install it and see if now works.

Hope this helps,
Fernando Mayer.