Can't save files from the Source pane of R Studio

Can't save files from the Source pane of R Studio

Parkhurst, David
I�m just starting to learn and use R Studio in my Mac.  Now I find if I type lines in what I think is called the source pane, and use Save as from the menu, nothing gets saved.  That�s true if I add the extension .R or the extension .txt.  If I try reopen the file in an empty source pane, it�s empty.  And even if I open the file in a text editor, it�s blank.  How can I save my work from R Studio?

Re: Can't save files from the Source pane of R Studio

Rui Barradas
Hello,

R-Help is for questions on R code.
RStudio has its own help forum that you can access from the Help menu,

Help > RStudio Community Forum

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Às 18:07 de 22/03/21, Parkhurst, David escreveu:

> I�m just starting to learn and use R Studio in my Mac.  Now I find if I type lines in what I think is called the source pane, and use Save as from the menu, nothing gets saved.  That�s true if I add the extension .R or the extension .txt.  If I try reopen the file in an empty source pane, it�s empty.  And even if I open the file in a text editor, it�s blank.  How can I save my work from R Studio?

Re: Can't save files from the Source pane of R Studio

John Kane-3
Rui is correct but you should also check that you have write--permission to
the directory you are accessing

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 at 14:28, Parkhurst, David <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m just starting to learn and use R Studio in my Mac.  Now I find if I
> type lines in what I think is called the source pane, and use Save as from
> the menu, nothing gets saved.  That’s true if I add the extension .R or the
> extension .txt.  If I try reopen the file in an empty source pane, it’s
> empty.  And even if I open the file in a text editor, it’s blank.  How can
> I save my work from R Studio?

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada

Re: Can't save files from the Source pane of R Studio

Bert Gunter-2
... and moreover, the R Foundation that maintains and releases updates of R
software(open source licensed, free) is a totally separate, non-profit
entity from the RStudio organization, a for profit-company that has built a
support/data science infrastructure based on R(some of which is free and
some of which they charge for).

(Don't feel bad: this is a regular source of confusion on this forum).

sticking things into it."