Census ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment in R?

Census ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment in R?

Tony.CTR.Choi
Hello,
I am new to usin R - which is a great tool - and would like to know if R
has a seasonal adjustment program for time series and/if it incorporates
the Census Bureau's ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment program in any way?

Thanks so much!

Tony

Re: Census ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment in R?

David Winsemius

On Dec 28, 2011, at 2:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
> I am new to usin R - which is a great tool - and would like to know
> if R
> has a seasonal adjustment program for time series and/if it
> incorporates
> the Census Bureau's ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment program in any way?

I'm wondering why your efforts at searching did not find the x12
package?

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: Census ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment in R?

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 11-12-28 3:53 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2011, at 2:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am new to usin R - which is a great tool - and would like to know
>> if R
>> has a seasonal adjustment program for time series and/if it
>> incorporates
>> the Census Bureau's ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment program in any way?
>
> I'm wondering why your efforts at searching did not find the x12
> package?

I would guess because he's new to R.

The first place to start such a search is in R itself.  Try

??"topic"

and you might find something.  (This doesn't work for me for the topic
"X-12 ARIMA".)

You can also just use Google.  Lots of people think that putting the
letter R into a Google search is hopeless, but in fact several of the
top 10 hits I get with the search "R X-12 ARIMA" look relevant.

Finally, there's the built in RSiteSearch function, and the sos package
that puts a nice front-end on it.

On Dec 28, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11-12-28 3:53 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 28, 2011, at 2:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I am new to usin R - which is a great tool - and would like to know
>>> if R
>>> has a seasonal adjustment program for time series and/if it
>>> incorporates
>>> the Census Bureau's ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment program in any
>>> way?
>>
>> I'm wondering why your efforts at searching did not find the x12
>> package?
>>

> I would guess because he's new to R.

> The first place to start such a search is in R itself.  Try
>
> ??"topic"

Agree that is sensible for general questions, but it will not find
anything very specialized because it only searches installed packages.
So unless the user has already installed packages with key words that
match the search terms, it will fail.

> and you might find something.  (This doesn't work for me for the
> topic "X-12 ARIMA".)
>
> You can also just use Google.  Lots of people think that putting the
> letter R into a Google search is hopeless, but in fact several of
> the top 10 hits I get with the search "R X-12 ARIMA" look relevant.
>
> Finally, there's the built in RSiteSearch

I found the x12 package listing with RSiteSearch("x12") at the R
console. I thought that strategy would have been described in
Introduction to R but when I tried I did not find it there.

> function, and the sos package that puts a nice front-end on it.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: Census ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment in R?

Majid Hasan Khattak
Another place to find r functions and info is
http://www.rseek.org

regards
Majid

Re: Census ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment in R?

Tony.CTR.Choi
Thanks David and everyone for the help.   I do see "x12" under the
RsiteSearch and will test it to see if it works for what I need to do.

Happy new year!

Tony

From:
David Winsemius <[hidden email]>

To:
Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]>
Cc:
Tony CTR Choi/AWA/CNTR/FAA@FAA, [hidden email]
Date:
12/28/2011 05:17 PM
Re: [R] Census ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment in R?

On Dec 28, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11-12-28 3:53 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 28, 2011, at 2:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I am new to usin R - which is a great tool - and would like to know
>>> if R
>>> has a seasonal adjustment program for time series and/if it
>>> incorporates
>>> the Census Bureau's ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment program in any
>>> way?
>>
>> I'm wondering why your efforts at searching did not find the x12
>> package?
>>

> I would guess because he's new to R.

> The first place to start such a search is in R itself.  Try
>
> ??"topic"

Agree that is sensible for general questions, but it will not find
anything very specialized because it only searches installed packages.
So unless the user has already installed packages with key words that
match the search terms, it will fail.

> and you might find something.  (This doesn't work for me for the
> topic "X-12 ARIMA".)
>
> You can also just use Google.  Lots of people think that putting the
> letter R into a Google search is hopeless, but in fact several of
> the top 10 hits I get with the search "R X-12 ARIMA" look relevant.
>
> Finally, there's the built in RSiteSearch

I found the x12 package listing with RSiteSearch("x12") at the R
console. I thought that strategy would have been described in
Introduction to R but when I tried I did not find it there.

> function, and the sos package that puts a nice front-end on it.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT