Comparing Cox model with Competing Risk model

Comparing Cox model with Competing Risk model

tasnuvat
I have a competing risk data where a patient may die from either AIDS or
Cancer. I want to compare the cox model for each of the event of interest
with a competing risk model. In the competing risk model the cumulative
incidence function is used directly. I used the jackknife (pseudovalue) of
the cumulative incidence function for each cause (AIDS or Cancer) in a
generalized estimating equation. I used the following code:

>library(pseudo)
>cutoffs<-c(0.5,5.5,10.5,15.5)
>pseudo<-pseudoci(time,event,tmax=cutoffs)
>library(geepack)
>fit<-geese(pseudo~as.factor(Age)+as.factor(Sex),data=b,id=id, jack = TRUE,
scale.fix=TRUE,
mean.link = "logit", corstr="independence").

I want to know whether I am doing the right thing?

Re: Comparing Cox model with Competing Risk model

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D.
-- begin included message --
I have a competing risk data where a patient may die from either AIDS or
Cancer. I want to compare the cox model for each of the event of interest
with a competing risk model. In the competing risk model the cumulative
incidence function is used directly.

-end inclusion ---
  If you do want to persue the Fine-Gray model I would suggest using software that already
exists.  Find the "Task Views" tab on CRAN, and follow it to "survival" and then look at
the competing risks section.  There is a lot to offer.  I would trust it more than rolling
your own function.

  As an aside, modeling the subdistribution function is ONE way of dealing with competing
risks, but not everyone thinks that it is the best way to proceed.  The model corresponds
to a biology that I find unlikely, though it makes for nice math.  Since the alternative
is discussed in a vignette that I haven't-yet-quite-written we won't persue that any
further, however. :-)

Terry Therneau

Re: Comparing Cox model with Competing Risk model

Heinz Tuechler
Dear Terry,

as soon as the vignette is ready, I would be very happy, to know about
it. Will you send a note to r-help, or will it be announced in some
other way?

best regards,

Heinz

On 08.03.2013 15:12, Terry Therneau wrote:

> -- begin included message --
> I have a competing risk data where a patient may die from either AIDS or
> Cancer. I want to compare the cox model for each of the event of interest
> with a competing risk model. In the competing risk model the cumulative
> incidence function is used directly.
>
> -end inclusion ---
>   If you do want to persue the Fine-Gray model I would suggest using
> software that already exists.  Find the "Task Views" tab on CRAN, and
> follow it to "survival" and then look at the competing risks section.
> There is a lot to offer.  I would trust it more than rolling your own
> function.
>
>   As an aside, modeling the subdistribution function is ONE way of
> dealing with competing risks, but not everyone thinks that it is the
> best way to proceed.  The model corresponds to a biology that I find
> unlikely, though it makes for nice math.  Since the alternative is
> discussed in a vignette that I haven't-yet-quite-written we won't persue
> that any further, however. :-)
>
> Terry Therneau

Re: Comparing Cox model with Competing Risk model

tasnuvat
Thanks.:)