Comparison between R and MATLAB

Shubha Vishwanath Karanth
Hi R,

Can I get a comparison between R and MATLAB? How is R efficient than MATLAB? Or what are the weaknesses of R compared to MATLAB?

Thank you very much for your help,

Shubha

Shubha Karanth | Amba Research

Ph +91 80 3980 8031 | Mob +91 94 4886 4510

Bangalore * Colombo * London * New York * San José * Singapore * www.ambaresearch.com

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged i...{{dropped:13}}

Re: Comparison between R and MATLAB

ssefick
This discussion has already occurred- to my knowledge at least once.   I
would suggest searching the archived list, and see what you get.  If you
still have questions after you have a look then fire a couple of specifics,
but speaking for myself I don't know anything about matlab only S (and even
that is limited).

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Shubha Vishwanath Karanth <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi R,
>

> Can I get a comparison between R and MATLAB? How is R efficient than
> MATLAB? Or what are the weaknesses of R compared to MATLAB?
>

> Thank you very much for your help,
>
> Shubha
>
> Shubha Karanth | Amba Research
>
> Ph +91 80 3980 8031 | Mob +91 94 4886 4510
>
> Bangalore * Colombo * London * New York * San José * Singapore *
> www.ambaresearch.com
>

> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged i...{{dropped:13}}

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so
little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make us
feel like gods. We are mammals, and have not exhausted the annoying little
problems of being mammals.

-K. Mullis

Re: Comparison between R and MATLAB

Spencer Graves
      The short answer on comparing R and Matlab is that it depends on
your benchmark and which church you happen to frequent.  Some people
swear that Matlab is superior, but I haven't seen the evidence for
that.  The benchmarks that come closer to being transparent are more
equivocal, as far as I seen.  Spencer Graves

stephen sefick wrote:

> This discussion has already occurred- to my knowledge at least once.   I
> would suggest searching the archived list, and see what you get.  If you
> still have questions after you have a look then fire a couple of specifics,
> but speaking for myself I don't know anything about matlab only S (and even
> that is limited).
>
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Shubha Vishwanath Karanth <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi R,
>>

>> Can I get a comparison between R and MATLAB? How is R efficient than
>> MATLAB? Or what are the weaknesses of R compared to MATLAB?
>>

>> Thank you very much for your help,
>>
>> Shubha
>>
>> Shubha Karanth | Amba Research
>>
>> Ph +91 80 3980 8031 | Mob +91 94 4886 4510
>>
>> Bangalore * Colombo * London * New York * San José * Singapore *
>> www.ambaresearch.com
>>

>> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged i...{{dropped:13}}

Re: Comparison between R and MATLAB

Earl F. Glynn
"Shubha Vishwanath Karanth" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
Can I get a comparison between R and MATLAB? How is R efficient than MATLAB?
Or what are the weaknesses of R compared to MATLAB?

Don't forget to compare licenses and cost.  Matlab's rigid and unreasonable
license is the main reason I use R now.

Several years ago the Mathworks refused to let a post doc and me share a
MatLab license -- they wanted all single-user licenses to be named users
even if each of us only needed MatLab a few hours a month.  I asked if they
had a "math model" for what we got for a license, but they didn't care that
there was a huge disconnect between what they wanted to sell and our usage
needs.  I quit using MatLab, converted my project from MatLab to R, and now
steer as many people to R as possible.

The Mathworks refuses to acknowledge that life-science users of math tools
are not like physical science users.  Biologists can spend weeks or months
on experiments and then occasionally need high-end math tools  for analysis.

A single shared network MatLab license outside of academia is outrageously
expensive.  A single network concurrent license for Matlab and the Image
processing, Signal Processing and PDE toolboxes costs $18,800 -- I received
that quote just yesterday since we still have a few people that use existing
MatLab code.

MatLab may be a good product, but the Mathworks is unreasonable in how they
license it.  We are a non-profit, basic life scientific research institute
and the Mathworks sells us the same license as for-profit businesses.  Only
degree-granting universities are eligible for academic pricing apparently.

efg
Earl F Glynn
Bioinformatics
Stowers Institute for Medical Research

Re: Comparison between R and MATLAB

Clint Bowman
The easy way around that is to create an account, "Mathworks", with a
common group that all who will use MatLab belong, then su - Mathworks
should satisfy the license manager.

Clint Bowman INTERNET: [hidden email]
Air Dispersion Modeler INTERNET: [hidden email]
Air Quality Program VOICE: (360) 407-6815
Department of Ecology FAX: (360) 407-7534

        USPS:   PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600
        Parcels: 300 Desmond Drive, Lacey, WA 98503-1274

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Earl F. Glynn wrote:

> "Shubha Vishwanath Karanth" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> Can I get a comparison between R and MATLAB? How is R efficient than MATLAB?
> Or what are the weaknesses of R compared to MATLAB?
>

> Don't forget to compare licenses and cost.  Matlab's rigid and unreasonable
> license is the main reason I use R now.
>
> Several years ago the Mathworks refused to let a post doc and me share a
> MatLab license -- they wanted all single-user licenses to be named users
> even if each of us only needed MatLab a few hours a month.  I asked if they
> had a "math model" for what we got for a license, but they didn't care that
> there was a huge disconnect between what they wanted to sell and our usage
> needs.  I quit using MatLab, converted my project from MatLab to R, and now
> steer as many people to R as possible.
>
> The Mathworks refuses to acknowledge that life-science users of math tools
> are not like physical science users.  Biologists can spend weeks or months
> on experiments and then occasionally need high-end math tools  for analysis.
>
> A single shared network MatLab license outside of academia is outrageously
> expensive.  A single network concurrent license for Matlab and the Image
> processing, Signal Processing and PDE toolboxes costs $18,800 -- I received
> that quote just yesterday since we still have a few people that use existing
> MatLab code.
>
> MatLab may be a good product, but the Mathworks is unreasonable in how they
> license it.  We are a non-profit, basic life scientific research institute
> and the Mathworks sells us the same license as for-profit businesses.  Only
> degree-granting universities are eligible for academic pricing apparently.
>
> efg
> Earl F Glynn
> Bioinformatics
> Stowers Institute for Medical Research

Re: Comparison between R and MATLAB

Wacek Kusnierczyk
for many tasks, gnu octave (a 'matlab clone', no offense to gnu folks
intended) is quite sufficient, and *free* (+ open source).  you can run
some of matlab code in octave.

you should also check if sage (http://www.sagemath.org/) can do the job
for you, it's stuffed with all sorts of maths utilities, with friendly
python frontend, etc.
and once you're at python's, check numpy, scipy, and matplotlib, which
do lots of good work too.  all open source, of course.

vQ

Clint Bowman wrote:

> The easy way around that is to create an account, "Mathworks", with a
> common group that all who will use MatLab belong, then su - Mathworks
> should satisfy the license manager.
>
> Clint Bowman INTERNET: [hidden email]
> Air Dispersion Modeler INTERNET: [hidden email]
> Air Quality Program VOICE: (360) 407-6815
> Department of Ecology FAX: (360) 407-7534
>
> USPS:   PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600
> Parcels: 300 Desmond Drive, Lacey, WA 98503-1274
>
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Earl F. Glynn wrote:
>

>> "Shubha Vishwanath Karanth" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> news:[hidden email]...
>> Can I get a comparison between R and MATLAB? How is R efficient than MATLAB?
>> Or what are the weaknesses of R compared to MATLAB?
>>

>> Don't forget to compare licenses and cost.  Matlab's rigid and unreasonable
>> license is the main reason I use R now.
>>
>> Several years ago the Mathworks refused to let a post doc and me share a
>> MatLab license -- they wanted all single-user licenses to be named users
>> even if each of us only needed MatLab a few hours a month.  I asked if they
>> had a "math model" for what we got for a license, but they didn't care that
>> there was a huge disconnect between what they wanted to sell and our usage
>> needs.  I quit using MatLab, converted my project from MatLab to R, and now
>> steer as many people to R as possible.
>>
>> The Mathworks refuses to acknowledge that life-science users of math tools
>> are not like physical science users.  Biologists can spend weeks or months
>> on experiments and then occasionally need high-end math tools  for analysis.
>>
>> A single shared network MatLab license outside of academia is outrageously
>> expensive.  A single network concurrent license for Matlab and the Image
>> processing, Signal Processing and PDE toolboxes costs $18,800 -- I received
>> that quote just yesterday since we still have a few people that use existing
>> MatLab code.
>>
>> MatLab may be a good product, but the Mathworks is unreasonable in how they
>> license it.  We are a non-profit, basic life scientific research institute
>> and the Mathworks sells us the same license as for-profit businesses.  Only
>> degree-granting universities are eligible for academic pricing apparently.
>>
>> efg
>> Earl F Glynn
>> Bioinformatics
>> Stowers Institute for Medical Research

Wacek Kusnierczyk, MD PhD

Email: [hidden email]
Phone: +47 73591875, +47 72574609

Department of Computer and Information Science (IDI)
Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering (IME)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Sem Saelands vei 7, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Room itv303

Bioinformatics & Gene Regulation Group
Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine (IKM)
Faculty of Medicine (DMF)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Laboratory Center, Erling Skjalgsons gt. 1, 7030 Trondheim, Norway
Room 231.05.060

Re: Comparison between R and MATLAB

kthomps7
hi,

  my 0.2$ the rpy python module is excellent, in addition to those Wacek mentioned.

  another free alternative, particularly for graphics  is scilab:
http://www.scilab.org/

thanks,
kevin

Kevin J. Thompson wrote:
> hi,
>
>   my 0.2$ the rpy python module is excellent, in addition to those Wacek mentioned.
>
>   another free alternative, particularly for graphics  is scilab:
> http://www.scilab.org/

for scilab there is the rscilab module, so that we are with r again.

vQ