Controling R from MS Access

Felipe Carrillo
HI:
I've seen a few threads about this topic but
still can't find a straightforward way on this.

Is there a package that can control R within an access form. For example,
I want to send a query to R, perform some statistics in R and send the output or
summary back to Access and display it on a form. I can do this using Excel as
the

'middleman' but was wondering if it can be done straight from access. I can open
R and

send data to Access but I prefer to do it the other way around so that I can
automate the

process with VBA. It is real easy to control R from Excel with RExcel but can't
find any
examples where Access is used. Thanks for any advice.

Felipe D. Carrillo
Supervisory Fishery Biologist
Department of the Interior
US Fish & Wildlife Service
California, USA

Re: Controling R from MS Access

Thierry Onkelinx
Dear Felipe,

In the past I have done something similar. I had Access to run an R script in batch mode. The script reads data from Access, processes the data and puts data back in Access tables.

The user hit a button in Access and see a blank console window popping up. When the console window disappear, the script has completed.

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
[hidden email]
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey

Druk dit bericht a.u.b. niet onnodig af.
Please do not print this message unnecessarily.

Dit bericht en eventuele bijlagen geven enkel de visie van de schrijver weer
en binden het INBO onder geen enkel beding, zolang dit bericht niet bevestigd is
door een geldig ondertekend document. The views expressed in  this message
and any annex are purely those of the writer and may not be regarded as stating
an official position of INBO, as long as the message is not confirmed by a duly
signed document.

Re: Controling R from MS Access

lowman
Hello

did you happen to figure this out? I am just learning about using R, i have a whack of fish data in MSAccess...and i want to take whatever functions access is limited by with stats, and then call R to do them

i know the package RODBC works great to read data from your mdb, but i want to have a command button, once clicked, activate R, and run a script, then send the analysis back to a table in the mdb,

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

doug

Re: Controling R from MS Access

lowman
answered my own question, just use the call shell function in vb

woohoo