Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Jibrin Alhassan
Dear R users,
I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed for my
work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
software? I have used this code
as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile, I have up
to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
Kindly help, please.
Jibrin Alhassan

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Rui Barradas
Hello,

No dataset was attached. Like the posting guide says,

No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and archive
formats (others are automatically stripped off because they can contain
malicious software). Files in other formats and larger ones should
rather be put on the web and have only their URLs posted. This way a
reader has the option to download them or not.

Can you post sample data? Please post the output of `dput(df)`. Or, if
it is too big the output of `dput(head(df, 20))`. (`df` is the name of
your dataset.)

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Às 11:30 de 15/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:

> Dear R users,
> I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed for my
> work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
> software? I have used this code
> as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
> but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile, I have up
> to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
> Kindly help, please.
> Jibrin Alhassan

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Bert Gunter-2
There are many good tutorials for R. As a "newbie", you need to avail
yourself of them. Although this forum is meant to "help", it is not
designed to provide tutorials. Understanding basic R functionality is
largely assumed here.

Searching on "tutorials on date-time data in R" brought up many
possibilities. Choose one or more that best suits your needs.

As for your specific query, you seem not to understand R's "vectorization"
behavior: your statement, "it can only convert one day of the year at a
time", is false. Again, search for a tutorial on "vectorization in R." But
note that the "Intro to R" tutorial that ships with R already has this.

sticking things into it."

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:55 AM Jibrin Alhassan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear R users,
> I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed for my
> work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
> software? I have used this code
> as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
> but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile, I have up
> to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
> Kindly help, please.
> Jibrin Alhassan

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Bill Dunlap-2
Use one of the POSIXt classes, POSIXct or POSIXlt, instead of the Date
class.
They have more methods for doing arithmetic.  E.g.,

> dates <- as.POSIXct(tz="UTC", c("2004-03-01", "2005-03-01"))
> difftime(dates, trunc(dates, units="year"), units="days") # add 1 if you
want YYYY-01-01 to be day 1 instead of day 0
Time differences in days
[1] 60 59

There are packages like 'zoo' that make many time/date operations simpler,
but the above
works with core R.

-Bill

wrote:

> Dear R users,
> I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed for my
> work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
> software? I have used this code
> as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
> but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile, I have up
> to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
> Kindly help, please.
> Jibrin Alhassan

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen
On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 18:55, Jibrin Alhassan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear R users,
> I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed for my
> work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
> software? I have used this code
> as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")

Look at the package lubridate.
Here is an example for you:

library(lubridate)

v <- seq(ymd("2020-01-01"),ymd("2022-01-01"),1)
df <- data.frame(date = v, day = day(v), month = month(v),year = year(v))
str(df)
head(df,3)
tail(df,3)

'data.frame': 732 obs. of  4 variables:
 $ date : Date, format: "2020-01-01" "2020-01-02" ...
 $ day  : int  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
 $ month: num  1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ...
 $ year : num  2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 ...
        date day month year
1 2020-01-01   1     1 2020
2 2020-01-02   2     1 2020
3 2020-01-03   3     1 2020
          date day month year
730 2021-12-30  30    12 2021
731 2021-12-31  31    12 2021
732 2022-01-01   1     1 2022

Regards
Martin

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Jibrin,
solar_wind_sps<-data.frame(sws=306,date="2021-016")
solar_wind_spd
solar_wind_spd$date<-as.Date(solar_wind_spd$date,"%Y-%j")
solar_wind_spd

This changes the "date" field to an actual date object. If you just
want to change a character string date to another format:

solar_wind_spd$date<-format(as.Date(solar_wind_spd$date,%Y-%j),"%Y-%m-%d")

Jim

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 4:55 AM Jibrin Alhassan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R users,
> I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed for my
> work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
> software? I have used this code
> as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
> but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile, I have up
> to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
> Kindly help, please.
> Jibrin Alhassan

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Jibrin Alhassan
Hi Barradas
 Sorry for the delay. Below is a section of my data. I have up to 1826
covering 1998 to 2002
year   day Hr SWS
1998   1  0  344.
1998   2  0  346.
1998   3  0  356.
1998   4  0  332.
1998   5  0  302.
1998   6  0  329.
1998   7  0  395.
1998   8  0  359.
1998   9  0  471.
1998  10  0  392.
1998  11  0  346.
1998  12  0  387.
1998  13  0  393.
1998  14  0  367.
1998  15  0  320.
1998  16  0  309.
1998  17  0  341.
1998  18  0  329.
1998  19  0  322.
1998  20  0  429.
1998  21  0  433.
1998  22  0  398.
1998  23  0  393.
1998  24  0  393.
1998  25  0  423.
1998  26  0  426.
1998  27  0  429.
1998  28  0  386.
1998  29  0  381.
1998  30  0  375.
1998  31  0  365.
1998  32  0  450.
1998  33  0  381.
1998  34  0  316.
1998  35  0  351.
1998  36  0  306.
1998  37  0  312.
1998  38  0  320.
1998  39  0  339.
1998  40  0  395.
1998  41  0  429.
1998  42  0  479.
1998  43  0  495.
1998  44  0  407.
1998  45  0  358.
1998  46  0  360.
1998  47  0  382.
1998  48  0  394.
1998  49  0  393.
1998  50  0  435.
1998  51  0  408.
1998  52  0  360.
1998  53  0  372.
1998  54  0  376.
1998  55  0  379.
1998  56  0  361.
1998  57  0  333.
1998  58  0  321.
1998  59  0  344.
1998  60  0  412.
1998  61  0  428.
1998  62  0  401.
1998  63  0  369.
1998  64  0  343.
1998  65  0  330.
1998  66  0  317.
1998  67  0  296.
1998  68  0  282.
1998  69  0  404.
1998  70  0  530.
1998  71  0  525.
1998  72  0  484.
1998  73  0  430.
1998  74  0  388.
1998  75  0  347.
1998  76  0  337.
1998  77  0  342.
1998  78  0  305.
1998  79  0  329.
1998  80  0  420.
1998  81  0  564.
1998  82  0  483.
1998  83  0  385.
1998  84  0  393.
1998  85  0  437.
1998  86  0  441.
1998  87  0  434.
1998  88  0  471.
1998  89  0  429.
1998  90  0  412.
1998  91  0  370.
1998  92  0  326.
1998  93  0  357.
1998  94  0  338.
1998  95  0  380.
1998  96  0  339.
1998  97  0  312.
1998  98  0  313.
1998  99  0  327.
1998 100  0  362.
1998 101  0  358.
1998 102  0  387.
1998 103  0  397.
1998 104  0  375.
1998 105  0  350.
1998 106  0  357.
1998 107  0  472.
1998 108  0  526.
1998 109  0  396.
1998 110  0  374.
1998 111  0  376.
1998 112  0  355.
1998 113  0  343.
1998 114  0  425.
1998 115  0  426.
1998 116  0  479.
1998 117  0  469.
1998 118  0  425.
1998 119  0  344.
1998 120  0  341.
1998 121  0  426.
1998 122  0  601.
1998 123  0  476.
1998 124  0  670.
1998 125  0  585.
1998 126  0  496.
1998 127  0  479.
1998 128  0  569.
1998 129  0  531.
1998 130  0  489.
1998 131  0  484.
1998 132  0  480.
1998 133  0  393.
1998 134  0  332.
1998 135  0  327.
1998 136  0  493.
1998 137  0  493.
1998 138  0  430.
1998 139  0  396.
1998 140  0  408.
1998 141  0  416.
1998 142  0  376.
1998 143  0  375.
1998 144  0  415.
1998 145  0  407.
1998 146  0  398.
1998 147  0  352.
1998 148  0  349.
1998 149  0  517.
1998 150  0  597.
1998 151  0  480.
1998 152  0  435.
1998 153  0  408.
1998 154  0  441.
1998 155  0  397.
1998 156  0  374.
1998 157  0  413.
1998 158  0  582.
1998 159  0  513.
1998 160  0  459.
1998 161  0  466.
1998 162  0  414.
1998 163  0  354.
1998 164  0  341.
1998 165  0  343.
1998 166  0  369.
1998 167  0  411.
1998 168  0  355.
Thanks
Jibrin

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Rui Barradas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> No dataset was attached. Like the posting guide says,
>
> No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and archive
> formats (others are automatically stripped off because they can contain
> malicious software). Files in other formats and larger ones should
> rather be put on the web and have only their URLs posted. This way a
> reader has the option to download them or not.
>

> Can you post sample data? Please post the output of `dput(df)`. Or, if
> it is too big the output of `dput(head(df, 20))`. (`df` is the name of
> your dataset.)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Rui Barradas
>
> Às 11:30 de 15/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:
> > Dear R users,
> > I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed for my
> > work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
> > software? I have used this code
> > as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
> > but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile, I have
> up
> > to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
> > Kindly help, please.
> > Jibrin Alhassan

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Rui Barradas
Hello,

Thanks for the data, it makes things easier.

df1 <- read.table("Jibrin_data.txt", header = TRUE)
#'data.frame': 168 obs. of  4 variables:
# $ year: int  1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 ...
# $ day : int  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
# $ Hr  : int  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...
# $ SWS : num  344 346 356 332 302 329 395 359 471 392 ...

Here is a simple way of converting the year and day of year columns to a
column of class "Date".
Like others have said, there are also CRAN packages to handle date/time
data, my favorite being package lubridate, but base R can do it.

df1$date <- as.Date(paste(df1$year, df1$day),
                     format = "%Y %j",
                     origin = "1998-01-01")

head(df1)
#  year day Hr SWS       date
#1 1998   1  0 344 1998-01-01
#2 1998   2  0 346 1998-01-02
#3 1998   3  0 356 1998-01-03
#4 1998   4  0 332 1998-01-04
#5 1998   5  0 302 1998-01-05
#6 1998   6  0 329 1998-01-06

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Às 06:48 de 16/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:

> [...]
> 1998 139  0  396.
> 1998 140  0  408.
> 1998 141  0  416.
> 1998 142  0  376.
> 1998 143  0  375.
> 1998 144  0  415.
> 1998 145  0  407.
> 1998 146  0  398.
> 1998 147  0  352.
> 1998 148  0  349.
> 1998 149  0  517.
> 1998 150  0  597.
> 1998 151  0  480.
> 1998 152  0  435.
> 1998 153  0  408.
> 1998 154  0  441.
> 1998 155  0  397.
> 1998 156  0  374.
> 1998 157  0  413.
> 1998 158  0  582.
> 1998 159  0  513.
> 1998 160  0  459.
> 1998 161  0  466.
> 1998 162  0  414.
> 1998 163  0  354.
> 1998 164  0  341.
> 1998 165  0  343.
> 1998 166  0  369.
> 1998 167  0  411.
> 1998 168  0  355.
> Thanks
> Jibrin
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Rui Barradas <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     No dataset was attached. Like the posting guide says,
>
>     No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and archive
>     formats (others are automatically stripped off because they can contain
>     malicious software). Files in other formats and larger ones should
>     rather be put on the web and have only their URLs posted. This way a
>     reader has the option to download them or not.
>

>     Can you post sample data? Please post the output of `dput(df)`. Or, if
>     it is too big the output of `dput(head(df, 20))`. (`df` is the name of
>     your dataset.)
>
>     Hope this helps,
>
>     Rui Barradas
>
>     Às 11:30 de 15/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:
>      > Dear R users,
>      > I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed
>     for my
>      > work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
>      > software? I have used this code
>      > as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
>      > but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile,
>     I have up
>      > to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
>      > Kindly help, please.
>      > Jibrin Alhassan
>      > ______________________________________________
>      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
>     -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>      > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>      > PLEASE do read the posting guide
>     http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>      > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>      >

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Peter Dalgaard-2
Something like this?

> as.Date(ISOdate(1998,1,1))+(1:100)-1
  [1] "1998-01-01" "1998-01-02" "1998-01-03" "1998-01-04" "1998-01-05"
  [6] "1998-01-06" "1998-01-07" "1998-01-08" "1998-01-09" "1998-01-10"
 [11] "1998-01-11" "1998-01-12" "1998-01-13" "1998-01-14" "1998-01-15"
 [16] "1998-01-16" "1998-01-17" "1998-01-18" "1998-01-19" "1998-01-20"
 [21] "1998-01-21" "1998-01-22" "1998-01-23" "1998-01-24" "1998-01-25"
 [26] "1998-01-26" "1998-01-27" "1998-01-28" "1998-01-29" "1998-01-30"
 [31] "1998-01-31" "1998-02-01" "1998-02-02" "1998-02-03" "1998-02-04"
 [36] "1998-02-05" "1998-02-06" "1998-02-07" "1998-02-08" "1998-02-09"
 [41] "1998-02-10" "1998-02-11" "1998-02-12" "1998-02-13" "1998-02-14"
 [46] "1998-02-15" "1998-02-16" "1998-02-17" "1998-02-18" "1998-02-19"
 [51] "1998-02-20" "1998-02-21" "1998-02-22" "1998-02-23" "1998-02-24"
 [56] "1998-02-25" "1998-02-26" "1998-02-27" "1998-02-28" "1998-03-01"
 [61] "1998-03-02" "1998-03-03" "1998-03-04" "1998-03-05" "1998-03-06"
 [66] "1998-03-07" "1998-03-08" "1998-03-09" "1998-03-10" "1998-03-11"
 [71] "1998-03-12" "1998-03-13" "1998-03-14" "1998-03-15" "1998-03-16"
 [76] "1998-03-17" "1998-03-18" "1998-03-19" "1998-03-20" "1998-03-21"
 [81] "1998-03-22" "1998-03-23" "1998-03-24" "1998-03-25" "1998-03-26"
 [86] "1998-03-27" "1998-03-28" "1998-03-29" "1998-03-30" "1998-03-31"
 [91] "1998-04-01" "1998-04-02" "1998-04-03" "1998-04-04" "1998-04-05"
 [96] "1998-04-06" "1998-04-07" "1998-04-08" "1998-04-09" "1998-04-10"

Or, if you want month numbers and day of month as numerics:

> as.POSIXlt(as.Date(ISOdate(1998,1,1))+(1:100)-1)$mon
  [1] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1
 [38] 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
 [75] 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
> as.POSIXlt(as.Date(ISOdate(1998,1,1))+(1:100)-1)$mday
  [1]  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
 [26] 26 27 28 29 30 31  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
 [51] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
 [76] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10

-pd

> [...]
> 1998 124  0  670.
> 1998 125  0  585.
> 1998 126  0  496.
> 1998 127  0  479.
> 1998 128  0  569.
> 1998 129  0  531.
> 1998 130  0  489.
> 1998 131  0  484.
> 1998 132  0  480.
> 1998 133  0  393.
> 1998 134  0  332.
> 1998 135  0  327.
> 1998 136  0  493.
> 1998 137  0  493.
> 1998 138  0  430.
> 1998 139  0  396.
> 1998 140  0  408.
> 1998 141  0  416.
> 1998 142  0  376.
> 1998 143  0  375.
> 1998 144  0  415.
> 1998 145  0  407.
> 1998 146  0  398.
> 1998 147  0  352.
> 1998 148  0  349.
> 1998 149  0  517.
> 1998 150  0  597.
> 1998 151  0  480.
> 1998 152  0  435.
> 1998 153  0  408.
> 1998 154  0  441.
> 1998 155  0  397.
> 1998 156  0  374.
> 1998 157  0  413.
> 1998 158  0  582.
> 1998 159  0  513.
> 1998 160  0  459.
> 1998 161  0  466.
> 1998 162  0  414.
> 1998 163  0  354.
> 1998 164  0  341.
> 1998 165  0  343.
> 1998 166  0  369.
> 1998 167  0  411.
> 1998 168  0  355.
> Thanks
> Jibrin
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Rui Barradas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> No dataset was attached. Like the posting guide says,
>>
>> No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and archive
>> formats (others are automatically stripped off because they can contain
>> malicious software). Files in other formats and larger ones should
>> rather be put on the web and have only their URLs posted. This way a
>> reader has the option to download them or not.
>>

>> Can you post sample data? Please post the output of `dput(df)`. Or, if
>> it is too big the output of `dput(head(df, 20))`. (`df` is the name of
>> your dataset.)
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Rui Barradas
>>
>> Às 11:30 de 15/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:
>>> Dear R users,
>>> I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed for my
>>> work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
>>> software? I have used this code
>>> as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
>>> but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile, I have
>> up
>>> to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Jibrin Alhassan
Hi Barradas,
Thanks for your assistance. It has brought me closer to what I am looking
for. I tried your code as shown below:
> df1 <- read.table("SWSdata_1998_2002", header = TRUE)
> df1$date <- as.Date(paste(df1$year, df1$day),format = "%Y %j",origin =
"1998-01-01")
> head(df1)
  year day Hr SWS       date
1 1998   1  0 344 1998-01-01
2 1998   2  0 346 1998-01-02
3 1998   3  0 356 1998-01-03
4 1998   4  0 332 1998-01-04
5 1998   5  0 302 1998-01-05
6 1998   6  0 329 1998-01-06
What I need is the last two columns only (SWS, date). The first 3 columns
(year, day Hr should go). Your code produced only 6 datasets. My dataset is
1,826 from 1998 to 2002. How do I generate this at once?
Many many thanks for your time. I have pasted below a section of my dataset
for your guidance, please.
Jibrin
year   day Hr SWS
1998   1  0  344.
1998   2  0  346.
1998   3  0  356.
1998   4  0  332.
1998   5  0  302.
1998   6  0  329.
1998   7  0  395.
1998   8  0  359.
1998   9  0  471.
1998  10  0  392.
1998  11  0  346.
1998  12  0  387.
1998  13  0  393.
1998  14  0  367.
1998  15  0  320.
1998  16  0  309.
1998  17  0  341.
1998  18  0  329.
1998  19  0  322.
1998  20  0  429.
1998  21  0  433.
1998  22  0  398.
1998  23  0  393.
1998  24  0  393.
1998  25  0  423.
1998  26  0  426.
1998  27  0  429.
1998  28  0  386.
1998  29  0  381.
1998  30  0  375.
1998  31  0  365.
1998  32  0  450.
1998  33  0  381.
1998  34  0  316.
1998  35  0  351.
1998  36  0  306.
1998  37  0  312.
1998  38  0  320.
1998  39  0  339.
1998  40  0  395.
1998  41  0  429.
1998  42  0  479.
1998  43  0  495.
1998  44  0  407.
1998  45  0  358.
1998  46  0  360.
1998  47  0  382.
1998  48  0  394.
1998  49  0  393.
1998  50  0  435.
1998  51  0  408.
1998  52  0  360.
1998  53  0  372.
1998  54  0  376.
1998  55  0  379.
1998  56  0  361.
1998  57  0  333.
1998  58  0  321.
1998  59  0  344.
1998  60  0  412.
1998  61  0  428.
1998  62  0  401.
1998  63  0  369.
1998  64  0  343.
1998  65  0  330.
1998  66  0  317.
1998  67  0  296.
1998  68  0  282.
1998  69  0  404.
1998  70  0  530.
1998  71  0  525.
1998  72  0  484.
1998  73  0  430.
1998  74  0  388.
1998  75  0  347.
1998  76  0  337.
1998  77  0  342.
1998  78  0  305.
1998  79  0  329.
1998  80  0  420.
1998  81  0  564.
1998  82  0  483.
1998  83  0  385.
1998  84  0  393.
1998  85  0  437.
1998  86  0  441.
1998  87  0  434.
1998  88  0  471.
1998  89  0  429.
1998  90  0  412.
1998  91  0  370.
1998  92  0  326.
1998  93  0  357.
1998  94  0  338.
1998  95  0  380.
1998  96  0  339.
1998  97  0  312.
1998  98  0  313.
1998  99  0  327.
1998 100  0  362.
1998 101  0  358.
1998 102  0  387.
1998 103  0  397.
1998 104  0  375.
1998 105  0  350.
1998 106  0  357.
1998 107  0  472.
1998 108  0  526.
1998 109  0  396.
1998 110  0  374.
1998 111  0  376.
1998 112  0  355.
1998 113  0  343.
1998 114  0  425.
1998 115  0  426.
1998 116  0  479.
1998 117  0  469.
1998 118  0  425.
1998 119  0  344.
1998 120  0  341.
1998 121  0  426.
1998 122  0  601.
1998 123  0  476.
1998 124  0  670.
1998 125  0  585.
1998 126  0  496.
1998 127  0  479.
1998 128  0  569.
1998 129  0  531.
1998 130  0  489.
1998 131  0  484.
1998 132  0  480.
1998 133  0  393.
1998 134  0  332.
1998 135  0  327.
1998 136  0  493.
1998 137  0  493.
1998 138  0  430.
1998 139  0  396.
1998 140  0  408.
1998 141  0  416.
1998 142  0  376.
1998 143  0  375.
1998 144  0  415.
1998 145  0  407.
1998 146  0  398.
1998 147  0  352.
1998 148  0  349.
1998 149  0  517.
1998 150  0  597.
1998 151  0  480.
1998 152  0  435.
1998 153  0  408.
1998 154  0  441.
1998 155  0  397.
1998 156  0  374.
1998 157  0  413.
1998 158  0  582.
1998 159  0  513.
1998 160  0  459.
1998 161  0  466.
1998 162  0  414.
1998 163  0  354.
1998 164  0  341.
1998 165  0  343.
1998 166  0  369.
1998 167  0  411.
1998 168  0  355.
1998 169  0  333.
1998 170  0  443.
1998 171  0  426.
1998 172  0  419.
1998 173  0  404.
1998 174  0  387.
1998 175  0  460.
1998 176  0  447.
1998 177  0  469.
1998 178  0  447.
1998 179  0  389.
1998 180  0  375.
1998 181  0  354.
1998 182  0  316.
1998 183  0  369.
1998 184  0  410.
1998 185  0  406.
1998 186  0  477.
1998 187  0  583.
1998 188  0  458.
1998 189  0  386.
1998 190  0  342.
1998 191  0  333.
1998 192  0  369.
1998 193  0  406.
1998 194  0  375.
1998 195  0  332.
1998 196  0  310.
1998 197  0  528.
1998 198  0  530.
1998 199  0  387.
1998 200  0  385.
1998 201  0  349.
1998 202  0  409.
1998 203  0  399.
1998 204  0  619.
1998 205  0  658.
1998 206  0  581.
1998 207  0  445.
1998 208  0  370.
1998 209  0  326.
1998 210  0  334.
1998 211  0  384.
1998 212  0  423.
1998 213  0  412.
1998 214  0  404.
1998 215  0  370.
1998 216  0  384.
1998 217  0  383.
1998 218  0  378.
1998 219  0  461.
1998 220  0  460.
1998 221  0  400.
1998 222  0  447.
1998 223  0  373.
1998 224  0  379.
1998 225  0  374.
1998 226  0  374.
1998 227  0  391.
1998 228  0  348.
1998 229  0  303.
1998 230  0  279.
1998 231  0  312.
1998 232  0  331.
1998 233  0  298.
1998 234  0  341.
1998 235  0  493.
1998 236  0  436.
1998 237  0  400.
1998 238  0  633.
1998 239  0  630.
1998 240  0  583.
1998 241  0  547.
1998 242  0  550.
1998 243  0  499.
1998 244  0  444.
1998 245  0  427.
1998 246  0  401.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 8:01 AM Rui Barradas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > 1998 143  0  375.
> > 1998 144  0  415.
> > 1998 145  0  407.
> > 1998 146  0  398.
> > 1998 147  0  352.
> > 1998 148  0  349.
> > 1998 149  0  517.
> > 1998 150  0  597.
> > 1998 151  0  480.
> > 1998 152  0  435.
> > 1998 153  0  408.
> > 1998 154  0  441.
> > 1998 155  0  397.
> > 1998 156  0  374.
> > 1998 157  0  413.
> > 1998 158  0  582.
> > 1998 159  0  513.
> > 1998 160  0  459.
> > 1998 161  0  466.
> > 1998 162  0  414.
> > 1998 163  0  354.
> > 1998 164  0  341.
> > 1998 165  0  343.
> > 1998 166  0  369.
> > 1998 167  0  411.
> > 1998 168  0  355.
> > Thanks
> > Jibrin
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Rui Barradas <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello,
> >
> >     No dataset was attached. Like the posting guide says,
> >
> >     No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and archive
> >     formats (others are automatically stripped off because they can
> contain
> >     malicious software). Files in other formats and larger ones should
> >     rather be put on the web and have only their URLs posted. This way a
> >     reader has the option to download them or not.
> >

> >     Can you post sample data? Please post the output of `dput(df)`. Or,
> if
> >     it is too big the output of `dput(head(df, 20))`. (`df` is the name
> of
> >     your dataset.)
> >
> >     Hope this helps,
> >
> >     Rui Barradas
> >
> >     Às 11:30 de 15/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:
> >      > Dear R users,
> >      > I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed
> >     for my
> >      > work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day
> with R
> >      > software? I have used this code
> >      > as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
> >      > but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile,
> >     I have up
> >      > to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
> >      > Kindly help, please.
> >      > Jibrin Alhassan
> >      > ______________________________________________
> >      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
> >     -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
> >      > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> >      > PLEASE do read the posting guide
> >     http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> >      > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
> >      >

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Jeff Newmiller
This is an opportunity for you to think for yourself (r-help) instead of expecting solutions neatly wrapped and delivered (r-do-my-work-for-me). Remove the no-longer-needed columns once the desired columns are available.

On January 17, 2021 7:12:28 AM PST, Jibrin Alhassan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > 1998 151  0  480.
>> > 1998 152  0  435.
>> > 1998 153  0  408.
>> > 1998 154  0  441.
>> > 1998 155  0  397.
>> > 1998 156  0  374.
>> > 1998 157  0  413.
>> > 1998 158  0  582.
>> > 1998 159  0  513.
>> > 1998 160  0  459.
>> > 1998 161  0  466.
>> > 1998 162  0  414.
>> > 1998 163  0  354.
>> > 1998 164  0  341.
>> > 1998 165  0  343.
>> > 1998 166  0  369.
>> > 1998 167  0  411.
>> > 1998 168  0  355.
>> > Thanks
>> > Jibrin
>> >
>> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Rui Barradas <[hidden email]
>> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     Hello,
>> >
>> >     No dataset was attached. Like the posting guide says,
>> >
>> >     No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and
>archive
>> >     formats (others are automatically stripped off because they can
>> contain
>> >     malicious software). Files in other formats and larger ones
>should
>> >     rather be put on the web and have only their URLs posted. This
>way a
>> >     reader has the option to download them or not.
>> >

>> >     Can you post sample data? Please post the output of `dput(df)`.
>Or,
>> if
>> >     it is too big the output of `dput(head(df, 20))`. (`df` is the
>name
>> of
>> >     your dataset.)
>> >
>> >     Hope this helps,
>> >
>> >     Rui Barradas
>> >
>> >     Às 11:30 de 15/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:
>> >      > Dear R users,
>> >      > I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data
>needed
>> >     for my
>> >      > work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and
>day
>> with R
>> >      > software? I have used this code
>> >      > as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
>> >      > but it can only convert one day of the year at a time.
>Meanwhile,
>> >     I have up
>> >      > to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
>> >      > Kindly help, please.
>> >      > Jibrin Alhassan
>> >      > ______________________________________________
>> >      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing
>list
>> >     -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>> >      > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>> >      > PLEASE do read the posting guide
>> >     http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>> >      > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible
>code.
>> >      >

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

My code didn't produce only 6 rows, it displayed only 6 rows. But all
rows now have a date column.

As for the first question,

df2 <- df1[c("SWS", "date")]

selects the columns with those names. I didn't rewrite the original df1,
but if you want to, assign to df1, without creating df2.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Às 15:12 de 17/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:

> [...]
>      > 1998 162  0  414.
>      > 1998 163  0  354.
>      > 1998 164  0  341.
>      > 1998 165  0  343.
>      > 1998 166  0  369.
>      > 1998 167  0  411.
>      > 1998 168  0  355.
>      > Thanks
>      > Jibrin
>      >
>      > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Rui Barradas
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     Hello,
>      >
>      >     No dataset was attached. Like the posting guide says,
>      >
>      >     No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and
>     archive
>      >     formats (others are automatically stripped off because they
>     can contain
>      >     malicious software). Files in other formats and larger ones
>     should
>      >     rather be put on the web and have only their URLs posted.
>     This way a
>      >     reader has the option to download them or not.
>      >
>      >
>      >     Can you post sample data? Please post the output of
>     `dput(df)`. Or, if
>      >     it is too big the output of `dput(head(df, 20))`. (`df` is
>     the name of
>      >     your dataset.)
>      >
>      >     Hope this helps,
>      >
>      >     Rui Barradas
>      >
>      >     Às 11:30 de 15/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:
>      >      > Dear R users,
>      >      > I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data
>     needed
>      >     for my
>      >      > work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and
>     day with R
>      >      > software? I have used this code
>      >      > as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
>      >      > but it can only convert one day of the year at a time.
>     Meanwhile,
>      >     I have up
>      >      > to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
>      >      > Kindly help, please.
>      >      > Jibrin Alhassan
>      >      > ______________________________________________
>      >      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> mailing list
>      >     -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>      >      > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>      >      > PLEASE do read the posting guide
>      > http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>      >      > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained,
>     reproducible code.
>      >      >
>      >

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Hellow Rui,
The code helped.
I am very grateful.
Jibrin

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 12:14 AM Rui Barradas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >      > 1998 164  0  341.
> >      > 1998 165  0  343.
> >      > 1998 166  0  369.
> >      > 1998 167  0  411.
> >      > 1998 168  0  355.
> >      > Thanks
> >      > Jibrin
> >      >
> >      > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Rui Barradas
> >     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >      > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >     Hello,
> >      >
> >      >     No dataset was attached. Like the posting guide says,
> >      >
> >      >     No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and
> >     archive
> >      >     formats (others are automatically stripped off because they
> >     can contain
> >      >     malicious software). Files in other formats and larger ones
> >     should
> >      >     rather be put on the web and have only their URLs posted.
> >     This way a
> >      >     reader has the option to download them or not.
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >     Can you post sample data? Please post the output of
> >     `dput(df)`. Or, if
> >      >     it is too big the output of `dput(head(df, 20))`. (`df` is
> >     the name of
> >      >     your dataset.)
> >      >
> >      >     Hope this helps,
> >      >
> >      >     Rui Barradas
> >      >
> >      >     Às 11:30 de 15/01/21, Jibrin Alhassan escreveu:
> >      >      > Dear R users,
> >      >      > I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data
> >     needed
> >      >     for my
> >      >      > work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and
> >     day with R
> >      >      > software? I have used this code
> >      >      > as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
> >      >      > but it can only convert one day of the year at a time.
> >     Meanwhile,
> >      >     I have up
> >      >      > to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
> >      >      > Kindly help, please.
> >      >      > Jibrin Alhassan
> >      >      > ______________________________________________
> >      >      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> mailing
> list
> >      >     -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
> >      >      > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> >      >      > PLEASE do read the posting guide
> >      > http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> >      >      > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained,
> >     reproducible code.
> >      >      >
> >      >

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Hi Bert,
Thanks for your time. I will check some relevant tutorias. I am very
grateful.
Jibrin
Th

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:49 PM Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are many good tutorials for R. As a "newbie", you need to avail
> yourself of them. Although this forum is meant to "help", it is not
> designed to provide tutorials. Understanding basic R functionality is
> largely assumed here.
>
> Searching on "tutorials on date-time data in R" brought up many
> possibilities. Choose one or more that best suits your needs.
>
> As for your specific query, you seem not to understand R's "vectorization"
> behavior: your statement, "it can only convert one day of the year at a
> time", is false. Again, search for a tutorial on "vectorization in R." But
> note that the "Intro to R" tutorial that ships with R already has this.
>

> Bert Gunter

> sticking things into it."
>

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:55 AM Jibrin Alhassan <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear R users,
>> I am very new to R software. I have solar wind speed data needed for my
>> work. How do I convert day in the year to year, month, and day with R
>> software? I have used this code
>> as.Date(0, origin = "1998-01-01")
>> but it can only convert one day of the year at a time. Meanwhile, I have
>> up
>> to the 1998-2002 data set. Attached is my data.
>> Kindly help, please.
>> Jibrin Alhassan

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Jibrin Alhassan
Hello Peter,
Thanks for your input. What I need runs like this.
df1 <- read.table("SWSdata_1998_2002", header = TRUE)
> df1$date <- as.Date(paste(df1$year, df1$day),
+ Error: unexpected end of input
> df1$date <- as.Date(paste(df1$year, df1$day),format = "%Y %j",origin =
"1998-01-01")
> df2 <- df1[c("date", "SWS")]
> head(df2)
        date SWS
I need to display 1,826 rows and not 6 rows. Copied below is a section of
my data for your kind help.
year   day Hr SWS
1998   1  0  344.
1998   2  0  346.
1998   3  0  356.
1998   4  0  332.
1998   5  0  302.
1998   6  0  329.
1998   7  0  395.
1998   8  0  359.
1998   9  0  471.
1998  10  0  392.
1998  11  0  346.
1998  12  0  387.
1998  13  0  393.
1998  14  0  367.
1998  15  0  320.
1998  16  0  309.
1998  17  0  341.
1998  18  0  329.
1998  19  0  322.
1998  20  0  429.
1998  21  0  433.
1998  22  0  398.
1998  23  0  393.
1998  24  0  393.
1998  25  0  423.
1998  26  0  426.
1998  27  0  429.
1998  28  0  386.
1998  29  0  381.
1998  30  0  375.
1998  31  0  365.
1998  32  0  450.
1998  33  0  381.
1998  34  0  316.
1998  35  0  351.
1998  36  0  306.
1998  37  0  312.
1998  38  0  320.
1998  39  0  339.
1998  40  0  395.
1998  41  0  429.
1998  42  0  479.
1998  43  0  495.
1998  44  0  407.
1998  45  0  358.
1998  46  0  360.
1998  47  0  382.
1998  48  0  394.
1998  49  0  393.
1998  50  0  435.
1998  51  0  408.
1998  52  0  360.
1998  53  0  372.
1998  54  0  376.
1998  55  0  379.
1998  56  0  361.
1998  57  0  333.
1998  58  0  321.
1998  59  0  344.
1998  60  0  412.
1998  61  0  428.
1998  62  0  401.
1998  63  0  369.
1998  64  0  343.
1998  65  0  330.
1998  66  0  317.
1998  67  0  296.
1998  68  0  282.
1998  69  0  404.
1998  70  0  530.
1998  71  0  525.
1998  72  0  484.
1998  73  0  430.
1998  74  0  388.
1998  75  0  347.
1998  76  0  337.
1998  77  0  342.
1998  78  0  305.
1998  79  0  329.
1998  80  0  420.
1998  81  0  564.
1998  82  0  483.
1998  83  0  385.
1998  84  0  393.
1998  85  0  437.
1998  86  0  441.
1998  87  0  434.
1998  88  0  471.
1998  89  0  429.
1998  90  0  412.
1998  91  0  370.
1998  92  0  326.
1998  93  0  357.
1998  94  0  338.
1998  95  0  380.
1998  96  0  339.
1998  97  0  312.
1998  98  0  313.
1998  99  0  327.
1998 100  0  362.
1998 101  0  358.
1998 102  0  387.
1998 103  0  397.
1998 104  0  375.
1998 105  0  350.
1998 106  0  357.
1998 107  0  472.
1998 108  0  526.
1998 109  0  396.
1998 110  0  374.
1998 111  0  376.
1998 112  0  355.
1998 113  0  343.
1998 114  0  425.
1998 115  0  426.
1998 116  0  479.
1998 117  0  469.
1998 118  0  425.
1998 119  0  344.
1998 120  0  341.
1998 121  0  426.
1998 122  0  601.
1998 123  0  476.
1998 124  0  670.
1998 125  0  585.
1998 126  0  496.
1998 127  0  479.
1998 128  0  569.
1998 129  0  531.
1998 130  0  489.
1998 131  0  484.
1998 132  0  480.
1998 133  0  393.
1998 134  0  332.
1998 135  0  327.
1998 136  0  493.
1998 137  0  493.
1998 138  0  430.
1998 139  0  396.
1998 140  0  408.
1998 141  0  416.
1998 142  0  376.
1998 143  0  375.
1998 144  0  415.
1998 145  0  407.
1998 146  0  398.
1998 147  0  352.
1998 148  0  349.
1998 149  0  517.
1998 150  0  597.
1998 151  0  480.
1998 152  0  435.
1998 153  0  408.
1998 154  0  441.
1998 155  0  397.
1998 156  0  374.
1998 157  0  413.
1998 158  0  582.
1998 159  0  513.
1998 160  0  459.
1998 161  0  466.
1998 162  0  414.
1998 163  0  354.
1998 164  0  341.
1998 165  0  343.
1998 166  0  369.
1998 167  0  411.
1998 168  0  355.
1998 169  0  333.
1998 170  0  443.
1998 171  0  426.
1998 172  0  419.
1998 173  0  404.
1998 174  0  387.
1998 175  0  460.
1998 176  0  447.
1998 177  0  469.
1998 178  0  447.
1998 179  0  389.
1998 180  0  375.
1998 181  0  354.
1998 182  0  316.
1998 183  0  369.
1998 184  0  410.
1998 185  0  406.
1998 186  0  477.
1998 187  0  583.
1998 188  0  458.
1998 189  0  386.
1998 190  0  342.
1998 191  0  333.
1998 192  0  369.
1998 193  0  406.
1998 194  0  375.
1998 195  0  332.
1998 196  0  310.
1998 197  0  528.
1998 198  0  530.
1998 199  0  387.
1998 200  0  385.
1998 201  0  349.
1998 202  0  409.
1998 203  0  399.
1998 204  0  619.
1998 205  0  658.
1998 206  0  581.
1998 207  0  445.
1998 208  0  370.
1998 209  0  326.
1998 210  0  334.
1998 211  0  384.
1998 212  0  423.
1998 213  0  412.
1998 214  0  404.
1998 215  0  370.
1998 216  0  384.
1998 217  0  383.
1998 218  0  378.
1998 219  0  461.
1998 220  0  460.
1998 221  0  400.
1998 222  0  447.
1998 223  0  373.
1998 224  0  379.
1998 225  0  374.
1998 226  0  374.
1998 227  0  391.
1998 228  0  348.
1998 229  0  303.
1998 230  0  279.
1998 231  0  312.
1998 232  0  331.
1998 233  0  298.
1998 234  0  341.
1998 235  0  493.
1998 236  0  436.
1998 237  0  400.
1998 238  0  633.
1998 239  0  630.
1998 240  0  583.
1998 241  0  547.
1998 242  0  550.
1998 243  0  499.
1998 244  0  444.
1998 245  0  427.
1998 246  0  401.
1998 247  0  382.
1998 248  0  336.
1998 249  0  344.
1998 250  0  327.
1998 251  0  334.
1998 252  0  360.
1998 253  0  361.
1998 254  0  346.
1998 255  0  422.
1998 256  0  424.
1998 257  0  380.
1998 258  0  309.
1998 259  0  291.
1998 260  0  311.
1998 261  0  392.
1998 262  0  416.
1998 263  0  371.
1998 264  0  370.
1998 265  0  397.
1998 266  0  412.
1998 267  0  471.
1998 268  0  713.
1998 269  0  586.
1998 270  0  533.
1998 271  0  499.
1998 272  0  419.
1998 273  0  437.
1998 274  0  510.
1998 275  0  608.
1998 276  0  561.
1998 277  0  451.
1998 278  0  416.
1998 279  0  363.
1998 280  0  440.
1998 281  0  521.
1998 282  0  459.
1998 283  0  431.
1998 284  0  399.
1998 285  0  348.
1998 286  0  309.
1998 287  0  304.
1998 288  0  369.
1998 289  0  395.
1998 290  0  386.
1998 291  0  348.
1998 292  0  397.
1998 293  0  439.
1998 294  0  542.
1998 295  0  617.
1998 296  0  541.
1998 297  0  479.
1998 298  0  425.
1998 299  0  404.
1998 300  0  414.
1998 301  0  519.
1998 302  0  575.
1998 303  0  509.
1998 304  0  411.
1998 305  0  387.
1998 306  0  388.
1998 307  0  403.
1998 308  0  371.
1998 309  0  388.
1998 310  0  400.
1998 311  0  467.
1998 312  0  539.
1998 313  0  455.
1998 314  0  417.
1998 315  0  351.
1998 316  0  345.
1998 317  0  385.
1998 318  0  389.
1998 319  0  443.
1998 320  0  511.
1998 321  0  441.
1998 322  0  381.
1998 323  0  375.
1998 324  0  418.
1998 325  0  417.
1998 326  0  385.
1998 327  0  386.
1998 328  0  475.
1998 329  0  459.
1998 330  0  474.
1998 331  0  424.
1998 332  0  426.
1998 333  0  414.
1998 334  0  429.
1998 335  0  465.
1998 336  0  429.
1998 337  0  448.
1998 338  0  478.
1998 339  0  473.
1998 340  0  425.
1998 341  0  414.
1998 342  0  415.
1998 343  0  412.
1998 344  0  363.
1998 345  0  364.
1998 346  0  381.
1998 347  0  385.
1998 348  0  404.
1998 349  0  372.
1998 350  0  468.
1998 351  0  365.
1998 352  0  323.
1998 353  0  343.
1998 354  0  422.
1998 355  0  351.
1998 356  0  350.
1998 357  0  343.
1998 358  0  332.
1998 359  0  422.
1998 360  0  468.
1998 361  0  380.
1998 362  0  378.
1998 363  0  405.
1998 364  0  410.
1998 365  0  389.
1999   1  0  421.
1999   2  0  397.
1999   3  0  354.
1999   4  0  341.
1999   5  0  330.
1999   6  0  378.
1999   7  0  476.
1999   8  0  453.
1999   9  0  435.
1999  10  0  406.
1999  11  0  429.
1999  12  0  373.
1999  13  0  382.
1999  14  0  461.
1999  15  0  554.
1999  16  0  498.
1999  17  0  413.
1999  18  0  355.
1999  19  0  371.
1999  20  0  375.
1999  21  0  471.
1999  22  0  514.
1999  23  0  572.
1999  24  0  517.
1999  25  0  463.
1999  26  0  388.
1999  27  0  372.
Many thanks,
Jibrin

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 6:24 PM peter dalgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > 1998 119  0  344.
> > 1998 120  0  341.
> > 1998 121  0  426.
> > 1998 122  0  601.
> > 1998 123  0  476.
> > 1998 124  0  670.
> > 1998 125  0  585.
> > 1998 126  0  496.
> > 1998 127  0  479.
> > 1998 128  0  569.
> > 1998 129  0  531.
> > 1998 130  0  489.
> > 1998 131  0  484.
> > 1998 132  0  480.
> > 1998 133  0  393.
> > 1998 134  0  332.
> > 1998 135  0  327.
> > 1998 136  0  493.
> > 1998 137  0  493.
> > 1998 138  0  430.
> > 1998 139  0  396.
> > 1998 140  0  408.
> > 1998 141  0  416.
> > 1998 142  0  376.
> > 1998 143  0  375.
> > 1998 144  0  415.
> > 1998 145  0  407.
> > 1998 146  0  398.
> > 1998 147  0  352.
> > 1998 148  0  349.
> > 1998 149  0  517.
> > 1998 150  0  597.
> > 1998 151  0  480.
> > 1998 152  0  435.
> > 1998 153  0  408.
> > 1998 154  0  441.
> > 1998 155  0  397.
> > 1998 156  0  374.
> > 1998 157  0  413.
> > 1998 158  0  582.
> > 1998 159  0  513.
> > 1998 160  0  459.
> > 1998 161  0  466.
> > 1998 162  0  414.
> > 1998 163  0  354.
> > 1998 164  0  341.
> > 1998 165  0  343.
> > 1998 166  0  369.
> > 1998 167  0  411.
> > 1998 168  0  355.
> > Thanks
> > Jibrin
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Rui Barradas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> No dataset was attached. Like the posting guide says,
> >>
> >> No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and archive
> >> formats (others are automatically stripped off because they can contain
> >> malicious software). Files in other formats and larger ones should
> >> rather be put on the web and have only their URLs posted. This way a
> >> reader has the option to download them or not.
> >>

> >> Can you post sample data? Please post the output of `dput(df)`. Or, if
> >> it is too big the output of `dput(head(df, 20))`. (`df` is the name of
> >> your dataset.)
> >>
> >> Hope this helps,
> >>
> >> Rui Barradas

> have
> >> up

> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> Phone: (+45)38153501
> Office: A 4.23

Re: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Jeff,
Thank you so much for the challenge. It is inspiring.
Jibrin

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 7:04 PM Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >1998 190  0  342.
> >1998 191  0  333.
> >1998 192  0  369.
> >1998 193  0  406.
> >1998 194  0  375.
> >1998 195  0  332.
> >1998 196  0  310.
> >1998 197  0  528.
> >1998 198  0  530.
> >1998 199  0  387.
> >1998 200  0  385.
> >1998 201  0  349.
> >1998 202  0  409.
> >1998 203  0  399.
> >1998 204  0  619.
> >1998 205  0  658.
> >1998 206  0  581.
> >1998 207  0  445.
> >1998 208  0  370.
> >1998 209  0  326.
> >1998 210  0  334.
> >1998 211  0  384.
> >1998 212  0  423.
> >1998 213  0  412.
> >1998 214  0  404.
> >1998 215  0  370.
> >1998 216  0  384.
> >1998 217  0  383.
> >1998 218  0  378.
> >1998 219  0  461.
> >1998 220  0  460.
> >1998 221  0  400.
> >1998 222  0  447.
> >1998 223  0  373.
> >1998 224  0  379.
> >1998 225  0  374.
> >1998 226  0  374.
> >1998 227  0  391.
> >1998 228  0  348.
> >1998 229  0  303.
> >1998 230  0  279.
> >1998 231  0  312.
> >1998 232  0  331.
> >1998 233  0  298.
> >1998 234  0  341.
> >1998 235  0  493.
> >1998 236  0  436.
> >1998 237  0  400.
> >1998 238  0  633.
> >1998 239  0  630.
> >1998 240  0  583.
> >1998 241  0  547.
> >1998 242  0  550.
> >1998 243  0  499.
> >1998 244  0  444.
> >1998 245  0  427.
> >1998 246  0  401.
> >
> >On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 8:01 AM Rui Barradas <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the data, it makes things easier.
> >>
> >> df1 <- read.table("Jibrin_data.txt", header = TRUE)
> >> #'data.frame':  168 obs. of  4 variables:
> >> # $ year: int  1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 ...
> >> # $ day : int  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
> >> # $ Hr  : int  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...
> >> # $ SWS : num  344 346 356 332 302 329 395 359 471 392 ...
> >>
> >> Here is a simple way of converting the year and day of year columns
> >to a
> >> column of class "Date".
> >> Like others have said, there are also CRAN packages to handle
> >date/time
> >> data, my favorite being package lubridate, but base R can do it.
> >>

> >> df1$date <- as.Date(paste(df1$year, df1$day),

Fwd: Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Jibrin Alhassan

Problem on Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day" has been solved

Jibrin Alhassan
Dear R users,
> I want to thank you all for your contributions to the problem I posted. It
> has been solved. Find below the code that solved the problem.

df1 <- read.table("SWS1998_2002", header = TRUE)
df1$date <- as.Date(paste(df1$year, df1$day),
 format = "%Y %j",
origin = "1998-01-01")
df2 <- df1[c("date", "Dst")]
head(df2)