Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex

Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex

Erin Hodgess-2
Hello everyone!

I am writing up something (quickly) using LaTex and periodically refer to R
functions and packages.

What is the correct way to put those into LaTex, please?  I know that R
itself is {\tt R}, but am not sure about the others.

Thanks for any help,
Sincerely,
Erin
PS  Or should I just be doing this in R Studio, even though there is no
code, please?

--
Erin Hodgess
Associate Professor

Re: Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex

Kevin E. Thorpe
On 12/10/2015 12:10 PM, Erin Hodgess wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I am writing up something (quickly) using LaTex and periodically refer to R
> functions and packages.
>
> What is the correct way to put those into LaTex, please?  I know that R
> itself is {\tt R}, but am not sure about the others.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Sincerely,
> Erin
> PS  Or should I just be doing this in R Studio, even though there is no
> code, please?

When I refer to R function in a LaTeX document I tend to use \texttt{}
(same as your {\tt } construct). Historical convention rendered computer
code in a monospace font (akin to Courier) so that's what I follow.

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)

Re: Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex

Erin Hodgess-2
Great,
Thanks!
Erin

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Kevin E. Thorpe <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 12/10/2015 12:10 PM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> I am writing up something (quickly) using LaTex and periodically refer to
>> functions and packages.
>>
>> What is the correct way to put those into LaTex, please?  I know that R
>> itself is {\tt R}, but am not sure about the others.
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Sincerely,
>> Erin
>> PS  Or should I just be doing this in R Studio, even though there is no
>> code, please?
>>

> When I refer to R function in a LaTeX document I tend to use \texttt{}
> (same as your {\tt } construct). Historical convention rendered computer
> code in a monospace font (akin to Courier) so that's what I follow.
>
> --
> Kevin E. Thorpe
> Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)
> Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's
> Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health
> University of Toronto
> email: [hidden email]  Tel: 416.864.5776  Fax: 416.864.3016

--
Erin Hodgess
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematical and Statistics
University of Houston - Downtown
mailto: [hidden email]

Re: Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex

JLucke
Erin
There is a LaTeX package called  listings. It has an R option to
prettyprint code.   Never used it.
Joe

"Kevin E. Thorpe" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: "R-help" <[hidden email]>
12/10/2015 12:14 PM

Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]>,
cc
R help <[hidden email]>
Subject
Re: [R] Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex

On 12/10/2015 12:10 PM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I am writing up something (quickly) using LaTex and periodically refer
to R

> functions and packages.
>
> What is the correct way to put those into LaTex, please?  I know that R
> itself is {\tt R}, but am not sure about the others.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Sincerely,
> Erin
> PS  Or should I just be doing this in R Studio, even though there is no
> code, please?

When I refer to R function in a LaTeX document I tend to use \texttt{}
(same as your {\tt } construct). Historical convention rendered computer
code in a monospace font (akin to Courier) so that's what I follow.

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)
Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's
Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health
University of Toronto
email: [hidden email]  Tel: 416.864.5776  Fax: 416.864.3016

Re: Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex

Ista Zahn
While we're at it: There is another LaTeX package called minted. It
has an R option to highlight R code. I've used it and it works well,
though it depends on python and the pygments python package.

--Ista

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:32 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Erin
> There is a LaTeX package called  listings. It has an R option to
> prettyprint code.   Never used it.
> Joe
>

> "Kevin E. Thorpe" <[hidden email]>
> Sent by: "R-help" <[hidden email]>
> 12/10/2015 12:14 PM

> Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]>,
> cc
> R help <[hidden email]>
> Subject
> Re: [R] Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex
>

> On 12/10/2015 12:10 PM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> I am writing up something (quickly) using LaTex and periodically refer
> to R
>> functions and packages.
>>
>> What is the correct way to put those into LaTex, please?  I know that R
>> itself is {\tt R}, but am not sure about the others.
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Sincerely,
>> Erin
>> PS  Or should I just be doing this in R Studio, even though there is no
>> code, please?
>>

> When I refer to R function in a LaTeX document I tend to use \texttt{}
> (same as your {\tt } construct). Historical convention rendered computer
> code in a monospace font (akin to Courier) so that's what I follow.
>
> --
> Kevin E. Thorpe
> Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)
> Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's
> Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health
> University of Toronto
> email: [hidden email]  Tel: 416.864.5776  Fax: 416.864.3016

Re: [FORGED] Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex

Rolf Turner
On 11/12/15 06:10, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I am writing up something (quickly) using LaTex and periodically refer to R
> functions and packages.
>
> What is the correct way to put those into LaTex, please?  I know that R
> itself is {\tt R}, but am not sure about the others.

Actually I much prefer \textsf{R} --- and insist on this in papers
submitted to ANZJS. The Journal of Statistical Software uses a macro
\proglang which renders R in sans serif font --- so this *must* be the
correct font.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics

Re: Correct notation for functions, packages when using LaTex

Frank Harrell
Rolf I believe \textsf is the correct font to use for the symbol R but
not necessarily for the names of R variables and functions.  I'd like
more discussion about that.

Frank

Frank E Harrell Jr Professor and Chairman School of Medicine

        Department of *Biostatistics* *Vanderbilt University*

Frank Harrell

On 12/12/15 09:26, Frank Harrell wrote:
> Rolf I believe \textsf is the correct font to use for the symbol R but
> not necessarily for the names of R variables and functions.  I'd like
> more discussion about that.

I agree; the names of R variables and functions are *code* and should be
rendered in "typewriter" font using \texttt{}.  (IMHO.)

cheers,

Rolf

--
Technical Editor ANZJS