Count unchanged class attribute

Soe Xiyan
Maybe someone can help me.
Suppose I have data-set like this:

  Netto   Bruto  class
1 10      1000    yes
2 100     20      yes

  Netto   Bruto  class
1 101     1000    yes
2 100     210     no

  Netto   Bruto  class
1 10      10      yes
2 12      28      yes
3 100     20      yes

  Netto   Bruto  class
1 120     200     no
2 400     20      yes

  Netto   Bruto  class
1 110     12000   yes
2 1100    120     yes
3 120     100     yes
4 1140    125     yes

How to calculate the number of classes has changed.
The expected result is
- class changed    2
- class unchanged  3

Thank you so much.
Soe Xiyan

Re: Count unchanged class attribute

Rolf Turner
On 20/05/15 04:37, Soe Xiyan wrote:

> Maybe someone can help me.
> Suppose I have data-set like this:
>
>    Netto   Bruto  class
> 1 10      1000    yes
> 2 100     20      yes
>

>    Netto   Bruto  class
> 1 101     1000    yes
> 2 100     210     no
>

>    Netto   Bruto  class
> 1 10      10      yes
> 2 12      28      yes
> 3 100     20      yes
>
>    Netto   Bruto  class
> 1 120     200     no
> 2 400     20      yes
>

>    Netto   Bruto  class
> 1 110     12000   yes
> 2 1100    120     yes
> 3 120     100     yes
> 4 1140    125     yes
>
> How to calculate the number of classes has changed.
> The expected result is
> - class changed    2
> - class unchanged  3

The actual structure of your "data set" is unclear.  You appear to have
your data stored in a number of separate data frames, but this is not
made explicit.  The details must be specified in order for anyone to be
able to help you.

Moreover it is not at all clear what you want to achieve.

Why is "class changed" equal to 2 and "class unchanged" equal to 3?

I count 2 "no"-s and 11 "yes"-s (not 3 "yes"-s).

There are many clever people who subscribe to the R-help list, but few
if any of them are mind-readers.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics

Re: Count unchanged class attribute

John Kane
Is this a list of data.frames or what?

Please have a look at one or both of these for some ideas of how to ask a question and provide information on the problem.  The better you can describe what you have and what you need the better people can help.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example and http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada

Bert Gunter
Probably "or what."

This demonstrates a fundamental conundrum: many users or prospective users
of R have had little exposure to data structures in their formal education
and therefore can be flummoxed by R's fussiness -- as any programming
language must necessarily be. Consider: data frames, matrices, lists,
"classes", objects with attributes (e.g. factors),...

Excel, which is basically structureless, of course, exacerbates the
problem. Those accustomed to its tolerance (and the confusion that results)
expect R to behave the same way. Education is the only recourse, either in
formal courses or through R tutorials that strongly emphasize this aspect
of interacting with R and especially writing effective code. But that
demands effort and, to some extent, aptitude... both of which seem to be in
increasingly short supply amidst the worldwide explosion in R's usage.

Of course, feel free to disagree... Just my $.02

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
(650) 467-7374

"Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge is
certainly not wisdom."
Clifford Stoll

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 7:02 PM, John Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this a list of data.frames or what?
>
> Please have a look at one or both of these for some ideas of how to ask a
> question and provide information on the problem.  The better you can
> describe what you have and what you need the better people can help.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example
> and http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html
>

> John Kane
> Kingston ON Canada

==========================
Nonsense, I am sure that weird feeling that my brain was being wrung out like a dishcloth, that I felt for the first 3-5 weeks was due to something I ate and had nothing to due with SPSS or SAS.

===========================

Excel, which is basically structureless, of course, exacerbates the problem. Those accustomed to its tolerance (and the confusion that results) expect R to behave the same way. Education is the only recourse, either in formal courses or through R tutorials that strongly emphasize this aspect of interacting with R and especially writing effective code. But that demands effort and, to some extent, aptitude... both of which seem to be in increasingly short supply amidst the worldwide explosion in R's usage.
================================
I don't think it's lack of aptitude but  I seldom see much in the various tutorials and books that really emphasis data structures or typing so people can spend a lot of time figuring out what a list is. Who, me?

I agree that Excel is scary. I believe I mentioned before that I live in fear that some medical spreadsheet will calculate a medical dose on my telephone number rather than my weight.  Of course, Excel being Excel, it would probably obligingly translate a character-formatted telephone number into a real number. I must try this the next time I get close to a machine with Excel.
===============================
Of course, feel free to disagree... Just my $.02

Cheers,

Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
(650) 467-7374

"Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge is certainly not wisdom."
Clifford Stoll

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 7:02 PM, John Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:

        Is this a list of data.frames or what?

 Please have a look at one or both of these for some ideas of how to ask a question and provide information on the problem.  The better you can describe what you have and what you need the better people can help.
 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example] and http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html [http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html]

 John Kane
 Kingston ON Canada

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Xiyan,
I have to admit that your puzzle very nearly stumped me. At first I
thought the question was:

"What are the numbers of rows with changed and unchanged class values?"

That doesn't work as there are at most four rows and your answer sums
to five. I then tried:

"How many times does at least one value of class change between
successive data frames?"

Nope, four have at least one change. Could it have been:

"Using unique combinations of the values of Netto and Bruto, how many
changes have occurred?"

Wrong again, there are 12 combinations, not five. Surely you don't mean:

"In how many data frames does ta least one value of class equal 'no'?"

df1<-data.frame(Netto=c(10,100),Bruto=c(1000,20),class=c("yes","yes"))
df2<-data.frame(Netto=c(101,100),Bruto=c(1000,210),class=c("yes","no"))
df3<-data.frame(Netto=c(10,12,100),Bruto=c(10,28,20),class=c("yes","yes","yes"))
df4<-data.frame(Netto=c(120,400),Bruto=c(200,20),class=c("no","yes"))
df5<-data.frame(Netto=c(110,1100,120,1140),Bruto=c(12000,120,100,125),
 class=c("yes","yes","yes","yes"))
sxdat<-list(df1,df2,df3,df4,df5)
table(ifelse(unlist(lapply(sxdat,function(x)
return(any(x$class=="no")))),"changed","unchanged"))

Jim

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Probably "or what."
>
> This demonstrates a fundamental conundrum: many users or prospective users
> of R have had little exposure to data structures in their formal education
> and therefore can be flummoxed by R's fussiness -- as any programming
> language must necessarily be. Consider: data frames, matrices, lists,
> "classes", objects with attributes (e.g. factors),...
>
> Excel, which is basically structureless, of course, exacerbates the
> problem. Those accustomed to its tolerance (and the confusion that results)
> expect R to behave the same way. Education is the only recourse, either in
> formal courses or through R tutorials that strongly emphasize this aspect
> of interacting with R and especially writing effective code. But that
> demands effort and, to some extent, aptitude... both of which seem to be in
> increasingly short supply amidst the worldwide explosion in R's usage.
>
> Of course, feel free to disagree... Just my $.02
>
> Cheers,
> Bert
>

> Bert Gunter
> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
> (650) 467-7374
>
> "Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge is
> certainly not wisdom."
> Clifford Stoll
>

> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 7:02 PM, John Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is this a list of data.frames or what?
>>
>> Please have a look at one or both of these for some ideas of how to ask a
>> question and provide information on the problem.  The better you can
>> describe what you have and what you need the better people can help.
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example
>> and http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html
>>

>> John Kane
>> Kingston ON Canada

My apologize if the question is confusing. This is due to my English
language.
Thanks to Jim Lemon who has helped me.
I must to learn R harder, like how to use  "unlist" and "list".