Creating covariance matrices for simple and complex factor structure

Creating covariance matrices for simple and complex factor structure

LOUDERMILK, BRANDON
Hello all,

I'm trying to create covariance matrices that, when processed via CFA methods (in the sem package) will produce exact fit with simple structure down to poor fit with cross loadings.  What is the best way to do this?  I don't really need to have the exact loop code, but maybe an explanation of how to make a few of the matrices or an explanation of the rationale behind performing this task would be of benefit.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Creating covariance matrices for simple and complex factor structure

William Revelle
At 6:00 PM +0000 2/5/11, LOUDERMILK, BRANDON wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm trying to create covariance matrices that, when processed via
>CFA methods (in the sem package) will produce exact fit with simple
>structure down to poor fit with cross loadings.  What is the best
>way to do this?  I don't really need to have the exact loop code,
>but maybe an explanation of how to make a few of the matrices or an
>explanation of the rationale behind performing this task would be of
>benefit.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Brandon,

  See some of the simulation functions in the psych package.  e.g.,
sim.congeneric, sim.structure,  sim. circumplex, sim.simplex, etc.

Bill