Creating multiple vector/list names-novice

Creating multiple vector/list names-novice

michalseneca
Hi I have very simple issue as I am still new to the group of R

I have basically

vector of names for which i want to create mutliple combinations and then place them in different vectors. In some other language I can just place a third dimension to separate list (or matrix) but i do not know how to do it in R.

My issue is simple I use
cc<-combn(colnames(DD),2)

I would need to have this as

vector1 or like vector[,,1] :           cc<-combn(colnames(DD),2)
vector2or like vector[,,2]              cc<-combn(colnames(DD),3)

etc..for up to k combinations

something so then I can use for loop to go through the al of these combinations

example:

string<-"a", "b" , "c" ",d"

vector/list(1) ab ac ad bc bd be cd ce de
vector/list  (2) abc abd abe bcd bce bde cde

Can you help me with this.. I know that it is a simple question for this thread thank you..

Michal

Re: Creating multiple vector/list names-novice

Henrique Dallazuanna
Try this:

 lapply(2:3, FUN = combn, x = string, paste, collapse = '')

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM, michalseneca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi I have very simple issue as I am still new to the group of R
>
> I have basically
>
> vector of names for which i want to create mutliple combinations and then
> place them in different vectors. In some other language I can just place a
> third dimension to separate list (or matrix) but i do not know how to do it
> in R.
>
> My issue is simple I use
> cc<-combn(colnames(DD),2)
>
> I would need to have this as
>
> vector1 or like vector[,,1] :           cc<-combn(colnames(DD),2)
> vector2or like vector[,,2]              cc<-combn(colnames(DD),3)
>
> etc..for up to k combinations
>
> something so then I can use for loop to go through the al of these
> combinations
>
> example:
>
> string<-"a", "b" , "c" ",d"
>
> vector/list(1) ab ac ad bc bd be cd ce de
> vector/list  (2) abc abd abe bcd bce bde cde
>

> Can you help me with this.. I know that it is a simple question for this
> thread thank you..
>
> Michal

Henrique Dallazuanna
Curitiba-Paraná-Brasil
25° 25' 40" S 49° 16' 22" O

Re: Creating multiple vector/list names-novice

michalseneca
Hi

Thanks ,however I would need something different still...

I would need  to return a vector so if as  to choose

cc[[3]] [2] would return vector/list  as in terms of  c(b,d,e)

Thanks

Re: Creating multiple vector/list names-novice

michalseneca
The exact would be for example that I shoul be able then to choose "a" from "abc". and I cannot do that.

Re: Creating multiple vector/list names-novice

Uwe Ligges-3

On 05.04.2011 09:07, michalseneca wrote:
> The exact would be for example that I shoul be able then to choose "a" from
> "abc". and I cannot do that.

The is rather unhelpful for helpers without quoting what your original
question and the answers were.

Uwe Ligges

Re: Creating multiple vector/list names-novice

michalseneca
Thanks

I already found out solution :)