Cumulative Density Plots (Hmisc/lattice)

Cumulative Density Plots (Hmisc/lattice)

Mike Bock
I have been using the ECDF function in the Hmisc package to produce
cumulative distribution function plots. The problem is that for small
datasets the steps "look bad" (not my characterization but from the
client). Is there a way to get the same information but smoothed? I have
tried the densityplot (lattice), which gives a smoothed line, but this
does not give the cumulative density.

Michael Bock, PhD
ENVIRON International Corporation
136 Commercial Street, Suite 402
Portland, ME 04101
phone: 207.347.4413
fax: 207.347.4384

Re: Cumulative Density Plots (Hmisc/lattice)

Deepayan Sarkar
On 1/17/06, Mike Bock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have been using the ECDF function in the Hmisc package to produce
> cumulative distribution function plots. The problem is that for small
> datasets the steps "look bad" (not my characterization but from the
> client). Is there a way to get the same information but smoothed? I have
> tried the densityplot (lattice), which gives a smoothed line, but this
> does not give the cumulative density.

Have you tried qqmath, perhaps with distribution=qunif? Except for the
transposition, the idea behind the plots are similar.

Deepayan
--
http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/

Re: Cumulative Density Plots (Hmisc/lattice)

Frank Harrell
Mike Bock wrote:

> I have been using the ECDF function in the Hmisc package to produce
> cumulative distribution function plots. The problem is that for small
> datasets the steps "look bad" (not my characterization but from the
> client). Is there a way to get the same information but smoothed? I have
> tried the densityplot (lattice), which gives a smoothed line, but this
> does not give the cumulative density.
>
> Michael Bock, PhD
> ENVIRON International Corporation
> 136 Commercial Street, Suite 402
> Portland, ME 04101
> phone: 207.347.4413
> fax: 207.347.4384

That will invalidate the definition of ECDF.  I've never had a client
complain about it before.

FH

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine

Frank Harrell