Data frame organization

arnaud Mosnier-2
Hi,

I have a really simple question.
I need to convert a data.frame with the following format

A   10
B   5
C   9
A   5
B   15
C   20

in this format

A   10   5
B   5    15
C   9    20

Thanks !!!

Re: Data frame organization

R help mailing list-2
 Dear Arnaud,
I just played around with your data a bit and found this to be useful. But kindly note that I am NO expert like the other people in the group. My answer to you is purely for help purposes. My knowledge in R too is limited. I used the reshape function and arrived at something. I am sure others will arrive at a better and more crisp answer that I have. Again please note: I am only a novice.
x <- c('A', 'B', 'C', 'A', 'B', 'C')y <- c(10, 5, 9, 5, 15, 20)df <- data.frame(x,y)dff <- reshape(df, v.names = "y", idvar = "x", timevar = "y", direction = "wide")
RESULT:
> f  x y.10 y.5 y.9 y.15 y.201 A   10   5  NA   NA   NA2 B   NA   5  NA   15   NA3 C   NA  NA   9   NA   20

Hope this is of any use.
Kind Regards,
s.

    On Monday, 26 August 2019, 11:37:13 pm GMT+5:30, Arnaud Mosnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hi,

I have a really simple question.
I need to convert a data.frame with the following format

A  10
B  5
C  9
A  5
B  15
C  20

in this format

A  10  5
B  5    15
C  9    20

Thanks !!!

Re: Data frame organization

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Arnaud,
The reason I wrote the following function is that it always takes me
half a dozen tries with "reshape" before I get the syntax right:

amdf<-read.table(text="A   10
B   5
C   9
A   5
B   15
C   20")
library(prettyR)
stretch_df(amdf,"V1","V2")
 V1 V2_1 V2_2
1  A   10    5
2  B    5   15
3  C    9   20

Jim

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 4:06 AM Arnaud Mosnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a really simple question.
> I need to convert a data.frame with the following format
>
> A   10
> B   5
> C   9
> A   5