Data sets online for student use

David Arnold
All,

If you have any good links for sites that contain data sets that can easily be accessed and copied (or downloaded) by students in introductory statistics, could you please share them?

Thanks.

David

Re: Data sets online for student use

barb
Hey David,

you might be interested in this:
http://www.inside-r.org/howto/finding-data-internet
library(dataset)
library(datamat)
http://www.r-bloggers.com/datasets-to-practice-your-data-mining/

Kind regards
Tonio

Re: Data sets online for student use

Bernd Klaus
Hi Arnold,

I like the "Data and Story" library a lot
and have already used it in my own courses:

http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/DASL/

BW

Bernd

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:51:04 -0800 (PST)
David Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> If you have any good links for sites that contain data sets that can easily
> be accessed and copied (or downloaded) by students in introductory
> statistics, could you please share them?
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

Re: Data sets online for student use

iembry
Hi David, I hope that the following may be useful to you and your students.

Irucka Embry

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/OIdata/index.html
OIdata: Data sets and supplements (OpenIntro)
A collection of data sets from several sources that may be useful for teaching, practice, or other purposes. Functions have also been included to assist in the retrieval of table data from websites or in visualizing sample data.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/openintro/index.html
openintro: OpenIntro data sets and supplemental functions
This package is a supplement to OpenIntro Statistics, which is a free textbook available at openintro.org (at cost paperbacks are also available for under $10 on Amazon). The package contains data sets used in the textbook along with custom plotting functions for reproducing book figures. Note that many functions and examples include color transparency. Some plotting elements may not show up properly (or at all) in some Windows versions.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ElemStatLearn/index.html
ElemStatLearn: Data sets, functions and examples from the book: "The Elements of Statistical Learning, Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction" by Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani and Jerome Friedman
Useful when reading the book above mentioned, in the documentation referred to as ‘the book’.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ISwR/index.html
ISwR: Introductory Statistics with R
Data sets and scripts for text examples and exercises in P. Dalgaard (2008), ‘Introductory Statistics with R’, 2nd ed., Springer Verlag, ISBN 978-0387790534.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/UsingR/index.html
UsingR: Data sets for the text "Using R for Introductory Statistics"
A collection of datasets to accompany the textbook "Using R for Introductory Statistics."

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/fastR/index.html
fastR: Data sets and utilities for Foundations and Applications of Statistics by R Pruim
Data sets and utilities for Foundations and Applications of Statistics:an Introduction using R by R Pruim

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/languageR/index.html
languageR: Data sets and functions with "Analyzing Linguistic Data: A practical introduction to statistics"
Data sets exemplifying statistical methods, and some facilitatory utility functions used in "Analyzing Linguistic Data: A practical introduction to statistics using R", Cambridge University Press, 2008

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/EngrExpt/index.html
EngrExpt: Data sets from "Introductory Statistics for Engineering Experimentation"
Datasets from Nelson, Coffin and Copeland "Introductory Statistics for Engineering Experimentation" (Elsevier, 2003) with sample code.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Devore6/index.html
Devore6: Data sets from Devore's "Prob and Stat for Eng (6th ed)"
Data sets and sample analyses from Jay L. Devore (2003), "Probability and Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences (6th ed)", Duxbury.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Devore7/index.html
Devore7: Data sets from Devore's "Prob and Stat for Eng (7th ed)"
Data sets and sample analyses from Jay L. Devore (2008), "Probability and Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences (7th ed)", Thomson.

Re: Data sets online for student use

glsnow
The thread starting with this post:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-teaching/2013q1/000534.html answers a
similar question and many of the answers there should apply here as well.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM, David Arnold <[hidden email]>wrote:

> All,
>
> If you have any good links for sites that contain data sets that can easily
> be accessed and copied (or downloaded) by students in introductory
> statistics, could you please share them?
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.

Re: Data sets online for student use

jverzaniNWBKZ
Nice list. I'd also add the HistData package of historical data sets.