Design of a survey using the "survey" package

Design of a survey using the "survey" package

Tom La Bone
I have looked through the new "Complex Surveys" book and the documentation for the "survey" package and it appears to me that there are no functions in "survey" that help one to design a sampling scheme. For example, in the book section 2.8 discusses the design of stratified samples, but there is no mention of any functions in the "survey" package that implement the discussed strategies. So, am I missing something obvious here or is the "survey" package meant only for analyzing survey data once you have it in hand?

Tom

Re: Design of a survey using the "survey" package

Tobias Verbeke
Tom La Bone wrote:

> I have looked through the new "Complex Surveys" book and the documentation
> for the "survey" package and it appears to me that there are no functions in
> "survey" that help one to design a sampling scheme. For example, in the book
> section 2.8 discusses the design of stratified samples, but there is no
> mention of any functions in the "survey" package that implement the
> discussed strategies. So, am I missing something obvious here or is the
> "survey" package meant only for analyzing survey data once you have it in
> hand?

Yes.

 > packageDescription("survey")
Package: survey
Title: analysis of complex survey samples
[...]

For drawing samples, see e.g. the sampling package:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/sampling/index.html

HTH,
Tobias

Re: Design of a survey using the "survey" package

Thomas Lumley
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Tom La Bone wrote:

>So, am I missing something obvious here or is the
> "survey" package meant only for analyzing survey data once you have it in
> hand?

Yes, basically.  The package title is "analysis of complex survey samples", and the book is "a guide to analysis using R", and you get what it says on the tin.

You might look at the 'sampling' package, which has techniques for taking samples and which is used in some simulations in the book.

   -thomas