Difference Linux / Windows

cgenolin
Hi the list,
I am writing a package that happen to not be compatible with linux
because I did not know that the function "savePlot" was available only
on windows. Is there a list of "incompatible" function? How can I get
this kind of information?
Thanks
Christophe

Re: Difference Linux / Windows

Seth Falcon-3
On 3/31/10 1:12 PM, Christophe Genolini wrote:
> Hi the list,
> I am writing a package that happen to not be compatible with linux
> because I did not know that the function "savePlot" was available only
> on windows. Is there a list of "incompatible" function? How can I get
> this kind of information?

One way is to obtain a copy of the R sources and then grep the Rd files
for '#ifdef'.

I don't claim this is convenient.

There has been discussion, and I believe general consensus, that we'd
like to eliminate the conditional documentation.  This requires editing
the Rd files to make the contents sensible (you can't just remove the
#ifdef's).  Patches along these lines would be welcome.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | @sfalcon | http://userprimary.net/

Re: Difference Linux / Windows

Simon Urbanek

On Mar 31, 2010, at 18:38 , Seth Falcon wrote:

> On 3/31/10 1:12 PM, Christophe Genolini wrote:
>> Hi the list,
>> I am writing a package that happen to not be compatible with linux
>> because I did not know that the function "savePlot" was available
>> only
>> on windows. Is there a list of "incompatible" function? How can I get
>> this kind of information?
>
> One way is to obtain a copy of the R sources and then grep the Rd
> files for '#ifdef'.
>
> I don't claim this is convenient.

nor sufficient - lot of it is simply in the windows directory (such as
savePlot).
The safest approach right now is simply to read the documentation -
savePlot does tell you that it works only for the Windows device. I'm
not aware of an automated list (save for dumping the function lists
per-package on each platform).

Cheers,
Simon

> There has been discussion, and I believe general consensus, that
> we'd like to eliminate the conditional documentation.  This requires
> editing the Rd files to make the contents sensible (you can't just
> remove the #ifdef's).  Patches along these lines would be welcome.
>
> + seth
>
> --
> Seth Falcon | @sfalcon | http://userprimary.net/

Re: Difference Linux / Windows

Paul Gilbert
Since this seems more like a wish-list discussion, if someone actually
starts thinking about the issue I would like to add the following
somewhat related point:

It would be nice if there were a mechanism, in task views or that could
be used by task views, to avoid attempting to install packages that will
fail on the platform. The current ctv mechanism is difficult for system
administrators because they actually have to know enough about R
packages to decide which failures are ok and which ones are not.

Paul

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.

On Apr 1, 2010, at 11:59 , Paul Gilbert wrote:

> Since this seems more like a wish-list discussion, if someone actually
> starts thinking about the issue I would like to add the following
> somewhat related point:
>
> It would be nice if there were a mechanism, in task views or that
> could
> be used by task views, to avoid attempting to install packages that
> will
> fail on the platform. The current ctv mechanism is difficult for
> system
> administrators because they actually have to know enough about R
> packages to decide which failures are ok and which ones are not.

Well, that is an entirely different issue and it is easy since we
already have the mechanism in place: OS_type.

Cheers,
Simon

barry rowlingson
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Simon Urbanek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2010, at 18:38 , Seth Falcon wrote:
>
>> On 3/31/10 1:12 PM, Christophe Genolini wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi the list,
>>> I am writing a package that happen to not be compatible with linux
>>> because I did not know that the function "savePlot" was available only
>>> on windows. Is there a list of "incompatible" function? How can I get
>>> this kind of information?
>>
>> One way is to obtain a copy of the R sources and then grep the Rd files
>> for '#ifdef'.
>>
>> I don't claim this is convenient.
>>

> nor sufficient - lot of it is simply in the windows directory (such as
> savePlot).
> The safest approach right now is simply to read the documentation - savePlot
> does tell you that it works only for the Windows device. I'm not aware of an
> automated list (save for dumping the function lists per-package on each
> platform).

 It works only on the "windows()" device on the Windows platform. The
savePlot function *is* on the Linux platform (contrary to OP message,
modulo whether a mention of 'windows' meant the platform or the
device) but only for Cairo x11() devices.

Clear?

Barry

On 31/03/2010 6:38 PM, Seth Falcon wrote:

> On 3/31/10 1:12 PM, Christophe Genolini wrote:
> > Hi the list,
> > I am writing a package that happen to not be compatible with linux
> > because I did not know that the function "savePlot" was available only
> > on windows. Is there a list of "incompatible" function? How can I get
> > this kind of information?
>
> One way is to obtain a copy of the R sources and then grep the Rd files
> for '#ifdef'.
>
> I don't claim this is convenient.
>
> There has been discussion, and I believe general consensus, that we'd
> like to eliminate the conditional documentation.  This requires editing
> the Rd files to make the contents sensible (you can't just remove the
> #ifdef's).  Patches along these lines would be welcome.

Producing those patches would be a lot of work even to incorporate, let
alone write.  Another possibility is some sort of markup in the display
to indicate platform-specific bits.  That would be a lot easier to
implement; the hard part is the design.

We have to design for 4 different output formats:  LaTeX, HTML, plain
text, and executable example code.  We need to design for help files
that display differently on different platforms, and for help files that
only exist on a subset of the platforms.