Difficulty Installing Packages

Bill Denney
Hi,

When installing packages in Windows (currently using Windows 10 with all
service packs), occasionally, I get a warning similar to the following:

package 'Rcpp' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

Warning in install.packages :

  unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\William
Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file32701900456\Rcpp' to
'C:\Users\William Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\Rcpp'

This can occur when installing many packages where the package that could
not be moved (e.g. Rcpp) is a dependency.  In the end, the package where the
warning is issued is not available to load, and I have to spend time
figuring out why.  The usual reason is that for some reason during the
package install process the library directory ("C:\Users\William
Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\") has been set to partially or fully
read-only.

I have a couple of questions:

* Why is the directory set to read-only?  It happens almost every time
that I install packages that are compiled.  (It doesn't seem to occur with
interpreted-only packages.)
* Shouldn't that warning be an error or at least prevent the packages
that depend on the one that couldn't be moved from being installed?  The way
that it tends to go, package installation completes with that warning, and
then I have to clean up the mess of missing dependencies.

Thanks,

Bill

Re: Difficulty Installing Packages

Uwe Ligges-3
On Windows, if you load a dll, this is locked.
Hence, for package installations, close all R instances, start one
without loading packages and then update packages.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

On 26.08.2017 15:18, Bill Denney wrote:

> Hi,
>

> When installing packages in Windows (currently using Windows 10 with all
> service packs), occasionally, I get a warning similar to the following:
>

> package 'Rcpp' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> Warning in install.packages :
>
>    unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\William
> Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file32701900456\Rcpp' to
> 'C:\Users\William Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\Rcpp'
>

> This can occur when installing many packages where the package that could
> not be moved (e.g. Rcpp) is a dependency.  In the end, the package where the
> warning is issued is not available to load, and I have to spend time
> figuring out why.  The usual reason is that for some reason during the
> package install process the library directory ("C:\Users\William
> Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\") has been set to partially or fully
> read-only.
>

> I have a couple of questions:
>

> * Why is the directory set to read-only?  It happens almost every time
> that I install packages that are compiled.  (It doesn't seem to occur with
> interpreted-only packages.)
> * Shouldn't that warning be an error or at least prevent the packages
> that depend on the one that couldn't be moved from being installed?  The way
> that it tends to go, package installation completes with that warning, and
> then I have to clean up the mess of missing dependencies.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Bill

Re: Difficulty Installing Packages

Jeff Newmiller
I think that this response should be added to R for Windows FAQ 3.5.

On August 26, 2017 11:45:55 PM PDT, Uwe Ligges <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Windows, if you load a dll, this is locked.
>Hence, for package installations, close all R instances, start one
>without loading packages and then update packages.
>
>Best,
>Uwe Ligges
>

>On 26.08.2017 15:18, Bill Denney wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> When installing packages in Windows (currently using Windows 10 with
>all
>> service packs), occasionally, I get a warning similar to the
>following:
>>

>> package 'Rcpp' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>>
>> Warning in install.packages :
>>
>>    unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\William
>> Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file32701900456\Rcpp' to
>> 'C:\Users\William Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\Rcpp'
>>

>> This can occur when installing many packages where the package that
>could
>> not be moved (e.g. Rcpp) is a dependency.  In the end, the package
>where the
>> warning is issued is not available to load, and I have to spend time
>> figuring out why.  The usual reason is that for some reason during
>the
>> package install process the library directory ("C:\Users\William
>> Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\") has been set to partially or
>fully
>> read-only.
>>

>> I have a couple of questions:
>>

>> * Why is the directory set to read-only?  It happens almost every
>time
>> that I install packages that are compiled.  (It doesn't seem to occur
>with
>> interpreted-only packages.)
>> * Shouldn't that warning be an error or at least prevent the packages
>> that depend on the one that couldn't be moved from being installed?
>The way
>> that it tends to go, package installation completes with that
>warning, and
>> then I have to clean up the mess of missing dependencies.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Bill
>>

>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Difficulty Installing Packages

Richard M. Heiberger
And also to the initial error message

I suggest the message be revised to say

" unable to move temporary installation.  Please close all running R
instances, and try again from a fresh
'R --vanilla' instance"