Discrepancy between is.list() and is(x, "list")

Discrepancy between is.list() and is(x, "list")

Shian Su
Hi R-devel,

I have noticed a discrepancy between is.list() and is(x, “list”), which I previously believed to be synonymous. On R version 3.5.2 (2018-12-20):

data(iris)
is.list(iris)    # TRUE
is(iris, “list”) # FALSE

Is this discrepancy intentional?

Kind regards,
Shian Su

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.

The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute acknowledges the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin
Nation as the traditional owners of the land where our campuses are located and
the continuing connection to country and community.