ESS, transcripts, and such

A.J. Rossini
> From: Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:33:09 -0500
> Subject: Re: [R] To improve my understanding of workspaces
> Other than Emacs, I use the same work habits as Adai.  An advantage of
> this workflow is that almost everything is stored in text format, so it
> is easy to compare different versions to see what has changed, and it
> works very well with version control (I use Subversion).
>
> The only thing I'd add to his recommendation is that you be sure to save
> the scripts that produced the objects in the binary images (his
> "lala.rda"), so that they can be reconstructed if necessary.  As long as
> the reconstruction isn't too difficult, this means I don't need to
> bother to save them in Subversion.

Agree with everything that Duncan said, except that I use bzr or darcs
instead of subversion, and of course, ESS/Emacs.

One nice thing about ESS/Emacs is that it will "clean" a transcript
buffer.  So if you are working in the inferior process buffer (where
you shouldn't be, but that's for another day), then you can write it
to disk as a transcript file, and "clean" it into a script.

best,
-tony

Re: ESS, transcripts, and such

Kevin E. Thorpe
A.J. Rossini wrote:
<SNIP>

> One nice thing about ESS/Emacs is that it will "cean" a transcript
> buffer.  So if you are working in the inferior process buffer (where
> you shouldn't be, but that's for another day), then you can write it
> to disk as a transcript file, and "clean" it into a script.

Okay, I'll bite.  Could you ellaborate a bit on your parenthetical
comment?

> best,
> -tony

Thanks,

Kevin

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist, Knowledge Translation Program

Re: ESS, transcripts, and such

A.J. Rossini
Work in an inferior R session

M-x write-buffer     to TonyIsSilly.Rt

So now your buffer is associated with a file, TonyIsSilly.Rt

M-x R-transcript-mode

M-x ess-transcript-clean-buffer

and you should be left with a script file, not a transcript file.

Enjoy.   I'll be talking about such things at useR if enough people
show up for the tutorial...

On 3/13/06, Kevin E. Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A.J. Rossini wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> > One nice thing about ESS/Emacs is that it will "cean" a transcript
> > buffer.  So if you are working in the inferior process buffer (where
> > you shouldn't be, but that's for another day), then you can write it
> > to disk as a transcript file, and "clean" it into a script.
>
> Okay, I'll bite.  Could you ellaborate a bit on your parenthetical
> comment?
>
> > best,
> > -tony
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin E. Thorpe
> Biostatistician/Trialist, Knowledge Translation Program
> Assistant Professor, Department of Public Health Sciences
> Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
> email: [hidden email]  Tel: 416.946.8081  Fax: 416.946.3297

--
best,
-tony

[hidden email]
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

Re: ESS, transcripts, and such

Kevin E. Thorpe
A.J. Rossini wrote:

> Work in an inferior R session
>
> M-x write-buffer     to TonyIsSilly.Rt
>
> So now your buffer is associated with a file, TonyIsSilly.Rt
>
> M-x R-transcript-mode
>
> M-x ess-transcript-clean-buffer
>
> and you should be left with a script file, not a transcript file.
>
> Enjoy.   I'll be talking about such things at useR if enough people
> show up for the tutorial...

Those are useful to know.  I was more interested in why you advise
not working directly in the inferior process buffer.  Sorry for not
being more clear.

Kevin