Error loading "XLConnect" library

Bernard Comcast
I installed the "XLConnect" package which appears to be successful and then tried to load the "XLConnect" library and got an error as shown below. Any ideas as to where to look for the source of the error? The word "release" in the error message makes me think it is some issue with the version of "XLConnect" but that is just a guess.

I am running the latest version of R available on CRAN on Windows 10.

> install.packages("XLConnect")
Installing package into ‘E:/Data/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/4.0’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/4.0/XLConnect_1.0.3.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 29498979 bytes (28.1 MB)
downloaded 28.1 MB
package ‘XLConnect’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
The downloaded binary packages are in
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpARt8Er\downloaded_packages

> library(XLConnect)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘XLConnect’:
.onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'XLConnect', details:
call: system2("cat", c("/etc/*-release"), stdout = TRUE, stderr = TRUE)
error: '"cat"' not found

> library("XLConnect")
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘XLConnect’:
.onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'XLConnect', details:
call: system2("cat", c("/etc/*-release"), stdout = TRUE, stderr = TRUE)
error: '"cat"' not found

Thanks

Bernard McGarvey

Director, Fort Myers Beach Lions Foundation, Inc.

Retired (Lilly Engineering Fellow).

Re: Error loading "XLConnect" library

Rui Barradas
Hello,

That is a unix/linux command and you are on Windows. The cat command and
other unix/linux commands can be installed when you install Rtools [1].

It is not well seen to cross post [2].

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/
[2]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67087299/error-package-or-namespace-load-failed-for-xlconnect

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Às 18:42 de 14/04/21, Bernard McGarvey escreveu:

> I installed the "XLConnect" package which appears to be successful and then tried to load the "XLConnect" library and got an error as shown below. Any ideas as to where to look for the source of the error? The word "release" in the error message makes me think it is some issue with the version of "XLConnect" but that is just a guess.
>
> I am running the latest version of R available on CRAN on Windows 10.
>
>> install.packages("XLConnect")
> Installing package into ‘E:/Data/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/4.0’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/4.0/XLConnect_1.0.3.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 29498979 bytes (28.1 MB)
> downloaded 28.1 MB
> package ‘XLConnect’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> The downloaded binary packages are in
> C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpARt8Er\downloaded_packages
>
>> library(XLConnect)
> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘XLConnect’:
> .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'XLConnect', details:
> call: system2("cat", c("/etc/*-release"), stdout = TRUE, stderr = TRUE)
> error: '"cat"' not found
>
>> library("XLConnect")
> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘XLConnect’:
> .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'XLConnect', details:
> call: system2("cat", c("/etc/*-release"), stdout = TRUE, stderr = TRUE)
> error: '"cat"' not found
>

> Thanks
>

> Bernard McGarvey
>
> Director, Fort Myers Beach Lions Foundation, Inc.
>
> Retired (Lilly Engineering Fellow).

Re: Error loading "XLConnect" library

R help mailing list-2

When you experience errors with a third party package like that, one of
the first steps to take is to review the results of CRAN testing on the
package. That is available via the "CRAN checks:" link on the package page:

   https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/XLConnect/index.html

That link takes you to:

   https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_XLConnect.html

where you can see that there are NOTEs and ERRORs being reported across
multiple platforms.

I would therefore contact the package maintainer and inquire as to the
current status of the package, plans to resolve the outstanding issues,
and a workaround in the mean time.

 From a review of the Issues page on the package's Github site, there
appear to be a number of such reports already:

   https://github.com/miraisolutions/xlconnect/issues

So you may want to review those communications first.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

Bernard McGarvey wrote on 4/14/21 1:42 PM:

> I installed the "XLConnect" package which appears to be successful and then tried to load the "XLConnect" library and got an error as shown below. Any ideas as to where to look for the source of the error? The word "release" in the error message makes me think it is some issue with the version of "XLConnect" but that is just a guess.
>
> I am running the latest version of R available on CRAN on Windows 10.
>
>> install.packages("XLConnect")
> Installing package into ‘E:/Data/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/4.0’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/4.0/XLConnect_1.0.3.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 29498979 bytes (28.1 MB)
> downloaded 28.1 MB
> package ‘XLConnect’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> The downloaded binary packages are in
> C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpARt8Er\downloaded_packages
>
>> library(XLConnect)
> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘XLConnect’:
> .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'XLConnect', details:
> call: system2("cat", c("/etc/*-release"), stdout = TRUE, stderr = TRUE)
> error: '"cat"' not found
>
>> library("XLConnect")
> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘XLConnect’:
> .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'XLConnect', details:
> call: system2("cat", c("/etc/*-release"), stdout = TRUE, stderr = TRUE)
> error: '"cat"' not found
>

> Thanks
>

> Bernard McGarvey
>
> Director, Fort Myers Beach Lions Foundation, Inc.
>
> Retired (Lilly Engineering Fellow).

Re: Error loading "XLConnect" library

Bernard Comcast
Thanks Marc

Bernard
Sent from my iPhone so please excuse the spelling!"