Explore patterns with GAM

spyros
Dear all,
I new to r and I would like your help.
I want to explore the patterns (unimodal, monotonically increased/decreased) of species richness~altitude using GAM in R. Although I run the gam function in mgcv package I do not know how to manually define knots and degrees of freedom.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Spyros

Re: Explore patterns with GAM

Andrew Robinson-6
Hi Spyros,

I suggest that you borrow / buy the book that was written by the author of
that package, and study it. It's "Generalized Additive Models: An
Introduction with R". There's a lot of stuff going on in GAM fitting that
it would be worth paying close attention to.

I hope that this helps,

Andrew

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM, spyros <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I new to r and I would like your help.
> I want to explore the patterns (unimodal, monotonically
> increased/decreased)
> of species richness~altitude using GAM in R. Although I run the gam
> function
> in mgcv package I do not know how to manually define knots and degrees of
> freedom.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Spyros

Andrew Robinson
Director (A/g), ACERA
Senior Lecturer in Applied Statistics                      Tel:
+61-3-8344-6410
Department of Mathematics and Statistics            Fax: +61-3-8344 4599
University of Melbourne, VIC 3010 Australia
Email: [hidden email]    Website: http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au

FAwR: http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~andrewpr/FAwR/
SPuR: http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/spuRs/

Re: Explore patterns with GAM

spyros
Thank you very much Andrew! I will follow your suggestion.
Spyros