Extra "Note" in CRAN submission

R devel mailing list
When I run R CMD check on the survival package I invariably get a note:
* checking for file ‘survival/DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
* this is package ‘survival’ version ‘3.2-6’
* checking CRAN incoming feasibility ... NOTE
Maintainer: ‘Terry M Therneau <[hidden email]>’

This is sufficient for the auto-check process to return the following failure message:

Dear maintainer,

package survival_3.2-6.tar.gz does not pass the incoming checks automatically, please see the following pre-tests:
Windows:<https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/survival_3.2-6_20200925_002515/Windows/00check.log>

----------

In the interest of smoothing things out for the CRAN maintainers I would make this message go away, but I don't see how.  Below is the DESCRIPTION file.   Thanks in advance for any hints.

Terry T.

--------------

Title: Survival Analysis
Maintainer: Terry M Therneau <[hidden email]>
Date: 2020-09-24
Depends: R (>= 3.4.0)
Imports: graphics, Matrix, methods, splines, stats, utils
LazyData: Yes
LazyLoad: Yes
ByteCompile: Yes
Authors@R: c(person(c("Terry", "M"), "Therneau",
                     email="[hidden email]",
                    role=c("aut", "cre")),
                person("Thomas", "Lumley", role=c("ctb", "trl"),
               comment="original S->R port and R maintainer until 2009"),
               person("Atkinson", "Elizabeth", role="ctb"),
               person("Crowson", "Cynthia", role="ctb"))
             definition of Surv objects,
             Kaplan-Meier and Aalen-Johansen (multi-state) curves, Cox models,
             and parametric accelerated failure time models.
License: LGPL (>=2)

Re: Extra "Note" in CRAN submission

Henrik Singmann-2
Dear Terry,

You misunderstand the note. The problem is that your tar.gz is too
large. The critical bit is:
Size of tarball: 7528635 bytes

The CRAN repository policies state:
"Packages should be of the minimum necessary size. Reasonable
compression should be used for data (not just .rda files) and PDF
documentation: CRAN will if necessary pass the latter through qpdf.
As a general rule, neither data nor documentation should exceed 5MB
(which covers several books). A CRAN package is not an appropriate way
to distribute course notes, and authors will be asked to trim their
documentation to a maximum of 5MB.
Where a large amount of data is required (even after compression),
consideration should be given to a separate data-only package which
can be updated only rarely (since older versions of packages are
archived in perpetuity)."

But I agree with you that this is the one note that is very easy to
overlook as it is kind of hidden after the name bit.

Best,
Henrik

Am Fr., 25. Sept. 2020 um 12:59 Uhr schrieb Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D.
via R-devel <[hidden email]>:

> When I run R CMD check on the survival package I invariably get a note:
> * checking for file ‘survival/DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
> * this is package ‘survival’ version ‘3.2-6’
> * checking CRAN incoming feasibility ... NOTE
> Maintainer: ‘Terry M Therneau <[hidden email]>’
>
> This is sufficient for the auto-check process to return the following failure message:
>
> Dear maintainer,
>

> package survival_3.2-6.tar.gz does not pass the incoming checks automatically, please see the following pre-tests:
> Windows:<https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/survival_3.2-6_20200925_002515/Windows/00check.log>
>

> ----------
>
> In the interest of smoothing things out for the CRAN maintainers I would make this message go away, but I don't see how.  Below is the DESCRIPTION file.   Thanks in advance for any hints.
>
> Terry T.
>
> --------------
>
> Title: Survival Analysis
> Maintainer: Terry M Therneau <[hidden email]>
> Date: 2020-09-24
> Depends: R (>= 3.4.0)
> Imports: graphics, Matrix, methods, splines, stats, utils
> LazyData: Yes
> LazyLoad: Yes
> ByteCompile: Yes
> Authors@R: c(person(c("Terry", "M"), "Therneau",
>                      email="[hidden email]",
>                     role=c("aut", "cre")),
>                 person("Thomas", "Lumley", role=c("ctb", "trl"),
>                comment="original S->R port and R maintainer until 2009"),
>                person("Atkinson", "Elizabeth", role="ctb"),
>                person("Crowson", "Cynthia", role="ctb"))
>              definition of Surv objects,
>              Kaplan-Meier and Aalen-Johansen (multi-state) curves, Cox models,
>              and parametric accelerated failure time models.
> License: LGPL (>=2)

Dr. Henrik Singmann
Lecturer, Experimental Psychology
University College London (UCL), UK