Factor to variable

bjlwilkinson
I have a data frame called z that includes four columns:

Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4
Text1 Text2 X0.1 5
Text1 Text2 X0.2 10
Text1 Text2 X0.3 15
Text1 Text3 X0.1 5
Text1 Text3 X0.2 10
Text1 Text3 X0.3 15

I am trying to convert the 3rd column to the numeric value excluding the X so that I can produce a lattice plot.

I have tried a number of approaches including z$Col3[z$Col3=="X0.1"]="0.1" as a first step but get an error: invalid factor level NAs generated.

Re: Factor to variable

Pete Brecknock
Hi

How about ...

# Data
lines = "Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4
Text1 Text2 X0.1 5
Text1 Text2 X0.2 10
Text1 Text2 X0.3 15
Text1 Text3 X0.1 5
Text1 Text3 X0.2 10
Text1 Text3 X0.3 15"

# Create Dataframe
DF <- read.table(textConnection(lines), header = TRUE, check.names = FALSE)

# Create Numeric Variable
DF$Col5 = as.numeric(sub("X","",DF$Col3))

HTH

Pete