Follow up on installing formatR...

Brian Lunergan
Good morning folks:

Made a second go at installing this and succeeded, but with some strange
behaviours along the way. First the system back story.

Using up to date edition Ubuntu 8.04

Using up to date edition of R 2.10.1

Using the Toronto, Ontario repository to draw from.

After the first attempt ended up with two of the four dependencies
installed so only the Rgtk related items would be needed this time. Went
into synaptic and found r-cran-rgtk2. Okay. Sounded likely so I installed
it successfully. Using a root terminal session I went back into R and ran
install.packages("formatR"). Pulled in two dependencies plus the main
choice. Rejected one and kept two when it came time to install but still
installed successfully, or so it seemed when I ran library(formatR). Go
figure. A copy of the message run follows. Any comments or suggestions will
be of interest.

> install.packages("formatR")
Warning in install.packages("formatR") :
  argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
also installing the dependencies ‘RGtk2’, ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’

trying URL 'http://probability.ca/cran/src/contrib/RGtk2_2.12.18.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2206504 bytes (2.1 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 2.1 Mb

trying URL 'http://probability.ca/cran/src/contrib/gWidgetsRGtk2_0.0-64.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 138192 bytes (134 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 134 Kb

trying URL 'http://probability.ca/cran/src/contrib/formatR_0.1-3.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2672 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 2672 bytes

* installing *source* package ‘RGtk2’ ...
checking for LIBGLADE... no
configure: WARNING: libglade not found
checking for INTROSPECTION... no
checking for GTK... no
configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RGtk2’
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RGtk2’
* installing *source* package ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’ ...
** R
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices ...
* DONE (gWidgetsRGtk2)
* installing *source* package ‘formatR’ ...
** R
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices ...
* DONE (formatR)

The downloaded packages are in
        ‘/tmp/RtmpNL20Be/downloaded_packages’
Warning message:
In install.packages("formatR") :
  installation of package 'RGtk2' had non-zero exit status

--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

Re: Follow up on installing formatR...

Michael Lawrence-3
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Brian Lunergan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good morning folks:
>
> Made a second go at installing this and succeeded, but with some strange
> behaviours along the way. First the system back story.

My only guess is that installing RGtk2 from source is only possible if you
have the gtk-devel package installed, i.e., the one with the headers.
Otherwise, you'll need the r-cran-rgtk2 binary.

Michael