General help - online statistics courses?

General help - online statistics courses?

kensuguro
I understand this isn't a r specific question.  I'm switching departments to work with the analytics team at my company as a "service" side manager to better incorporate the analytics process into product design / production.  We're an online gaming company.

As I'm going through tools like R, rapidminer, tableau, I was also thinking that I should get some formal training in statistics, since my formal background is in media arts - it's quite a jump..  I was wondering if there was a single go to place for online courses for statistics.  I've checked out statistics.com and have found a bunch of online courses from various universities, but it's very difficult to find info about how the courses are different from each other, which ones aren't worth it, etc..

I'd greatly appreciate any advice.  I apologize in advance if asking here was inappropriate.

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

Mitchell Maltenfort
My approach has been autodidactic. There's a bookstore near me (Barnes
and Noble at U of Penn) that has a terrific stats section. Amazon also
has a lot of books, including limited online browsing + reader
recommendations.

On 9/8/11, kensuguro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand this isn't a r specific question.  I'm switching departments to
> work with the analytics team at my company as a "service" side manager to
> better incorporate the analytics process into product design / production.
> We're an online gaming company.
>
> As I'm going through tools like R, rapidminer, tableau, I was also thinking
> that I should get some formal training in statistics, since my formal
> background is in media arts - it's quite a jump..  I was wondering if there
> was a single go to place for online courses for statistics.  I've checked
> out statistics.com and have found a bunch of online courses from various
> universities, but it's very difficult to find info about how the courses are
> different from each other, which ones aren't worth it, etc..
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any advice.  I apologize in advance if asking here
> was inappropriate.

Sent from my mobile device

I can answer any question.  "I don't know" is an answer. "I don't know yet"
is a better answer.

Also, look at ocw.mit.edu for free course notes with statistical content.

On 9/8/11, kensuguro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand this isn't a r specific question.  I'm switching departments to
> work with the analytics team at my company as a "service" side manager to
> better incorporate the analytics process into product design / production.
> We're an online gaming company.
>
> As I'm going through tools like R, rapidminer, tableau, I was also thinking
> that I should get some formal training in statistics, since my formal
> background is in media arts - it's quite a jump..  I was wondering if there
> was a single go to place for online courses for statistics.  I've checked
> out statistics.com and have found a bunch of online courses from various
> universities, but it's very difficult to find info about how the courses are
> different from each other, which ones aren't worth it, etc..
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any advice.  I apologize in advance if asking here
> was inappropriate.

Sent from my mobile device

I can answer any question.  "I don't know" is an answer. "I don't know yet"
is a better answer.

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

Spencer Graves-2
       Have you looked at www.r-project.org -> books?  Also,
"www.r-project.org -> CRAN (select a mirror) -> Documentation:
Contributed" includes a variety of documents that are free and
potentially quite helpful.

       Also, I wouldn't be shy about asking co-workers for suggestions.
  (I'd rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.)

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer Graves

On 9/8/2011 11:19 AM, Mitchell Maltenfort wrote:

> Also, look at ocw.mit.edu for free course notes with statistical content.
>
> On 9/8/11, kensuguro<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I understand this isn't a r specific question.  I'm switching departments to
>> work with the analytics team at my company as a "service" side manager to
>> better incorporate the analytics process into product design / production.
>> We're an online gaming company.
>>
>> As I'm going through tools like R, rapidminer, tableau, I was also thinking
>> that I should get some formal training in statistics, since my formal
>> background is in media arts - it's quite a jump..  I was wondering if there
>> was a single go to place for online courses for statistics.  I've checked
>> out statistics.com and have found a bunch of online courses from various
>> universities, but it's very difficult to find info about how the courses are
>> different from each other, which ones aren't worth it, etc..
>>
>> I'd greatly appreciate any advice.  I apologize in advance if asking here
>> was inappropriate.
>>
>> --

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126
ph:  408-655-4567
web:  www.structuremonitoring.com

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

Rolf Turner-3
On 09/09/11 06:46, Spencer Graves wrote:

<SNIP>
> I'd rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

<SNIP>

Fortune?

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

Paul Hiemstra-2

You could also consider following a statistics course at a university
near you, if you can convince your boss to give you the time. Maybe an
"Introductory Statistics" course is all you need.

cheers,
Paul

On 09/08/2011 04:49 PM, kensuguro wrote:

> I understand this isn't a r specific question.  I'm switching departments to
> work with the analytics team at my company as a "service" side manager to
> better incorporate the analytics process into product design / production.
> We're an online gaming company.
>
> As I'm going through tools like R, rapidminer, tableau, I was also thinking
> that I should get some formal training in statistics, since my formal
> background is in media arts - it's quite a jump..  I was wondering if there
> was a single go to place for online courses for statistics.  I've checked
> out statistics.com and have found a bunch of online courses from various
> universities, but it's very difficult to find info about how the courses are
> different from each other, which ones aren't worth it, etc..
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any advice.  I apologize in advance if asking here
> was inappropriate.

Paul Hiemstra, Ph.D.
Global Climate Division
Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI)
Wilhelminalaan 10 | 3732 GK | De Bilt | Kamer B 3.39
P.O. Box 201 | 3730 AE | De Bilt
tel: +31 30 2206 494

http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul
http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/paul-hiemstra/20/30b/770

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

Paul Hiemstra-2
 And do take a look at Open Courseware:

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

cheers,
Paul

On 09/09/2011 09:30 AM, Paul Hiemstra wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> You could also consider following a statistics course at a university
> near you, if you can convince your boss to give you the time. Maybe an
> "Introductory Statistics" course is all you need.
>
> cheers,
> Paul
>
> On 09/08/2011 04:49 PM, kensuguro wrote:
>> I understand this isn't a r specific question.  I'm switching departments to
>> work with the analytics team at my company as a "service" side manager to
>> better incorporate the analytics process into product design / production.
>> We're an online gaming company.
>>
>> As I'm going through tools like R, rapidminer, tableau, I was also thinking
>> that I should get some formal training in statistics, since my formal
>> background is in media arts - it's quite a jump..  I was wondering if there
>> was a single go to place for online courses for statistics.  I've checked
>> out statistics.com and have found a bunch of online courses from various
>> universities, but it's very difficult to find info about how the courses are
>> different from each other, which ones aren't worth it, etc..
>>
>> I'd greatly appreciate any advice.  I apologize in advance if asking here
>> was inappropriate.
>>
>> --

Paul Hiemstra, Ph.D.
Global Climate Division
Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI)
Wilhelminalaan 10 | 3732 GK | De Bilt | Kamer B 3.39
P.O. Box 201 | 3730 AE | De Bilt
tel: +31 30 2206 494

http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul
http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/paul-hiemstra/20/30b/770

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

Michael Griffiths
Hi Kensuguro,

I would try the Royal Statistical Society, based in London. They have a
range of courses from relatively basic through to graduate level, all of
which are based on distance learning. However, what they also have now are
modularised programmes, which might be ideal for you, as you are able to
select those areas in which you are particularly interested.

Good Luck!

Mike Griffiths

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM, kensuguro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand this isn't a r specific question.  I'm switching departments
> work with the analytics team at my company as a "service" side manager to
> better incorporate the analytics process into product design / production.
> We're an online gaming company.
>
> As I'm going through tools like R, rapidminer, tableau, I was also thinking
> that I should get some formal training in statistics, since my formal
> background is in media arts - it's quite a jump..  I was wondering if there
> was a single go to place for online courses for statistics.  I've checked
> out statistics.com and have found a bunch of online courses from various
> universities, but it's very difficult to find info about how the courses
> are
> different from each other, which ones aren't worth it, etc..
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any advice.  I apologize in advance if asking here
> was inappropriate.

*Michael Griffiths, Ph.D
*Statistician

*Upstream Systems
*23 Old Bond Street, London, W1S 4PZ
Mob +44 750 011 2873
DL   +44 (0) 20 7869 5147
Fax  +44 207 290 1321

*[hidden email] <[hidden email]>*
www.upstreamsystems.com

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

kydaviddoyle

Another option is http://www.khanacademy.org/

Very interesting site.  The guy started out helping out some of his relatives with school  work and then started to do them as videos.  His relatives liked them even better being they could pause/reply them if they didn't understand. They told friends and they told friends and now he is doing it for a living.

Each video is around 10 to 15 mins.  For statistics they have 67 videos and for Probability they have 36 videos.  All free and start out with assuming you have no knowledge of the subject.

I've been doing the stat videos and my son has been doing the Algebra section.

I've been pulling some of the things I've learned how to do in R into a web page.
https://sites.google.com/site/davidsstatistics/

Also Quick R is a great web page for R http://www.statmethods.net/

Take Care
David

Take Care

David Doyle

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

Kjetil Halvorsen
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/09/11 06:46, Spencer Graves wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>>
>> I'd rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Fortune?

Its already there, more or less:
library(fortunes)
fortune("spencer")

kjetil

>    cheers,
>
>        Rolf Turner

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

kanishkporwal
You should try Tutorvista.com
the site offers online statistics help to anyone that is in need. The site is very interactive and helps you get the ace in your desired subject.

Re: General help - online statistics courses?

OnlineStatistics
Hey my friend, I was looking for something that help me find the statistics basis that I needed for my profession, I am an engineer from California and what I can advise to you is that before going to a paid online course, take a free online statistics course.
First, you are going to make some reviewing and them you can move on. I find this site with a whole complete free statistics course and the teacher is awesome:  http://www.online-statistics-course.com/online-course/

Fred