Graphical User Interface (GUI)

vthokienj
I'd like to create a user interface for my R code and have only seen mostly older posts on the subject.
I'm not looking for an IDE for development, but something that the end user of the software would use.
So something that would involve displaying buttons, listboxes, and drop down menus to a user that will facilitate various actions.

I doubt there is anything Visual Studio-like that provides a toolbox to drag and drop, but what would be the simplest way to approach designing an interface? The basic goal of my program is to have the user enter data which would be saved to a database. Then, through the interface, various buttons will draw various graphs on that data.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Re: Graphical User Interface (GUI)

Dean Attali
Isn't this exactly what Shiny is meant for?
http://shiny.rstudio.com/

---
http://deanattali.com

On 8 July 2015 at 11:43, vthokienj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to create a user interface for my R code and have only seen mostly
> older posts on the subject.
> I'm not looking for an IDE for development, but something that the end user
> of the software would use.
> So something that would involve displaying buttons, listboxes, and drop
> down
> menus to a user that will facilitate various actions.
>
> I doubt there is anything Visual Studio-like that provides a toolbox to
> drag
> and drop, but what would be the simplest way to approach designing an
> interface? The basic goal of my program is to have the user enter data
> which
> would be saved to a database. Then, through the interface, various buttons
> will draw various graphs on that data.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Re: Graphical User Interface (GUI)

Peter Meissner-3
Have a look at  gWidgets (John Verzani).

Best, Peter
Am 08.07.2015 22:29 schrieb "Dean Attali" <[hidden email]>:

> Isn't this exactly what Shiny is meant for?
> http://shiny.rstudio.com/
>
> ---
> http://deanattali.com
>
> On 8 July 2015 at 11:43, vthokienj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to create a user interface for my R code and have only seen
> mostly
> > older posts on the subject.
> > I'm not looking for an IDE for development, but something that the end
> user
> > of the software would use.
> > So something that would involve displaying buttons, listboxes, and drop
> > down
> > menus to a user that will facilitate various actions.
> >
> > I doubt there is anything Visual Studio-like that provides a toolbox to
> > drag
> > and drop, but what would be the simplest way to approach designing an
> > interface? The basic goal of my program is to have the user enter data
> > which
> > would be saved to a database. Then, through the interface, various
> buttons
> > will draw various graphs on that data.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Re: Graphical User Interface (GUI)

Fox, John
Dear vthokienj,

One approach would be to write a plug-in package for the Rcmdr package. An
advantage is that data input (at least of rectangular data sets), data
management, etc., are already taken care of. There are about 40 such
plug-ins currently on CRAN, most with names beginning with "RcmdrPlugin.".

The GUI toolkit that's used is Tcl/Tk and the tcltk package is part of the
standard R distribution. Some convenience functions for creating dialogs are
exported by the Rcmdr package for use in plug-ins. A couple of relevant --
if somewhat dated -- articles are in R News <
http://www.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2007-3.pdf > and the Journal of
Statistical Software <http://www.jstatsoft.org/v49/i07>.

Best,
 John

John Fox, Professor
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/

Thanks all for the replies both here and in email. It seems like Shiny is what I am looking for, I guess I just ignored anything R Studio thinking they only made an IDE. I'm going to look into the other suggestions as well. I've only been using R for a few months but look forward to trying these out.

Re: Graphical User Interface (GUI)

Michael Lawrence-3
On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 11:43 AM, vthokienj <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to create a user interface for my R code and have only seen mostly
> older posts on the subject.
> I'm not looking for an IDE for development, but something that the end user
> of the software would use.
> So something that would involve displaying buttons, listboxes, and drop down
> menus to a user that will facilitate various actions.
>
> I doubt there is anything Visual Studio-like that provides a toolbox to drag
> and drop,

Actually, there are a couple of options. QtDesigner is such a tool,
and its output is compatible with the qtbase R package. There's also
Glade, which is compatible with RGtk2.