Help for Beginner!!

Leandre Bassole

Léandre BASSOLE
PhD Student
CNRS-CERDI
65 Bd Francois Mitterrand
Boite Postale 320
63009 Clermont-Ferrand CEDEX 1
FRANCE
Tel : +33 4 73 17 74 45
Fax : +33 4 73 17 74 28

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Leandre Bassole <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Saturday, 27 October, 2007 8:41:05 PM

Hi all!!
I am a new user of R. I am very familar to Stata, but few days ago I have decided to switch to R. But R langage is very difficult.....I really want to know the best way to learn this famous and interesting software.
Best regards!!!

Léandre BASSOLE
PhD Student
CNRS-CERDI
65 Bd Francois Mitterrand
Boite Postale 320
63009 Clermont-Ferrand CEDEX 1
FRANCE
Tel : +33 4 73 17 74 45
Fax : +33 4 73 17 74 28

Re: Help for Beginner!!

Uwe Ligges
Start with reading the manual "An Introduction to R". There is quite a
lot of literature mentioned under "Documentation" on the left hand side
of http://www.r-project.org.

Uwe Ligges

Leandre Bassole wrote:

> Léandre BASSOLE
> PhD Student
> CNRS-CERDI
> 65 Bd Francois Mitterrand
> Boite Postale 320
> 63009 Clermont-Ferrand CEDEX 1
> FRANCE
> Tel : +33 4 73 17 74 45
> Fax : +33 4 73 17 74 28

Re: Help for Beginner!!

John Kane-2
At an utterly basic level, a tutorial like
http://www.math.ilstu.edu/dhkim/Rstuff/Rtutor.html is
very useful.

wrote:

> L�andre BASSOLE
> PhD Student
> CNRS-CERDI
> 65 Bd Francois Mitterrand
> Boite Postale 320
> 63009 Clermont-Ferrand CEDEX 1
> FRANCE
> Tel : +33 4 73 17 74 45
> Fax : +33 4 73 17 74 28

Re: Help for Beginner!!

Liviu Andronic
On 10/28/07, Leandre Bassole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am a new user of R. I am very familar to Stata, but few days ago I have decided to switch to R. But R langage is very difficult.....I really want to know the best way to learn this famous and interesting software.

The following two documents will always be of help:
http://oit.utk.edu/scc/RforSAS&SPSSusers.pdf
http://cran.at.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Farnsworth-EconometricsInR.pdf

Also consider, at the beginning, using a GUI like Rcmdr [1]. It's very
helpful in getting hold of the R syntax and keeping you functional at
the same time.

[1] http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/

Regards,
Liviu

Re: Help for Beginner!!

Gabor Grothendieck
Google for
  CRAN contributed documentation
and the first link google gives will get you to about 2 dozen freely
downloadable introductions which you can choose from while the second
link google gives you is to the R manuals

Also google for
  Wikipedia R Programming Language
and check out the External Links at the bottom of that page.

On 10/28/07, Leandre Bassole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Léandre BASSOLE
> PhD Student
> CNRS-CERDI
> 65 Bd Francois Mitterrand
> Boite Postale 320
> 63009 Clermont-Ferrand CEDEX 1
> FRANCE
> Tel : +33 4 73 17 74 45
> Fax : +33 4 73 17 74 28

Mike Prager
Leandre Bassole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am a new user of R. I am very familar to Stata, but few days ago I have decided to switch to R.
> But R langage is very difficult.....I really want to know the best way to learn this famous and
> interesting software.

I agree with the suggestions made so far.  Also, consider buying
or borrowing a copy of "Introductory Statistics with R" by Peter
Dalgaard.  It is well written and brief.

--
Mike Prager, NOAA, Beaufort, NC