Help from DOS Command Prompt

UncleLewis
Hi all,

I am new to R.
I downloaded and installed R 2.15.1

I tried typing R.exe --help at the DOS Command line C:\", but I keep receiving:
[quote]
R.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command
[/quote]

I tried many variations of R.exe --help, but roughly the same response
Any ideas?

thx

Re: Help from DOS Command Prompt

Pascal Oettli-2
Hello,

If you want to do it, you can add "R.exe" in you "Path" variable. Go to
"Advanced System Settings", then "Environment Variables". But I'm not
sure whether it is the best way to use R under Windows.

Regards

Le 24/07/2012 13:53, goss a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to R.
> I downloaded and installed R 2.15.1
>
> I tried typing R.exe --help at the DOS Command line C:\", but I keep
> receiving:
> [quote]
> R.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command
> [/quote]
>
> I tried many variations of R.exe --help, but roughly the same response
> Any ideas?
>
> thx

Re: Help from DOS Command Prompt

Prof Brian Ripley
On 24/07/2012 07:10, Pascal Oettli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you want to do it, you can add "R.exe" in you "Path" variable. Go to
> "Advanced System Settings", then "Environment Variables". But I'm not
> sure whether it is the best way to use R under Windows.

The documentation says to put the *path to* Rterm.exe in your PATH variable.

R.exe is only provided for compatibility with other platforms.

And BTW, this is the Windows Command Prompt: R does not run under 'DOS'.

> Regards
>

> Le 24/07/2012 13:53, goss a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am new to R.
>> I downloaded and installed R 2.15.1
>>
>> I tried typing R.exe --help at the DOS Command line C:\", but I keep
>> receiving:
>> [quote]
>> R.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command
>> [/quote]
>>
>> I tried many variations of R.exe --help, but roughly the same response
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> thx

Re: Help from DOS Command Prompt

Pascal Oettli-2
Hello,

Sorry for the mistake. I don't use Windows.

Regards

Le 24/07/2012 15:56, Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :

> On 24/07/2012 07:10, Pascal Oettli wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> If you want to do it, you can add "R.exe" in you "Path" variable. Go to
>> "Advanced System Settings", then "Environment Variables". But I'm not
>> sure whether it is the best way to use R under Windows.
>
> The documentation says to put the *path to* Rterm.exe in your PATH
> variable.
>
> R.exe is only provided for compatibility with other platforms.
>
> And BTW, this is the Windows Command Prompt: R does not run under 'DOS'.
>

>> Regards
>>

>> Le 24/07/2012 13:53, goss a écrit :
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am new to R.
>>> I downloaded and installed R 2.15.1
>>>
>>> I tried typing R.exe --help at the DOS Command line C:\", but I keep
>>> receiving:
>>> [quote]
>>> R.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command
>>> [/quote]
>>>
>>> I tried many variations of R.exe --help, but roughly the same response
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> thx

Re: Help from DOS Command Prompt

Jeff Newmiller
For beginners under Windows, running RGui.exe is advisable. I would in addition advise you to set your working directory appropriately (using the menus or setwd) before embarking on significant explorations; avoid using the default save workspace feature (save explicitly if at all); and avoid the use of the "attach" and "detach" functions. Keep a text editor open to build a complete sequence of commands to do your analysis... copy/paste to test each line. A repeatable script means you don't really need to save your workspace at all.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

goss <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am new to R.
>I downloaded and installed R 2.15.1
>
>I tried typing R.exe --help at the DOS Command line C:\", but I keep
>receiving:
>[quote]
>R.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command
>[/quote]
>
>I tried many variations of R.exe --help, but roughly the same response
>Any ideas?
>
>thx

Re: Help from DOS Command Prompt

UncleLewis
Thank you all,

I tried adding to the path variable
...;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin\x64\R.exe

I then entered r.exe --help at the Windows Command Prompt
I received the same error message:
"r.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

I tried many variations or r.exe --help all with the same response.

I then tried adding to the path variable:
...;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin\x64\Rterm.exe

I receive the same error message when I enter r.exe --help and its derivatives at the Windows Command Prompt.

Any other ideas?
Thanks

Re: Help from DOS Command Prompt

jholtman
The PATH variable is a 'path'; you have specified an executable.  Try:

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM, goss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you all,
>
> I tried adding to the path variable
> ...;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin\x64\R.exe
>
> I then entered r.exe --help at the Windows Command Prompt
> I received the same error message:
> "r.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file"
>
> I tried many variations or r.exe --help all with the same response.
>
> I then tried adding to the path variable:
> ...;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin\x64\Rterm.exe
>
> I receive the same error message when I enter r.exe --help and its
> derivatives at the Windows Command Prompt.
>
> Any other ideas?
> Thanks

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru

Re: Help from DOS Command Prompt

UncleLewis
Thanks Jim,

I tried
...;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin\x64
and
...;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin\x64\

I still receive the same error message.

Thanks

Re: Help from DOS Command Prompt

Uwe Ligges-3

On 24.07.2012 15:47, goss wrote:
> Thanks Jim,
>
> I tried
> ...;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin\x64
> and
> ...;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin\x64\
>
> I still receive the same error message.

Can we close this now, please?

1. Learn to write messages to R-help, R-help is not Nabble and we need
the whole thread quoted, please.
2. Learn to ask for local help. Any local technician can help you on
this - rather than spamming Inboxes of several thousand R-help readers.
3. If you post to R-help again, please learn to specify the full
information, i.e.
a) have you opened a new Windows command shell after you set the PATH?
b) What does   "echo %PATH%"  return?

So please read *and follow* the posting guide.

Best,
Uwe Ligges