Help on R Functionality & Histogram

Shivi82
Hello Experts,
I have couple of questions on the analysis I am creating.
1) How does R adopt to changes. The case I have here is that the excel I have started initially had to be modified because the data I had was on hourly basis ranging from 0 to 23 hours. After Changes 0 was modified to 24 in hours. Now do I need to recall this excel again in R using read.csv syntax or is there another way to do so i.e. a kind of reload option
2) I am creating a histogram. I need on x axis 24 hours to be displayed separately as 0,1,2, and thereon. However it only shows till 20 which makes the look awkward. Also all l need to resize the labels and if possible inside the bars. It used the below code, axis fonts have changed but labels give an error with this code

Code:- hist(aaa$Hours,main="Hourly Weight",xlab = "Time",breaks = 25,col = "yellow",ylim = c(0,9000),
     labels=TRUE, cex.axis=0.6,cex.label=0.6)

Kindly advice on the both the questions. Thanks.

Re: Help on R Functionality & Histogram

Boris Steipe
Don't use Nabble when posting to the R-Help forum.

On May 29, 2015, at 7:54 AM, Shivi82 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Experts,
> I have couple of questions on the analysis I am creating.
> 1) How does R adopt to changes. The case I have here is that the excel I
> have started initially had to be modified because the data I had was on
> hourly basis ranging from 0 to 23 hours. After Changes 0 was modified to 24
> in hours. Now do I need to recall this excel again in R using read.csv
> syntax or is there another way to do so i.e. a kind of reload option

No. Reload the data by rerunning your script.

> 2) I am creating a histogram. I need on x axis 24 hours to be displayed
> separately as 0,1,2, and thereon. However it only shows till 20 which makes
> the look awkward. Also all l need to resize the labels and if possible
> inside the bars. It used the below code, axis fonts have changed but labels
> give an error with this code
>
> Code:- hist(aaa$Hours,main="Hourly Weight",xlab = "Time",breaks = 25,col =
> "yellow",ylim = c(0,9000),
>     labels=TRUE, cex.axis=0.6,cex.label=0.6)

The very understandable warning message you must have got with that call tells you that there is no such argument "cex.label".

hist() calls plot.histogram() which internally calls text() to write the labels. text() has an argument "cex", but even if you supply it to hist(), it is not passed to text() via the function body of plot.histogram(). You could modify plot.histogram but the more immediate solution is to set labels = FALSE, and explicitly use text() to write your labels. Try something like

x <- hist(aaa$Hours,
     main="Hourly Weight",
     xlab = "Time",
     breaks = 25,
     col = "yellow",
     ylim = c(0,9000),
     labels=FALSE,
     cex.axis=0.6)

text(x$mids, x$counts * 1.05, labels = x$counts, cex=0.5)

B.