Help to solve an Error

jacksonmrodrigues@gmail.com
Hi,

I want to apply the codes of Gavin Simpson from
http://www.fromthebottomoftheheap.net/2011/06/11/global-warming-since-1995-now-significant/
on my own data to detect trends in a subset. However, when I run:

> grecent <- subset(gtemp, subset = Year &gt;= 1995,select = c(Year,
Annual))

I get error:

Error: unexpected ';' in "grecent <- subset(gtemp, subset = Year &gt;"

I've tried to replace ";" with several things, but it does not work at all.

Could anyone help me to solve this "problem"?

Best Regards,

Jackson Rodrigues

Re: Help to solve an Error

Sarah Goslee
The dangers of HTML: &gt; should be > a greater than symbol.

grecent <- subset(gtemp, subset = Year >= 1995,select = c(Year, Annual))

I've copied Gavin so he can decide whether to fix it.

Sarah

On Thursday, June 4, 2015, Jackson Rodrigues <[hidden email]>

> I want to apply the codes of Gavin Simpson from
>
> http://www.fromthebottomoftheheap.net/2011/06/11/global-warming-since-1995-now-significant/
> on my own data to detect trends in a subset. However, when I run:
>
> > grecent <- subset(gtemp, subset = Year &gt;= 1995,select = c(Year,
> Annual))
>
> I get error:
>
> Error: unexpected ';' in "grecent <- subset(gtemp, subset = Year &gt;"
>
> I've tried to replace ";" with several things, but it does not work at all.
>
> Could anyone help me to solve this "problem"?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Jackson Rodrigues

Sarah Goslee
http://www.stringpage.com
http://www.sarahgoslee.com
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Re: Help to solve an Error

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Jackson,
It looks like you have picked up the HTML code for the right angle
bracket. Try replacing this with a right angle bracket:

grecent<-subset(gtemp,subset = Year>=1995,select = c(Year,Annual))

Jim

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Jackson Rodrigues

> I want to apply the codes of Gavin Simpson from
> http://www.fromthebottomoftheheap.net/2011/06/11/global-warming-since-1995-now-significant/
> on my own data to detect trends in a subset. However, when I run:
>
>> grecent <- subset(gtemp, subset = Year &gt;= 1995,select = c(Year,
> Annual))
>
> I get error:
>
> Error: unexpected ';' in "grecent <- subset(gtemp, subset = Year &gt;"
>
> I've tried to replace ";" with several things, but it does not work at all.
>
> Could anyone help me to solve this "problem"?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Jackson Rodrigues

Re: Help to solve an Error

John Kane
It seems to be some kind of "translation" error from R (or the text editior) to HMTL. That &gt does not work.

Try
 grecent <- subset(gtemp,  Year >= 1995,
                  select = c(Year, Annual))

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada

Re: Help to solve an Error

John Kane
Hi Jim,
It is an problem in Gavin Simpson's code itself. Bad translation from R to HMTL it appears

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada

Re: Help to solve an Error

Jim Lemon-4
Hi all,
Does this have something to do with "markdown"? I recently had to
write something using this and found it much more difficult than HTML.
One missed space or character, which is often hard to see, can turn a
whole line to garbage.

Jim